• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What color underwater led lights? (Now with installation details)

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hope to do so this weekend if the weather holds. I will update you hopefully with pictures.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No matter what band you choose try to go with RGB light as it will give you options down the road to change color.
One thing I found out from Diablo about the RGB that turned me away. If you pick red, green, or blue color you get about 1/3 of the intensity compared to the same single color unit. With RGB you have to pick a color that fires all the colors to get full intensity.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
One thing I found out from Diablo about the RGB that turned me away. If you pick red, green, or blue color you get about 1/3 of the intensity compared to the same single color unit. With RGB you have to pick a color that fires all the colors to get full intensity.
You can always install extra lights ;)

I went with the highest lumens 8000 hoping that will give me better intensity than for example a 2000 lumen light.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Andy, did you go with another brand? So you are saying if you go with the RGB option, and you manually select blue it will be 1/3 as bright as a blue only light?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Andy, did you go with another brand?
I went with Diablo brand but the ones mounted to trim tabs. The wife and I decided to go with white. I put blue leds throughout my Yamaha and loved the look but the problem is on our lake the blue attracted bugs like the old bugs zapper lights, even the under water leds. Also all the factory interior leds on my new boat are white so the white underwater leds go with the theme.
So you are saying if you go with the RGB option, and you manually select blue it will be 1/3 as bright as a blue only light?
That is what Diablo told me. Each RGB led has 1/3 red, 1/3 green, and 1/3 blue leds per unit compared to the same unit size of a single color.

I received my leds today and will be getting my trim tabs tomorrow and will be installing them next week.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
[QUOTE="

That is what Diablo told me. Each RGB led has 1/3 red, 1/3 green, and 1/3 blue leds per unit compared to the same unit size of a single color.

I received my leds today and will be getting my trim tabs tomorrow and will be installing them next week.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. Ok well I guess I will think it over. The color changing RGB's sound could though!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll be following closely as I don't mind installing to the boat but wouldn't mind an alternative to that. Can't wait to see final results.

What are you thoughts on product quality this far? If you don't mind posting photos of the lights by themselves prior to install?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What are you thoughts on product quality this far? If you don't mind posting photos of the lights by themselves prior to install?
So far the quality seems top notch. I definitely will do a write up with photos. If you look at my first post they're is a stock picture of the light (one not on trim tab) that matches what I got. I'll post pictures next week when I get back in town.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I went with the transom mount Dagon 5150 8000K in blue. Very happy with the results and the quality of the product.

light.jpg Wake1.jpg

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
A single 8000 lumens RGB light from Diablo tested this evening in murky river water.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those are pretty bright. Esp the single color blue

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All the parts (with the exception of wiring) are here and getting ready for the installation. Lectrotabs 12x12 and ALC-1 (automatic) control plus Diablo trim tab led lights in solid white. Again I want to thank Dan at @lectrotabs for his patients and knowledge in answering all my questions.

The installation was very straight forward and no unexpected surprises. If I wasn't so anal/paranoid I think I could of had everything installed in about 3 to 4 hours but by over thinking thinks it took me about 8 hours to complete the install. I'm hoping that since I don't have to run any wiring in my boat, thanks to it being pre-wired and with deutsch connectors, that adding the other side connectors, plugging and play should only take an hour or so but if I was a betting man it will probably be closer to 2 to 3 hours.
Trim tabs and led parts.jpg

Trim tabs modified for led's and assemble to check for fit.
Trim tabs and led assembled front.jpg Trim tabs and led assembled side.jpg
I hope most of you aren't offended by what is hanging down between the trim tabs.
The trim tabs are installed, I would have liked to put them farther away from center but on my boat this is the only flat spot on the transom. The farther out you put the trim tabs the better they will control the roll of your boat which is one of the reasons I'm adding tabs.
Trim tabs only mounted closeup.jpg
Transom work is complete all that is left is the wiring.
Trim tabs and led installed.jpg Trim tabs and led installed closeup.jpg Trim tabs and led installed side.jpg
Controller mounted on the dash with before and after pictures.
Before
Dash before Trim tab controller.jpg
After
Dash after Trim tab controller.jpg

Unfortunately I have run out of time, work is now consuming my time until late next week, got to love 12 hour shifts. I will post details and pictures once the wiring and water test is complete.

Last edited:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Andy S the pictures are not working on my end. Maybe it is just me. Great write up can't wait to hear and see the final results.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Andy S the pictures are not working on my end. Maybe it is just me. Great write up can't wait to hear and see the final results.
They're working on my phone but I did noticed last night that they weren't showing at work, I just figured it was our work network. Later today I'll reload the pictures.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They're working on my phone but I did noticed last night that they weren't showing at work, I just figured it was our work network. Later today I'll reload the pictures.
I tried on my phone (iPhone) and not working. No rush just wanted to make you aware.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Same here. I keep seeing "-" signs where the images should be.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same here. I keep seeing "-" signs where the images should be.
I've edited the post and reloaded the pictures, hopefully you can seem them now, thanks for letting me know.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Curious to see how they look when she's in the water. I know when I call the company they stated not to run the light out of the water for more than a few seconds. Ours is mounted 1" above the drain plug (3" from bottom of hull) and when up on plane the light is no longer below the waterline. As long as some water is splashing on the light housing you're good to go.