• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What kind of speakers should i buy to replace facotory 6.5"?

Brandon Williamson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to replace all 4 speakers in my 2009 AR230. My lovely friends blew them out for me last summer. Any suggestions? I have the factory JBL head unit that works with the rear deck controls. I see a lot of 4 speakers sets out there with an AMP. I haven't messed around with speakers and AMP's and head units since I was in HS so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome, @Brandon Williamson !

There are many opinions about this. I agree with @scokill on the Polk db651 as a good starting point. Your OEM speakers were paper-coned garbage made by the ironically-named "Seaworthy." The db651 speakers from Polk are far, far better than those. They do OK with the JBL head unit, certainly better than those Seaworthys, but they really sing with a moderate amplifier powering them.

I started with the 4x Polk db651 cockpit speaker upgrade last year (I had same OEM audio setup as you)... then added an amp to drive those (Clarion XC1410), am in the process of adding a significantly better pair of speakers on my swimdeck (JL Audio MX650), which will need another amp to drive them (coming soon), which I will also use to drive a sub (coming soon), etc. LOL!

Use the search function on the upper right of the screen... there are many threads about audio upgrades. Keyword: "coaxial" is not a bad place to start. Good luck!

Brandon Williamson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd like to spend around $300-$400 bucks. I want some good sound for within/ immediately around the boat but not trying to provide tunes for the whole lake by any means. I saw the factory replacements had been discontinued. Thanks for the info, just joined the group so I'll check out the other threads.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What color is your 230? Mine is blue so chose to go with Infinity Marine Speakers which are also blue.

The 612M has good specs, fits into your price range at $70 per pair

Infinity Reference 612m 6.5-Inch 225-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Marine Loudspeaker (Pair)

I chose to use the 6912M. This is a 6x9 speaker with better specs but required enlargement of the factory holes. I have 6 in my boat now with plans to add two more. I am very happy with the sound quality.

Infinity Reference 6912m 6 x 9-Inch 300-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Marine Loudspeaker (Pair)

Brandon Williamson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are nice. Mine is orange but interior is gray accents so those would work. I had some infinity kappa 3-way 6x9's in my car back in the day, they have really nice sound. Do you run an amp to the 6.5's or just the head unit power?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I upgraded to a Fusion Marine IP600G head unit. Which appears to have been recently discontinued. The Fusion head units have more powerful internal amplifiers that are rated for 2 ohm loads. I am using the four channels in the head unit to drive 6 speakers and will continue to use it to drive 8. I wanted and continue to want to avoid the battery drain of an amplifier. I save my battery power for the fridge.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have experience with the Polk Audio db651's and the Infinity Marine Speakers @Bruce mentions. I have the Polk Audio db651's in my Jeep with no amp and they sound very very good. I have the Infinity Marine Speakers in my boat, running with an amp, and they too sound extremely good.

So, basically, I have no problem recommending either one of these.

OhioCop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have experience with the Polk Audio db651's and the Infinity Marine Speakers @Bruce mentions. I have the Polk Audio db651's in my Jeep with no amp and they sound very very good. I have the Infinity Marine Speakers in my boat, running with an amp, and they too sound extremely good.

So, basically, I have no problem recommending either one of these.
What about the POLK mn651um are those good speakers, better then the stock speakers? I have a 2011 242 limited s

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
better then the stock speakers
It would be very difficult to find speakers that are not better than the $20 a pair Seaworthy speakers. When I replaced mine, all four were torn.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What about the POLK mn651um are those good speakers, better then the stock speakers? I have a 2011 242 limited s
There was another thread on here that had a link to a website that rated marine speakers and the Polk mn651's were #1.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm gonna go against the grain. I use the Polk db651's. 6 total in boats. And with a decent amp powering them - they sound amazing. Love them. I do also have a WetSounds sub, which contributes to the amazing sound.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Almost all of my speakers are polk mm series. I have 4 mm651's being powered by an amp and 2 12" mmseries DVC subs being powered by a mono block polk amp. I love their stuff!!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my vote is wet sounds XS-65i's, about $175 a pair.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Brandon Williamson: Welcome. :Welcome:

You might wish to check out this thread ........

"EXCELLENT REVIEW OF THE TOP 10 MARINE SPEAKERS - Good Advice !"

https://jetboaters.net/threads/excellent-review-of-the-top-10-marine-speakers-_-good-advice.4790/

And you might wanna consider seriously the Pioneers they talk about .... About $60 a pair from Amazon.

And WELCOME HERE !!!!!!!!! We are so glad you found us. Good to see you making yourself at home already. :thumbsup:

And oh yeah .... If ya haven't picked up on it, we love photos of your boat ! :winkingthumbsup"

A most Happy Boating year to you ........... and Happy Easter upcoming - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Asking about speakers is like asking about oil. Everyone has their favorite. :p

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For your budget, I vote for the Polk speakers. I have 4 X db651's and 2 X db691's (6x9) speakers with an MBQuart 6 channel marine amp. Bought all on Amazon for $405. For what I spent it sounds really good!!! Are there better sounding setups out there...yes. But, this is a really nice sounding setup for the money. I can be cruising at 40mph and hear everything loud and clear with good bass. If I ever add a sub it will really kick a#%!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
whatever you buy be sure to get a good amp to power them, otherwise you will be disappointed.