• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What negative comments have prop boaters made about your jet boat

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
When people say "jet boat" there is only one thing I think of ....far from a Yamaha lol.......
Any Canadian who grew up in the 70s & 80s thinks of this when they hear "Jetboat." :D
Relic.png

For you non (or younger) Canadians, here you go!

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think I've every heard a negative comment about it being a Jet Boat. Like others above, most comments are along the lines of, "nice boat."

When people ask me what type of boat I have, my first response is, "a 24-foot bowrider." Then if they're curious, I fish out my phone and show a couple pictures of it. I don't highlight the difference between propulsion types as for most people it's irrelevant. If someone asks, I go into the details but generally after they've seen that 'it's a real boat.'

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think I've every heard a negative comment about it being a Jet Boat. Like others above, most comments are along the lines of, "nice boat."

When people ask me what type of boat I have, my first response is, "a 24-foot bowrider." Then if they're curious, I fish out my phone and show a couple pictures of it. I don't highlight the difference between propulsion types as for most people it's irrelevant. If someone asks, I go into the details but generally after they've seen that 'it's a real boat.'
I've started doing this as well. Except "19ft Fiberglass Bowrider". That gives them enough information to know what it is.

I don't usually get "negative", but more "inquisitive" remarks.
  • Don't those steer terribly?
  • What happens if you suck something up?
  • I thought those were all 2-strokes, do you premix?
  • Aren't those jets obnoxiously loud?
  • I hear they suck fuel, do you have a 50gal tank on there?
Lots of misconception things like that, but typically it's more an attempt to verify what they think they know rather than a really negative slam or something like that.

I do get quite a few comments in the tie-down area that are somewhat the opposite as well. Things like "I've never seen a jet boat trailer that easily", and "how do you like the jet drive?"....which leads to a "I love it" response, followed by a "I hear that a lot".

We do get LOTS of compliments around the docks though. Wife has it figured out where she can come in and spin the boat on it's axis and back up to the finger of the courtesy dock. I gently step on the rear platform and she pulls away slowly as I take off my shoes and proceed into the cockpit. Can't count the number of "holy crap did you see that" comments from other boaters as they struggle with lines, bouys, and generally arguing with their spouse/co-captain about how to dock whatever vessel they're on. Pretty sure you can't get the stern of many boats within inches of the dock without tearing up an expensive piece of drivetrain. Take a lot of folks off guard for certain. This isn't 100% from the jet drive, a good deal of this is practice as well, but the jet certainly makes it easier.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...and the 5th reason not to steer away from a jet boat-"THE STEERING"-Way to Rock a Beard Will!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On a wakesurfing FB group I ended up on a "discussion" with a guy after he made a comment about jetboats needing more fiberglass... like the hull was going to buckle with the first wave it encountered... it was an interesting conversation.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good friend of mine is a boat dealer in Englewood Florida, he has a sense of humor and calls my boat a twin vacuum cleaner.
I kinda agree but I do also get plenty of comments on how smart my boat looks.
On another note, my next boat will be an outboard.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's more elitism than negative. When you meet someone who owns a wakeboard boat and you mention Yamaha, you get that Dr. Phil face "How's that working for you?"

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't get any negative comments. Mostly questions about how I like the jet drive, and positive "nice boat" comments. The only time I've heard negative comments like the OP have been at the boat shows from other dealer's salesmen! I find in general that boaters are a great community that are very supportive, no matter what boat you have, it's one of my favorite things about boating.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Someone on FB said my boat was just an oversized jet ski. I invited him to stop by our jet boat gathering so we could discuss. Never showed.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Someone on FB said my boat was just an oversized jet ski. I invited him to stop by our jet boat gathering so we could discuss. Never showed.
This is one that I've heard before and is really just plain dumb. I guess the thought is that since it shares engines with a "jet ski", it's an oversized jet ski. By that logic, most inboard boats on the water today would be floating Chevy pickup trucks.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is one that I've heard before and is really just plain dumb. I guess the thought is that since it shares engines with a "jet ski", it's an oversized jet ski. By that logic, most inboard boats on the water today would be floating Chevy pickup trucks.
Maybe a floating mustang as well?? Saw that Idmar is releasing a 2.3L Turbo inboard.

