• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you tow your 190 with?

kevalbanya

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I assume you will be on the highway, so you should be fine in term of roters. I would not go 80mph though.

If your trailer does not have brakes you should add brakes it is not a difficult job and will be safer as well as help the vans brakes
@Betik Thank you!
Yes, my AR190’s trailer has brakes. The surge brakes are a standard for the new boat now. I will do my best to drive at 55mph speed according to the recommendations.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@SCP1 Thank you!

Yes, my AR190’s trailer has brakes. The surge brakes are a standard for the new boat now.

I don’t have a trailer hitch yet. I am planning to do it at Uhaul next week. After the hitch is installed, I am going to measure it and buy the correct ball mount.

A few years ago, we trade in our highlander and bought the odyssey for the space because we didn’t know that we will get a boat after a few years. Anyway, it wasn’t a very wise move. I will probably tow with odyssey for a few years before I switch to a all-wheel drive SUV. Towing compacity wasn’t a factor when I bought a car in the past and I will make the right decision when we buy our next car.

I am planning to install the transmission cooler too at the dealer. Since we are on this topic, I am planning to buy an OBDII Scan Tool like below to monitor the transmission temperature, I don’t know for sure if it is going to work yet as I got some mixed answers. Do you have any experience with that?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00652G4TS
I use an elm327 obd2 connector and the Torque Android App to track Transmission temperature on my Odyssey. Not sure that Bluedriver obd2 will work with the torque app?

kevalbanya

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use an elm327 obd2 connector and the Torque Android App to track Transmission temperature on my Odyssey. Not sure that Bluedriver obd2 will work with the torque app?
Thank you. That saves me a lot of effort to try different ones. I appreciate it.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@SCP1 Thank you!

Yes, my AR190’s trailer has brakes. The surge brakes are a standard for the new boat now.

I don’t have a trailer hitch yet. I am planning to do it at Uhaul next week. After the hitch is installed, I am going to measure it and buy the correct ball mount.

A few years ago, we trade in our highlander and bought the odyssey for the space because we didn’t know that we will get a boat after a few years. Anyway, it wasn’t a very wise move. I will probably tow with odyssey for a few years before I switch to a all-wheel drive SUV. Towing compacity wasn’t a factor when I bought a car in the past and I will make the right decision when we buy our next car.

I am planning to install the transmission cooler too at the dealer. Since we are on this topic, I am planning to buy an OBDII Scan Tool like below to monitor the transmission temperature, I don’t know for sure if it is going to work yet as I got some mixed answers. Do you have any experience with that?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00652G4TS
I never worried about the Trans Temp with the cooler installed. However I never felt like I was over working it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never worried about the Trans Temp with the cooler installed. However I never felt like I was over working it.
I would be a bit cautious about that. It is one of those things that you see the consequences of later on. Like insteaded of lasting 200k miles you need a new tranny at 70k.

having a transmission cooler on an Honda does not mean that you can tow a 190 from Arizona to Miami at 80mph In the middle of the summer.

I had a friend who wanted to buy my pilot and I told him that after towing it i would not sale it to friend.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$5 Torque app and $10 ELM327 device owner as well. It's such a cheap combo, and so worth the money I don't know why more people don't have that setup. Super handy tools for monitoring and troubleshooting a vehicle.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would be a bit cautious about that. It is one of those things that you see the consequences of later on. Like insteaded of lasting 200k miles you need a new tranny at 70k.

having a transmission cooler on an Honda does not mean that you can tow a 190 from Arizona to Miami at 80mph In the middle of the summer.

I had a friend who wanted to buy my pilot and I told him that after towing it i would not sale it to friend.
Agree a 100%, however I did not tow in extreme conditions. All my boating was within an hour of my house in WI.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've towed a lot of things with properly equipped minivans mostly Odys. Just change tranny fluid on the aggressive driving schedule. As for a unbraked 3000 lb trailer, I don't think an F150 is even rated to tow it. I'm glad they added brakes to the 190 trailers.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've towed a lot of things with properly equipped minivans mostly Odys. Just change tranny fluid on the aggressive driving schedule. As for a unbraked 3000 lb trailer, I don't think an F150 is even rated to tow it. I'm glad they added brakes to the 190 trailers.
Yeah that is a great addition, my AR195 had trailer brakes and it made a huge difference.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most states have a 3,500lb limit on unbraked trailers.

Most fullsize pickups limit trailer weight to ~5k or less without a WDH, Crossovers and minivans are usually lower than that (same 3,500lbs seems common).

90% of people towing a trailer have no idea what the local laws are or what the actual capabilities and ratings of their vehicles are.

I'm glad they added brakes to the 190's as well. I'm really close to putting electrics on my 190. Not had any stopping issues with my FS pickup at this point, but the brakes are wearing faster than I like. Just seems to make sense to let that extra set of wheels share in the braking duties.

kevalbanya

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the information. I think I am going to stick to the recommendation to drive at 55 mph. It is much slower than what I normally drive, but safety first. Hopefully, I will get used to it.

Eventually, I am thinking about switching to toyota sequoia or chevrolet tahoe at some point. But I could not convince my wife yet. That is the main reason we chose a 19 ft instead of 21 ft.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most states have a 3,500lb limit on unbraked trailers.

Most fullsize pickups limit trailer weight to ~5k or less without a WDH, Crossovers and minivans are usually lower than that (same 3,500lbs seems common).

90% of people towing a trailer have no idea what the local laws are or what the actual capabilities and ratings of their vehicles are.

I'm glad they added brakes to the 190's as well. I'm really close to putting electrics on my 190. Not had any stopping issues with my FS pickup at this point, but the brakes are wearing faster than I like. Just seems to make sense to let that extra set of wheels share in the braking duties.
Not sure about other states, but currently in Ohio the law is 3000 lbs. I guess that's why they had to put them on the 190's trailers now. "(5) Every watercraft trailer with a gross weight or manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of three thousand pounds or more that is manufactured or assembled on or after January 1, 2008, shall have separate brakes equipped with hydraulic surge or electrically operated brakes on two wheels. "

SamAR195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018 Tundra and I can’t even feel it back there.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right now, I'm towing with my 2019 Ford F250. Planning to install a hitch on my wife's 2020 BMW X5 so she can tow the boat while I tow the camper.

To make it easier for me to put the boat in my garage I used my Ford 1920. 🙂

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right now, I'm towing with my 2019 Ford F250. Planning to install a hitch on my wife's 2020 BMW X5 so she can tow the boat while I tow the camper.

To make it easier for me to put the boat in my garage I used my Ford 1920. 🙂
Good grief that boat looks like a jet-ski behind that truck.

I'm working hard to talk my wife into a tow vehicle for our 190, so I can get a 3500 and a camper. First order of business is finding a money tree :D

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I think I have shared this before, but the best tow rig for a 190 is the Acura MDX baby!!!

Purchase Day AR195.JPG

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Backing it up to the garage with the ford tractor.IMG_3688.jpg

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20200906_151230.jpg
Love the v8. Same tow rating as the Expedition Max with the eco boost. Just wish it had better gas mileage, but does great on the slippery docs.