• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What negative comments have prop boaters made about your jet boat

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think I've every heard a negative comment about it being a Jet Boat. Like others above, most comments are along the lines of, "nice boat."

When people ask me what type of boat I have, my first response is, "a 24-foot bowrider." Then if they're curious, I fish out my phone and show a couple pictures of it. I don't highlight the difference between propulsion types as for most people it's irrelevant. If someone asks, I go into the details but generally after they've seen that 'it's a real boat.'

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think I've every heard a negative comment about it being a Jet Boat. Like others above, most comments are along the lines of, "nice boat."

When people ask me what type of boat I have, my first response is, "a 24-foot bowrider." Then if they're curious, I fish out my phone and show a couple pictures of it. I don't highlight the difference between propulsion types as for most people it's irrelevant. If someone asks, I go into the details but generally after they've seen that 'it's a real boat.'
I've started doing this as well. Except "19ft Fiberglass Bowrider". That gives them enough information to know what it is.

I don't usually get "negative", but more "inquisitive" remarks.
  • Don't those steer terribly?
  • What happens if you suck something up?
  • I thought those were all 2-strokes, do you premix?
  • Aren't those jets obnoxiously loud?
  • I hear they suck fuel, do you have a 50gal tank on there?
Lots of misconception things like that, but typically it's more an attempt to verify what they think they know rather than a really negative slam or something like that.

I do get quite a few comments in the tie-down area that are somewhat the opposite as well. Things like "I've never seen a jet boat trailer that easily", and "how do you like the jet drive?"....which leads to a "I love it" response, followed by a "I hear that a lot".

We do get LOTS of compliments around the docks though. Wife has it figured out where she can come in and spin the boat on it's axis and back up to the finger of the courtesy dock. I gently step on the rear platform and she pulls away slowly as I take off my shoes and proceed into the cockpit. Can't count the number of "holy crap did you see that" comments from other boaters as they struggle with lines, bouys, and generally arguing with their spouse/co-captain about how to dock whatever vessel they're on. Pretty sure you can't get the stern of many boats within inches of the dock without tearing up an expensive piece of drivetrain. Take a lot of folks off guard for certain. This isn't 100% from the jet drive, a good deal of this is practice as well, but the jet certainly makes it easier.

gthh

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...and the 5th reason not to steer away from a jet boat-"THE STEERING"-Way to Rock a Beard Will!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On a wakesurfing FB group I ended up on a "discussion" with a guy after he made a comment about jetboats needing more fiberglass... like the hull was going to buckle with the first wave it encountered... it was an interesting conversation.

Britboater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good friend of mine is a boat dealer in Englewood Florida, he has a sense of humor and calls my boat a twin vacuum cleaner.
I kinda agree but I do also get plenty of comments on how smart my boat looks.
On another note, my next boat will be an outboard.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's more elitism than negative. When you meet someone who owns a wakeboard boat and you mention Yamaha, you get that Dr. Phil face "How's that working for you?"