• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

new 195s owner rookie questions

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
its been a week now that we bought our new 195S. I love the boat BUT there's a few things I wanted to ask on here since I'm not too familiar with jet boats, this being my first.

1. While running at higher/medium speeds the throttle if I'm not holding it forward with my hand it starts to retract on its own, is this normal or a safety feature? I tried setting the throttle in place and then setting the cruise control but once I let go of the throttle the cruise control can't sustain the speed and the boat slows down.
  2. at high/medium speeds if I let go of the steering wheel the boat starts to turn right and I'm constantly holding it with my left hand to not let it steer right? does this jet boat tend to have right turning tendency?
  3. the ski locker which is drainable doesn't fully drain and picks up a bit of water while out running on higher speeds over a longer period of time. Is this a known issue?
  4. The cooler that came with the boat came with two assembly straps to tie it down on the cooler spot behind the driver seat. sorry but how the hell do you get those straps to tie it down??? I've tried multiple ways but there's no way unless they sent me the wrong straps. is there a video that shows on how to tie it down?
  5. Is there a list on all the scheduled Maintenace checks the boat needs? the dealer wasn't too specific with it, just telling me twice a year. I'm looking for more of after how many hours I do what and so on?

the boat is now at the dealer for the first 10 hour Maintenace and I've told them all about these issues so hopefully its solved unless some of these are the way the boat normally operates.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
its been a week now that we bought our new 195S. I love the boat BUT there's a few things I wanted to ask on here since I'm not too familiar with jet boats, this being my first.

1. While running at higher/medium speeds the throttle if I'm not holding it forward with my hand it starts to retract on its own, is this normal or a safety feature? I tried setting the throttle in place and then setting the cruise control but once I let go of the throttle the cruise control can't sustain the speed and the boat slows down.
  2. at high/medium speeds if I let go of the steering wheel the boat starts to turn right and I'm constantly holding it with my left hand to not let it steer right? does this jet boat tend to have right turning tendency?
  3. the ski locker which is drainable doesn't fully drain and picks up a bit of water while out running on higher speeds over a longer period of time. Is this a known issue?
  4. The cooler that came with the boat came with two assembly straps to tie it down on the cooler spot behind the driver seat. sorry but how the hell do you get those straps to tie it down??? I've tried multiple ways but there's no way unless they sent me the wrong straps. is there a video that shows on how to tie it down?
  5. Is there a list on all the scheduled Maintenace checks the boat needs? the dealer wasn't too specific with it, just telling me twice a year. I'm looking for more of after how many hours I do what and so on?

the boat is now at the dealer for the first 10 hour Maintenace and I've told them all about these issues so hopefully its solved unless some of these are the way the boat normally operates.
Hello and welcome!

1. The throttle slipping is a normal thing that some have experienced, tension on the throttle internally controls this. There are a few ways to correct this, you can see if your throttle has a tension screw on the back, but this sometimes only gets you so far, there is a good writeup on how to disassemble and fix here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/throttle-dropping-check-here.299/#post-2412 if the dealer won't fix it. Something to consider in the future would be @Ridesteady for speed control, makes a big difference when driving the boat.
2. The 195S should have the articulating keel keeping it somewhat centered but even with that, depending on the conditions and how the boat is loaded there can be left/right turn tendencies, this can also be partially due to the torque created by the impeller.
3. On my 190, the anchor locker drains into the ski locker so water would always get in from the front like that. The other thing I noticed is the seal on the drain plug it self is not great, I replaced mine and added RTV so water can't get in from the locker drain plug
4. My boat is older without this option so hopefully someone with one of the newer boats can answer.
5. Rule of thumb is about once per season depending on how much you use the boat per year. I service the boat every 50 hours or year (whatever comes first). In the manual, there should be a breakdown with the service intervals and what needs to be done at each one. Nothing wrong with doing more maintenance then less. These boats are very straight forward on maintenance.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I was chasing a leak for a while. the dealer said it was my trim tabs, then I was getting more water in the following season, and they finally found that the valve was leaking and replaced. have not had a chance to run it yet but in the meantime, close the drain on the ski locker. Monitor your bilge pump and see if it will run while you're out. When there is enough water, the bilge pump will run by itself.
1710186355082.png

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was chasing a leak for a while. the dealer said it was my trim tabs, then I was getting more water in the following season, and they finally found that the valve was leaking and replaced. have not had a chance to run it yet but in the meantime, close the drain on the ski locker. Monitor your bilge pump and see if it will run while you're out. When there is enough water, the bilge pump will run by itself.
View attachment 216119
"The valve"?

Is that the Y valve feeding the cooling water to the engine? Did your dealer put that silver T fitting in there, or was that a DIY fix?

There's definitely a different flow between those two types of fittings, and I'd hate to see something happening to your motors from such a change

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
"The valve"?

Is that the Y valve feeding the cooling water to the engine? Did your dealer put that silver T fitting in there, or was that a DIY fix?

There's definitely a different flow between those two types of fittings, and I'd hate to see something happening to your motors from such a change
i think the Y valve is something different... the "T" fitting was a same part replacement.

My motor never over heated, just spewed some water in the hull which the bilge pump took care of

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While running at higher/medium speeds the throttle if I'm not holding it forward with my hand it starts to retract on its own, is this normal or a safety feature? I tried setting the throttle in place and then setting the cruise control but once I let go of the throttle the cruise control can't sustain the speed and the boat slows down.
The binnacle / "throttle lever" slipping down towards idle with the vibration of the boat is also known as "throttle drop," and has been a "feature" of Yamaha boats for a while now. I believe there's a way to take apart the lever and tighten it to reduce this from happening.

Our "Ridesteady for Yamaha" boat cruise control allows you to push the throttle further forward so that it's less likely to bounce back. It also maintains the speed in either MPH (GPS) or RPM. And with our Auto Launch feature, you can put the throttle down full forward from the beginning, letting Ridesteady manage the ramp up in speed: AutoLaunch | HYDROPHASE LLC