Here's the link --> The Worlds First EcoBoost Marine Engine - Indmar Products

*edit*....Guess jet boats don't count as having marine engines either. Indmar says about the 2.3L ".....it’s the most powerful inboard marine engine per liter, packing 135 horsepower per liter."......at 250hp in a 1.8L Yamaha has been besting that number (139hp/L) for some time.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been watching this thread for a while... I will join the 'I hear nothing negative' camp. At least not right off the bat.

Interesting thing to me (which probably prompts my reply at this point) is that I usually do say I have a 24' jetboat. And when they say, 'Jetboat?', I usually tell them it is like two jetskis powering a boat... And that usually gets a very positive response (like, wow!).

Maybe I just hang out around great people. I hang here, so that is likely. Alternatively, maybe I just don't remember or pay attention to the negative stuff and write them off as not knowing. Either way, it keeps me happy.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Every propulsion system has its trade offs. Some folks get "religious" about their decisions, I try not to be around them. I was trying to convince my wife we should get an outboad for maintainability etc and she saw the stern seating on the Yamaha and said "I want that". We had a 14" Sea Doo in the 90's which was really a big Sea Doo, so it took some reading up to decide to go with the Yamaha. Yamaha has worked really hard to turn their boats into Open Bows, so if I don't want a long discussion I just tell people I have 19' foot open bow.

It makes laugh at the launches when overly helpful men wave and yell "put up your drive" to my wife as she is trailering the boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just remembered one.....cant believe I didn't write this one down @mwalker4 ramp/wife comment reminded me.

About 6-7 times a year, as we're pulling away from the ramp a very concerned boater will motor over to use and yell "Your bilge is on!".......as if we've forgotten a plug. It's really very nice of them. I used to try and explain that it was the cooling water outlet (nobody ever understood), but now I just say "Thanks, I'll check it out", give the side of the boat a glance to make sure it's not actually the bilge, and wave back and smile.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just remembered one.....cant believe I didn't write this one down @mwalker4 ramp/wife comment reminded me.

About 6-7 times a year, as we're pulling away from the ramp a very concerned boater will motor over to use and yell "Your bilge is on!".......as if we've forgotten a plug. It's really very nice of them. I used to try and explain that it was the cooling water outlet (nobody ever understood), but now I just say "Thanks, I'll check it out", give the side of the boat a glance to make sure it's not actually the bilge, and wave back and smile.
We were motoring along in a no wake zone on a salt creek (tidal creek). A passing boater turned his boat around, and then he pulled up next to us. He wanted to tell us our bilge was pumping a steady stream of water. I explained it was okay - just like a jet ski. We thanked him for his concern.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I keep my boat on a mooring. But there is a narrow little inlet with a very rough boat launch nearby. It’s very protected from waves so a few people have docks for their boats there. Problem is the water is very shallow/muddy.

When I needed to change the starter on my boat I borrowed one of the docks so I could have my truck/tools nearby. The local pontoon crowd was giving me a hard time about having to crawl down into the engine bay to reach...good natured ribbing...don’t have that problem with an outboard you see.

A little later one of the pontoons left. And promptly get his outboard stuck in the mud. Apparently this was fairly common. Plenty of advice was offered from shore. The captain proceed to tell his wife to go to the front of the boat and raised the outboard. After a few moments yelling, revving the engine, churning the water to a muddy brown and relocating “ballast” they were on the way. Ten minutes later they were back with an engine that needed a new impeller.

I couldn’t help but mention you don’t see that with jet boats.

Last edited:

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious why?
My next boat will larger so Yamaha won’t cater for my needs, plus as you spend more I really think you deserve more quality in your choice, something Yamaha fails on imo.
Then there’s the aftermarket Yamaha warranty history, it’s not good. At a certain price point Yamaha hits the mark, which I honestly believe is sub £50k, above that you need security with your purchase.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
*edit*....Guess jet boats don't count as having marine engines either. Indmar says about the 2.3L ".....it’s the most powerful inboard marine engine per liter, packing 135 horsepower per liter."......at 250hp in a 1.8L Yamaha has been besting that number (139hp/L) for some time.
Or either BRP's Rotax 1503 HO ACE or Rotax 1630 ACE engines@ 153 and 188 hp/L respectively.

Maybe they should consider throwing a "jet ski" motor in there and adding a prop! :p