• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What # gauge cables are battery cables?

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long time reader, first time poster. Glad to be here.

I have a 2013 AR190. Im going through my dewinterization process getting the boat ready for the upcoming season, and I discovered a lot of rust on my battery terminal positive wire (see pictures). As you can see there is considerably more rust on the battery end, than on the perko end.

Regardless, I want to replace this entire cable. However, my question is, what gauge cable is this? Does anyone know?

I looked on the parts website (item number 19 on the site):

2013 Yamaha AR190 (RX1800AM) Electrical 3 | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

Item 19
Yamaha F2J-U827J-00-00 - Wire Harness 7 : Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

But it does not say what gauge cable it is. I can buy it much cheaper off amazon than the oem part from the site, so that is what I am looking to do.

Thanks for the help!
20200408_152111 (1).jpg20200408_152042.jpg

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
On my 2019 AR195, it was AWG 6. You might be able to find pre-crimped cables from an auto parts store or marine chandlery. I don't recommend crimping your own unless you have a hydraulic crimper. Ideally, one also does a destructive pull test to ensure crimp quality. A good chandlery will be able to crimp it for you.

Ideally, get marine tinned cable as it resists corrosion better and is flexible.

Your cable might be long enough to cut of the ends, get to good conductor, and recrimp. Buy the best terminals you can find and coat them after installation.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had to google chandlery.

Hammer style crimper is more than sufficient for battery leads, recently used this one when making new cables for my boat.

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might be able to find pre-crimped cables from an auto parts store or marine chandlery. I don't recommend crimping your own unless you have a hydraulic crimper. Ideally, one also does a destructive pull test to ensure crimp quality.

Ideally, get marine tinned cable as it resists corrosion better and is flexible.
I would prefer to just purchase a whole new setup crimped and ready to go. I do not have my own crimper and besides this I wouldnt see much need for it in the future.

I have already purchased two cables off of Amazon, gauge 4 and another gauge 6. I figured it was one of those. Looking at the new cables and old cable, it seems that the size of the old cable is the same thickness as the new gauge 4 cable. But I wanted to be sure with you guys on here first before I go and install on the boat. Is there any benefit/disadvantage to using 4 compared to 6?

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just ordered 4 AWG wires with 3/8 lugs to add a second battery to my 2014 212x.

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered 4 AWG wires with 3/8 lugs to add a second battery to my 2014 212x.
Thats exactly what I bought. Ok, I am just going to use the 4 awg cable then.

I am handy with a lot of things, but electric is the one thing I really know nothing about. lol.

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just didnt know what the consequences would be if I use the 4 gauge when I should have used the 6 gauge, or vice versa....

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You never want to go smaller (up the gauge scale), but thicker is ok (down the gauge scale). I used this site which is highly recommended on the mastercraft site i use to frequent. I just replaced all my cables on my mastercraft, quick shipping. I even color coded the ends, example, house battery ground cable is black, but heat shrink on the ends is blue. makes tracing a lot easier.
Marine Wiring, Boat Cable and Electrical Genuinedealz.com

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As per above, going bigger is always better for the electrical system. But it's harder on the pocket book...

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2013 AR190. Im going through my dewinterization process getting the boat ready for the upcoming season, and I discovered a lot of rust on my battery terminal positive wire (see pictures). As you can see there is considerably more rust on the battery end, than on the perko end.
After you get that shiny new cable on there, put a small dollup (not too much as it can be messy and greasy) of good old fashioned petroleum jelly from your garage or bathroom cupboard over the exposed metal cable and posts - it will greatly reduce oxidation and rust all year. If you take the battery out for the winter, clean the cables and posts when you remove them, and then in the spring after you connect it, get another $0.01 worth of jelly and coat again. Repeat each year and your cables will outlast you....been doing it every spring to keep the terminals clean for years.

Do the same on your vehicle batteries every fall. A single tub of jelly will last for years, great stuff and really cheap.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Long time reader, first time poster. Glad to be here.

Regardless, I want to replace this entire cable. However, my question is, what gauge cable is this? Does anyone know?

I looked on the parts website (item number 19 on the site):

2013 Yamaha AR190 (RX1800AM) Electrical 3 | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

Item 19
Yamaha F2J-U827J-00-00 - Wire Harness 7 : Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

But it does not say what gauge cable it is. I can buy it much cheaper off amazon than the oem part from the site, so that is what I am looking to do.

Thanks for the help!
View attachment 116098View attachment 116099
So I did not see anyone state this. But in the first pic both of those wires are Positive.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I did not see anyone state this. But in the first pic both of those wires are Positive.
It should be power in power out of the shut off switch. I thought the same thing when I looked at it.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I saw it right off. Glad others did too. Both are positive. Negative will be black.

20200417_093403.jpg

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I saw it right off. Glad others did too. Both are positive. Negative will be black.

View attachment 116145
Hold up... @kennetht if that's your battery cutoff switch they are both positive, so both red is correct. Remember when the switch is in the "ON" positions those two wires are shorted, so they are essentially the same wire.

West Marine or any auto parts store sells these pre-crimped.

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hold up... @kennetht if that's your battery cutoff switch they are both positive, so both red is correct. Remember when the switch is in the "ON" positions those two wires are shorted, so they are essentially the same wire.

West Marine or any auto parts store sells these pre-crimped.
I'm shot, you guys are correct. Both are positive. Not sure why I labeled it negative lol.

I already purchased this cable, and plan on installing today

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K9NNR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1.jpg