• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What color underwater led lights? (Now with installation details)

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@jpass he has a stern drive so the tabs will be submerged while operating.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@jpass he has a stern drive so the tabs will be submerged while operating.
I was thinking about how much water they'll see when on plane. Mine sees very little. This is the best pic I could find to show what I'm talking about. If the lights are on top of the tab, then they may get very little water spray to keep em cool.

trim-tabs-on-powerboat.jpg

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was thinking about how much water they'll see when on plane. Mine sees very little. This is the best pic I could find to show what I'm talking about. If the lights are on top of the tab, then they may get very little water spray to keep em cool.

View attachment 52596
I'm with you on how much water they will see while underway, check that is on my list of things to look at when I performance test the trim tabs. On my Yamaha we used the transom mounted underwater led mostly while hanging out not while underway. Our lake police are not fans of allow the use of underwater led's while underway. About the only time I use my led's while underway is in the Bahamas.

1948Isaac

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All the parts (with the exception of wiring) are here and getting ready for the installation. Lectrotabs 12x12 and ALC-1 (automatic) control plus Diablo trim tab led lights in solid white. Again I want to thank Dan at @lectrotabs for his patients and knowledge in answering all my questions.

The installation was very straight forward and no unexpected surprises. If I wasn't so anal/paranoid I think I could of had everything installed in about 3 to 4 hours but by over thinking thinks it took me about 8 hours to complete the install. I'm hoping that since I don't have to run any wiring in my boat, thanks to it being pre-wired and with deutsch connectors, that adding the other side connectors, plugging and play should only take an hour or so but if I was a betting man it will probably be closer to 2 to 3 hours.
View attachment 52508

Trim tabs modified for led's and assemble to check for fit.
View attachment 52509 View attachment 52510
I hope most of you aren't offended by what is hanging down between the trim tabs.
The trim tabs are installed, I would have liked to put them farther away from center but on my boat this is the only flat spot on the transom. The farther out you put the trim tabs the better they will control the roll of your boat which is one of the reasons I'm adding tabs.
View attachment 52511
Transom work is complete all that is left is the wiring.
View attachment 52512 View attachment 52513 View attachment 52514
Controller mounted on the dash with before and after pictures.
Before
View attachment 52515
After
View attachment 52516

Unfortunately I have run out of time, work is now consuming my time until late next week, got to love 12 hour shifts. I will post details and pictures once the wiring and water test is complete.
@Andy S. The tabs look great... Did you test them already.... I bet they will make a huge difference..... great set up

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Andy S. The tabs look great... Did you test them already.... I bet they will make a huge difference..... great set up
Thanks! I haven't yet tested them. The deutsch connectors will be delivered tomorrow, Wed, Mar 15th but I won't get time to install them until this coming Monday which I hope to get both the connectors installed and the boat tested.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last night I was able to test the Diablo trim tab led's but wasn't able to test the Lectrotab trim tabs due to the lake being class.

Here is a still shot of the led's, wish I had something to compare it to. In my opinion the two led's put off a lot of light. The red reflective light in the water is from the restaurant that we just left.
Trim tab leds.jpg

Here is a video the was recorded by @Mainah with my GoPro,
. As @jpass correctly stated the led's are out of the water while underway which is ok by me since technically you are not supposed to have them on while moving. At no-wake speed the leds are fully submerged.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very awesome! I'm still undecided what lights and where I want to mount. But looks great and very nice install!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The lights do look good in person. So does the boat. Thanks for the tour Andy. Looking foward to more outings.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just put in my order for the Dagon 5150 in RGB. Anyone know how much wire this comes with? Was looking to put a missile switch at the helm to turn it on/off. Or is everyone just using the included remote control for on/off?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just put in my order for the Dagon 5150 in RGB. Anyone know how much wire this comes with? Was looking to put a missile switch at the helm to turn it on/off. Or is everyone just using the included remote control for on/off?
My trim tab mount LED's came with 6' of wire and that was the same length that came with the coastal LED's I put on my Yamaha.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Andy S How long did it take to get your lights after you ordered?

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
As someone mentioned above, the line coming off the light is roughly 6" in length. I went with a switch in addition to the remote. I mounted the switch to the backside of the battery switch cover as this was protected from the elements and would prevent people from inadvertently hitting the light switch. (not sure why the pic is upside down?)
Switch.jpg

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im looking into mounting one of these lights, probably just one...above the drain/keel, can anyone tell me how I access that area from inside the boat to feed the wire?

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really want these lights just not sure which ones?
Either dagons 5150 or Lumitech seablazex.
I’d prob get two but I’m leaning toward the dagons.
I want to alternate colors but I don’t want 1/3 output. Damn this shit isn’t easy.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really want these lights just not sure which ones?
Either dagons 5150 or Lumitech seablazex.
I’d prob get two but I’m leaning toward the dagons.
I want to alternate colors but I don’t want 1/3 output. Damn this shit isn’t easy.
I’ve really got the bug for underwater lighting too. I’m leaning towards the Trinity Transom light due to it being 24K lumens. I’d think if it was centered on the transom it would look extremely bright.
I’m curious @jeff_s if you’re leaning towards two 5150s to put 1 on each side of the transom just to spread the light out? For $100 more than the 5150 you can pick up the Trinity and get 3X the lumens.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve really got the bug for underwater lighting too. I’m leaning towards the Trinity Transom light due to it being 24K lumens. I’d think if it was centered on the transom it would look extremely bright.
I’m curious @jeff_s if you’re leaning towards two 5150s to put 1 on each side of the transom just to spread the light out? For $100 more than the 5150 you can pick up the Trinity and get 3X the lumens.

Well I was thinking of two of them but now you have me all messed up... lmao.

I didn’t know Trinity Transom lights existed until you showed me light. Lol.

I know nothing about lumens but that’s a lot of them!

I wonder if the trinity would fit below the scupper?

Great post!

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I take that back two 5150s would be the same price as the Trinity but you’re still short 8K lumens.
I’m just looking to get the right light and seeing if I’m overlooking something.
Has anyone tried the Trinity?