• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What price to offer on this boat?

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I Financed via lightstream . They sent the money to my checking account and did not want to be listed as lienholders.

Best rate I could find at the time.

Oddly anticlimactic and super fast.
Used Lightstream.com also. Easy and fast. EFT payments. Need a great credit score.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
x2...stay away from the dealers. Lots of great boats out there offered by private owners. You may have to travel a bit but it will be more than worth the trip!
"If you know what you're looking for." As a first time boat buyer, the right dealer would provide some peace of mind and someone you can go to with questions. After a year with the boat and a year on this forum you can become an educated buyer and go shopping in the private market. I also might suggest a 19 to 21 foot boat if this is your first. The 24 foot is great, but the smaller boats have the same engines, are lighter and easier to handle and less money. I'm not saying you can't learn to handle a bigger boat, but it is a bigger boat. Get the first year under your belt and go bigger if you want to. Maybe you want to start with a single engine 192. There are a lot of happy 192 and 210 boaters on this forum.

I'd even tell a dealer my plan. I want to buy a starter boat for the right price that I won't take a big hit on, and I'll be back next year to trade up when I'm ready to take off the training wheels. There must be a lot of good boat dealers in Texas.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrReaux I live in Frisco and will be glad to show you my boat which is the same as the one you are looking without the bells and whistles. You can also get yourself familiar with with if you think that will help with your research.
I can probably go wget th you this weekend if you like.

Most importantly I would say let’s go at the lake and spend some time in the water. That way you are more aware of what type of boat you are buying. Some people hate jetboats and Yamaha ( @ClemsonTiger ) and some fall in love with them. Maybe you like so much and get a newer one Or better yet wait until one of the members puts his for sale

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Betik I think you speak out of place unless you are capable of reading minds

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik I think you speak out of place unless you are capable of reading minds
You are right that I do that quite often, but in this case it was in the humourous spirit of you suggesting he ought to offer $5k to $8k .
If you were being serious then I apologize as i might have not realized the seriousness of your situation. But if you just joking around; I would like a pass

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You are right that I do that quite often, but in this case it was in the humourous spirit of you suggesting he ought to offer $5k to $8k .
If you were being serious then I apologize as i might have not realized the seriousness of your situation. But if you just joking around; I would like a pass
Assumptions are the mother of all F* ups. Was I suggesting he offer $5-$8K or was I agreeing with the board that the boat was overpriced $5-8K???

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Assumptions are the mother of all F* ups. Was I suggesting he offer $5-$8K or was I agreeing with the board that the boat was overpriced $5-8K???
Without any context it appears that you were suggesting that $5-$8k is your answer to the original question of what to offer. If that was not your intent you may want to edit your post.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Agree to disagree @Bruce . People read, interpret and receive what they choose to.

Best of luck.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I read that as an honest interpretation. Seems he apologized. Ready to accept the apology and move on to the topic at hand? Since you did not specifically state, what's your real thought? $5k-$8k overvalued? or offer $8K tops? My first boat was $9,500 and I was concerned it was too much money...in 2003.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I read that as an honest interpretation. Seems he apologized. Ready to accept the apology and move on to the topic at hand? Since you did not specifically state, what's your real thought? $5k-$8k overvalued? or offer $8K tops? My first boat was $9,500 and I was concerned it was too much money...in 2003.
No apology was necessary so it was not addressed...and the inference you make that I was unwilling to accept it while also not moving on, is incorrect and your assumption owned by you alone.

Since the thread was opened with the intent of asking for opinions...that is what I offered while also not denigrating or judging anyone else’s opinion.

However, it is clear that I was not afforded the same courtesy...

What my intent with my post was...is for you and whomever to interpret...it’s clearly been shown that each individuals interpritation then becomes “fact”...so please, tell me what your “fact” is.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When dealing with a dealer. Always deal with "out the door price" that way you avoid surprises at closing the deal. Also if you need a cover or any accessories use them as leverage toward the end of the deal, just prior to final agreement. Also if dealer is near you may be able to negotiate a dealer sponsored warranty for 30-90 days. Jus ideas, depends on the salesman you get and dealer policy.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
okay so now I have to explain .......

I am sitting outside my daughter piano class and naturally I am reading the forum. As I am scrolling down the 5 to 8 pops up & I though WTF?
Then I see it was @ClemsonTiger and then I immediately recall the discussions about jetboats sucking in salt water, Yahama is not what used to be etc. So I figure he is pulling the new guys leg; hence, I fell obligated to pull his leg in return.

