• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What speed do you go in "slow" zones?

Luckily we don't have too many no wake zones, but they're usually marked with speed limits in knots. One marina is 3 knots inside the break-walls, the Trent-Severn and Murray Canal is 10 knots, St. Lawrence is mostly open except for marinas. We typically do 4-5mph at No Wake Mode 1 or 2. Mode 3 gets a little rougher looking for us too with all the jet-wake so we don't use it much. Sailboats typically can move along around 10 knots without creating too much wake. If we tried 10 knots (11.5 mph) in those areas, I'm sure we'd get a few dirty looks or hear some yelling.
:D

Fun topic - my measure - is the wave behind the boat 6” or less that’s no wake. Usually 2 on the nonwake control. 3-4mph. My best wakesurf speed is 9-10mph. When at 5-8 it’s purring off a pretty good wave. So totally avoid that. Some jet skis put off too much wake at 4-5 mph - I am that ass that will yell out “no wake zone dumbass!” I hate seeing people try to trailer their boat with big waves coming in. Just be courteous folks.

Great topic as it can be frustrating for jetboats. I have been stopped by law enforcement while traveling down the intercostal with boats in front of me and behind me and we are all going the same speed (5mph) and yet I have dock hands from a passing restaurant yelling at me to slow down and of course I get stopped. The first thing the cop said was “I saw them yelling at you, but I know, I know, you’re in a JetBoat” and let me on my way without boarding. Keep in mind our boats produce more whitewash, but that does not always translate to excessive wake from the hull. We are also less likely to damage manatees and other sea life without propellers (no wake also protects certain docks, sea walls, bridges, etc). So now, I politely explain that it’s a jet boat which produces more white wash than a propeller, but that I am traveling just fast enough to maintain a heading. Ironically this is also a challenge for JetBoats because we need a bit more thrust to maintain a heading, but usually I have found that is 5MPH. Not a good idea to judge by RPM, I can do this at 1800 but sometimes it takes 2800 if I am against a strong current, near an inlet - so instead I watch the speed.

It seems that any boat slow but not on plane would put out more wake then on plane.

It seems that any boat slow but not on plane would put out more wake then on plane.
Ya it seems that way, but actually the opposite is true. You’re right a slower boat will sit lower and appear like it would displace more water, but it does so with less energy. An easy way to think of it as a bowling ball. If you put a bowling ball just above water and let it sink it will barely splash or make a wake. Drop that same bowling ball off a bridge and now it creates a huge splash and wake. It’s all about the speed in which it hits the water and the energy transferred ends up displacing more water.

But it’s all relative too, a JetSki going at 5 mph does not have an affect, a barge going 5 miles an hour you can surf on the wake, lol.

Last edited:
I use my Drive system a lot in coves / no wake. I like to stand up while driving in coves so I can see swimmers and flotsam so the paddles serve me well. Usually hit 5mph max with instant access to reverse if needed.

Back