• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What price to offer on this boat?

MrReaux

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to go look at this boat in the next couple of days, but not sure what would be a good price to offer. I understand the condition in person will be subjective, but I believe the listed price is high considering year/model. If everything is in pretty good shape, what price range should I think around?

Btw, this will be my first jet boat to purchase (heck I haven't even ridden in one yet.) ...will be searching the forum for things to look out for :)

Here is link to the listing, http://www.whittleboats.com/Boat-For-Sale/17068/2010-Yamaha-242-Limited-S/

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Average retail is $34000.00. They hold there value really well. I've had 2 Yamaha's.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Those engines look pretty dirty for 89 hours... maybe just the picture though.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Like @Papa said these Yamahas hold their resale VERY well. I sold my 08 with 340ish hours on it for 28,000.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those looking good hold their value very well, but there are some duds out there that are upside down and won't sell for less than they owe, so they sit with what seems like a very high price for a long time. That boat seems overpriced to me. I got a 08 230 for less than half that, last year. The value proposition doesn't hold.

The other issue is timing. Boat season is about to start, so all is priced high right now. Come July or August, those with an overpriced offering will be sweating afraid of another winter with payments/storage they don't want to deal with.

If you like it enough to overpay because you like it and want it now, and can afford it, so be it. It will be enjoyed regardless.

Is it a good deal compared to other recent transactions?.. Probably not.

Best of luck.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like it’s in pretty good shape, but purely stock. I bought my 2011 with a lot of extras for less than that three years ago. My target number would probably be $33-34k max.

Also, with the 2010’s, make sure the oil coolers have been updated. They were known to have issues.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
About $4-$5k too high. I just bought a 2013 242LS 97 hours from a private party for $37,500. Problem is this is a dealer. So you will pay at least $4k too much plus tax.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
But you can get one put on for ~2k
Maybe if you do it yourself, and most people don't want the hassle. They would rather buy it already done.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You are going to get hosed at a dealer for a used boat even worse than you do for a used car. Buy from an individual if you can.

MrReaux

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Some very good points have been brought up so far! :)

I understand it's nearing (or is) boating season, we just keep putting of buying a boat. Main reason for waiting is trying to get the best deal - then "poof! it's gone" cause we waited too long.

We thought this 2010 would be a good starter boat for us to see if we enjoy the boat life. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it and my wife will too, worried about the kids being scared of it or getting bored, or whatever. They are currently 8 yrs and 6 yrs, so I think that is a good age to introduce a boat :)

Will go look at the boat, maybe do a lake test, but if they don't budge on price... we'll just keep looking.

BTW, my initial thought was $34,500 would be somewhat fair. If we like it, I'd start lower than that and come up to that price...

Keep the advice coming, I appreciate all of it!

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
x2...stay away from the dealers. Lots of great boats out there offered by private owners. You may have to travel a bit but it will be more than worth the trip!

MrReaux

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You are going to get hosed at a dealer for a used boat even worse than you do for a used car. Buy from an individual if you can.
Good point, it's just some people want to see the cash in hand to do a lake test. How do others handle this?

Another question regarding this, where other than my bank do people get financing for their boats? My/my wife's banks don't offer good rates for boat loans :(

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I Financed via lightstream . They sent the money to my checking account and did not want to be listed as lienholders.

Best rate I could find at the time.

Oddly anticlimactic and super fast.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have used Lightstream for other things and they are awesome. At the end of the day I ended up new though because of interest rates. Yamaha offers 2.99 for 60 and still under 6 for the rest. Best used I could find was high 7s. At that price you could buy a New SX210

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
34K would be the number I would shoot for and settle at 35,500.00 but still that's a little over price.
I looked on boat trader in your area and there are only 2 boats under 40k available
Most likely the dealer is not going budge that much on price because of local inventory.
Best time to buy is in the fall or winter

Try looking other areas and just drive it home. might save 5K