I agree to get back in the topic at hand and if tiger likes we can take this outside ( like in PM)

No way I am picking up a fight with the guy who stands at the beach while a hurricane is at sight.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
okay so now I have to explain .......

I am sitting outside my daughter piano class and naturally I am reading the forum. As I am scrolling down the 5 to 8 pops up & I though WTF?
Then I see it was @ClemsonTiger and then I immediately recall the discussions about jetboats sucking in salt water, Yahama is not what used to be etc. So I figure he is pulling the new guys leg; hence, I fell obligated to pull his leg in return.

I agree to get back in the topic at hand and if tiger likes we can take this outside ( like in PM)

No way I am picking up a fight with the guy who stands at the beach while a hurricane is at sight.
When in doubt and loseing, personally attack...

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No apology was necessary so it was not addressed...and the inference you make that I was unwilling to accept it while also not moving on, is incorrect and your assumption owned by you alone.

Since the thread was opened with the intent of asking for opinions...that is what I offered while also not denigrating or judging anyone else’s opinion.

However, it is clear that I was not afforded the same courtesy...

What my intent with my post was...is for you and whomever to interpret...it’s clearly been shown that each individuals interpritation then becomes “fact”...so please, tell me what your “fact” is.
It seems you and I operate on different expectations in written communication. It seems to me we cannot effectively communicate across what we mean, as I did not understand 2 out of 2 messages. ditto for you, as I did not read what you claim to have stated later. I will note this and take it into account going forward. Thanks for clarifying and adding your thoughts. You have still not clearly stated what you meant with the $5K-$8K, you only expressed that someone made an assumption, but never cleared it up. I'm going to stop asking now because it is clear to me I cannot make my questions clear enough to be understood. I will stop trying.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When in doubt and loseing, personally attack...
No personal attack whatsoever. Just following Bayes Theorem* where prior behavior is used to predict current uncertainty.

How about, if I stop by Jupiter on my way to Bimini for a beer ? We keep bumping the post, but I think we are scaring the guy who actually can use some help from the forum.

*Bayes Theorem*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes'_theorem

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t think the boat on eBay is a fair comparison because there are still three days left to bid, chances are it will be bid up in the last few hours and there is also a possibility that the seller set a reserve price close to his buy it now price of $46k.

Nada has always provided me with good baseline pricing but comps on Craigslist better reflect the true market values.

As for how to handle taking or conducting a sea trial, when buying a used boat I demand a sea trial but am always prepared to make the same offer to the seller as I do to possible buyers. That is, I offer to pay for the gas, launch fees and a $50 to $100 non refundable deposit that counts toward the sale price. This way as a buyer sellers know that I’m serious and not just out to scam them, for a boat ride or to practice my negotiating skills. There are a lot of Craigslist fakers out there unfortunately. As a seller if a buyer accepts my terms I usually don’t make him or her comply with any of them, but don’t tell them until we meet at the ramp, so the demand just acts as a good weeding out tool.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry, I meant the eBay price as reference to the buy now price. And that for 9k more you could but a much, much newer boat, therefore the older boat was overpriced. Old Boat+ 8k= 2016 boat.... Really? So in theory you buy the 2016 boat, sell it in 6 years and will only be 8k down? (All else being equal?) It's a stretch, but I use this strategy to compare prices vs years to pick the better deal for me.

Last edited:

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in the same boat "pun intended" and I currently own one, am in the middle of selling AND searching for next. If you want a 21' we can negotiate :) Boat's will come and go and the longer you wait the more will come available as boating season comes in full swing. Yes you could probably save maybe 3-5k if you avoided a dealer and waited and took the risk. Only you'll be able to decide if "what could have been" will prevent you from coming here the day after purchase and opening up your wallet on a sea deck, sound upgrade and every single toy upgrade imaginable. I'd be willing to bet you a case of beer you'll love your new boat and much like driving a jeep you'll be part of the Yamaha club. It's a good deal (not great) for what you are getting. The price is on the high side so offer 33k to move quickly and see where it goes. If it were me, I'd use searchtempests and find the same boat for sale within a 250 mile range. Compare costs and then go to the dealer and tell him look... i can go get this boat 4k cheaper. Listen to his redirect about the risk of a private sale and then tell him you're willing to pay 1 or 2k to avoid that risk. Then take her home, sit in the driveway (in the boat) pop open a cold beer and send us all a pic. Cheers!