• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

what lucky13 cone spacer setting are you running?

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes it's essentially both...but you aren't capable of replacing or fixing the ring itself, yourself...again that's why I mention sending the complete housing to impros, who can do either. mine was beyond saving within my time constraints, plus the cost was close enough due to my wear ring's damage, they just put in a stronger aftermarket one and called it a day.

I almost guarantee it's that...also check your pump housing seal. that you can reseal yourself. should do it anyways...

if you search my posts you can ue my trail as thread HW. I had this same issue and posted and asked in relevant threads.
the cores issue is impeller and wear ring wear I bet.

the labor is easy to do yourself in getting it off the boat, it's cheap to ship, and impros is fast with turn around if you stay on them.
the cone is just added help but will 100% not fix you problem. call them first...they may want the new impeller with so they can check tolerance, if there is adjustment to be made. the do all that there...

JonKTX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anyone verify that the lucky 13 will substantially improve performance while in a sharp turn (ar190)? I am trying to verify it is worth the investment. I have not noticed much cavitation while taking off but tubing is another story. I have sealed the tunnel an installed the cjs vipers which helped some but the bleeding off is still there in the hard corner. I have adjusted towing technique but want an improvement if it exists.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would't say substantial...but I do notice it.

realize too, something few mention when asking this...what's your load like?
these single engine boats are pretty sluggish with 4+ people in it...plus tow. every bit is more n' more noticeable.

JonKTX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point, thanks for the feedback. Only usually 2 adults and 3 kids (5 total including those being towed), all toward the back of the boat.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
being in the back makes it worse for that kinda thing...being in the back is for straight drive, wake improvement.
move people in when buzzing around on a tube and spinning the kids off.

JonKTX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks again, will give it a try next time we hit the water.

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@ScottS That's a great explanation.

Any word on if your repitched impeller worked out? Water tested yet?
I'm hoping to water test it tomorrow (Friday) evening or Saturday morning. Once I am off the water and have my results, I'll make sure to post an update.

If you want the overly wordy version of my trials in dialing in our 2017 AR195 you can see my thread below:

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks for the explanation @ScottS ! I don't think my boat has any issues with it but it seems like something I should be mindful of I think.

I do and always have experienced a fair bit of cavitation on hard acceleration when the boat is loaded heavy or getting someone up on a wakeboard, Im wondering if the Lucky 13 would be of some help?
Short answer: I never tried a wakeboard on our boat prior to the Lucky 13 cone. However, I have almost no issue with cavitation with the Lucky 13 installed with all spacers. *EDIT: ... almost no issue with cavitation while launching a wakeboarder with the Lucky 13...

Longer answer and background: I'm boating at about 6000' ASL and was already dealing with not reaching peak RPM as temperatures warmed up. Early in the season when water temps were in the 50's and low 60's and air temps peaking in the 70's I was seeing about 7200 RPM and power transfer felt pretty good. As I am the only Slalom Skier on the boat, I don't have the first-hand experience at the helm when the boat is struggling the hardest - pulling me up on my slalom ski. When I put the Lucky 13 on it coincided with the water and air temps really starting to rise quickly. We are now boating in roughly 75-degree water in up to high 90's air temps. I think this reduced our peak RPMs. However, the weather really jumped to new highs on us at the same time that I put the Lucky 13 cone on. Now my RPMs are peaking around 6000 and the boat is really struggling. Therefore, leading to my reasoning in this previous post:
I am running all three. From the stock cone, it seems more sluggish but maybe more torque in the early cool morning temps? I have other issues I am addressing though. Being in Utah at elevations between 5,000' ASL and 6,400' ASL the stock prop isn't effective and my RPM's have been limited to about 6000 in most applications as the Summer heat has set in. Early season I was getting up around 7200 RPM.

Just switched to a high altitude tuned (5500') Solas impeller from Impros.com last night but have yet to test. If I am unhappy with the performance after testing the new impeller, I may play around with taking out all of the rings to bring it closer to stock and see how I like it.