• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What speed do you go in "slow" zones?

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Not sure if it's the same everywhere but in Florida we have No Wake Zones and Slow Zones (Minimum Wake).

Using no wake mode gets me around 5mph, and still puts off more wake then prop boats doing comparable speeds.

I was in the intracoastal recently and crawling along at that 5mph in a "slow" zone and people were passing me, so I throttled up a bit to around 7-8mph to keep pace, although at that point my wake is considerable with a big wave trailing. On the way out I seemed to blend in and nobody seemed to care. I did the same thing heading home and several people were waving their arms at me to slow down like I am some kind of maniac.

The slow zones drive me nuts and I think they are overkill, but the bigger problem is the vagueness of what constitutes as "slow", there seems to be no consistency, and we seem to get penalized for driving a jet boat because it puts off bigger wake at comparable speeds.

Slow and steady wins the race. Either zone I am using No Wake Mode. People pass me all the time. Never feel bad/guilty about going too slow. You have the right of way and it their responsibility to overtake you, you do not need to adjust course. The boat can rip a pretty nice wake at 8mph. Be courteous to other property and keep it as smooth as possible.

These zones are to protect other boats/docks/sea-walls/marine life, and yourself. I don’t always know why it’s a slow zone but it’s there for a reason and should be respected.

Here are the definitions. I think you're on the right track with your thinking but just to be sure:

1617193691820.png

Here are the definitions. I think you're on the right track with your thinking but just to be sure:

View attachment 145661
Yea I have seen the definitions but I believe they are vague and open to interpretation. I wish there were firm speed limits to clear up ambiguity. I bet if we used a level, even with the first click in no wake mode the bow is "even slightly elevated."

Yea I have seen the definitions but I believe they are vague and open to interpretation. I wish there were firm speed limits to clear up ambiguity. I bet if we used a level, even with the first click in no wake mode the bow is "even slightly elevated."

Speed limits don't work at all. 7-9mph is no problem for some boats and they create zero wake, where we create some at 4mph. In a lot of instances it is not about speed.

The no-wake setting on my 07 is even slower at 3-4 mph. At that speed there is no wake. I am glad that our no-wake zones are short and far between on the Lake.

Last edited:
Biggest thing to remember...No Wake is not only a courtesy, you are responsible for any damage/issues caused by your wake. NO WAKE...NO PROBLEMS ?

I go with, no wake means don't let my boat put out a wake; Whatever speed that is. ;)

In no wake I go as slow/fast as I can to not create a wake, BUT if the winds, large chop or current is pushing me around bad, or if there is a reason to circumvent an issue/danger, I will go with the slowest speed that keeps me in control of my watercraft.

The definition of no wake by the USCG is as slow as possible and still have control of your vessel.

I regularly spend time in minimum wake zone canals on the Intracoastal. Even at max no wake speed - 5 mph or so and 2,400 RPM, 80+% of other boats are making more wake than I am. Some of the yachts with displacement hulls make easily 1+ ft. wakes and sometimes more as they seem to cruise through at 8-9 mph with apparent impunity. (In a hurry?) I usually run at max no wake or one click down, in part to maintain steerage in the face of that, even with fins/fangs. I once followed a FSH190 who I guess didn't have them, as every time another boat passed he weaved all over the place.

Another story: in my previous 16 ft. Sportster, my wife and went through the lock to Port Canaveral for a little exploring. The whole area is minimum wake. It wasn't a particularly windy day, but once through we found so much boat traffic - often kicking up 1-2 ft. waves, that as a learned survival tactic I was modulating the throttle to quickly pop up the bow enough to keep us from getting swamped. Then a county sheriff's boat I believe saw me do one of those blips of the throttle, pulled up and ordered me to slow down. Not much I could say to them (and not get in trouble). :mad: I was already one, going no faster on average than the other, larger boats, two, kicking up a very small wake in my jet dinghy, and most importantly, *doing what I had to, to remain safe.* We continued slow for a bit, duly started to take water over the bow, waited until they were gone, then I resumed doing what I had to, soon turning around and leaving anyway. Chalk that one up to "boating while looking a little too much like a jet ski?"

This is a loaded topic. Each vessel has a different no wake speed. In Destin harbor I get passes by pontoons but get the “slow down” from the law when I’m in no wake mode. I dropped one engine down to idle & N and cruised that way with no issues. The excursion boats seem to get away with throwing more wake than pleasure boats & skis. My advise is to go with what your comfortable with and if a LEO tells you to slow down, then make it happen because there is no “set speed” for no wake.

I've found with mine that No Wake Mode up to +2 is fine and doesn't produce any real wake waves, just turbulence. +3 produces a bit and I only use it while docking or in open areas where it's not an issue. I find +2 gets me about 6mph and fast enough. Never had an issue but the police get the last say if I'm going too fast for them.

This is an interesting question… I really appreciate the no wake mode for navigating all of the zones. A lot of it depends on how much traffic and how much room there is in the channel. Sometimes I’m going through narrow passages with lots of other boats who are cruising along with wake behind them at seven or 8 miles an hour and it just feels a little bit dangerous to go much slower. Given my own devices I keep it at about two clicks into the no wake zone or 5 miles an hour which throws off a very minimal wake.

My rule of thumb.. watch other local boaters wakes and speeds.

I've had to go little over no wake mode to not get ran down in some cuts/canals.

If I am keeping others safe and my crew safe I consider it a win.

I had a larger vessel try and pass me at the ramp canal exit at Maximo Park. I moved over and expressed to them how uncool it was that they were producing a big wake. Some boats just don't understand. I do 4-6 in no-wake.

I had a larger vessel try and pass me at the ramp canal exit at Maximo Park. I moved over and expressed to them how uncool it was that they were producing a big wake. Some boats just don't understand. I do 4-6 in no-wake.

Not a lot of people care in our area. I am glad the waters are heavily patrolled. Come out to John's Pass on a Saturday and watch 20 people get ticketed.

My friendly lake patrol on my lake in Oklahoma informed me that they consider making a wake when there are white caps on the tops of the waves the boat is making, no matter how tall the waves are. On my Yamaha SX195, I can use No Wake modes 1 and 2 without white caps, but not mode 3. That's around 5 mph. But my Regal 4460 can easily run 7 mph without white caps on my wake, so it isn't speed dependent.

5 mph for me. That's as slow as she'll go...

Back