• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2024 AR190 top speed/mods

190 are notoriously underpowered, It seems everyone with more then a 2 people in the boat starts complaining about speed or accelaration at some point.

190 are notoriously underpowered, It seems everyone with more then a 2 people in the boat starts complaining about speed or acceleration at some point.
I disagree. I think the expectations are set inappropriately. It's not underpowered, it's a quite competent boat that has adequate power for what it is. If the expectation is that you can load it to the brim and it perform exactly the same as empty, then the expectations aren't quite right. Same reason so many people thing jet boats "handle terrible", or that you need a fullsize pickup to tow anything larger than a kayak.

It's a single 4cyl naturally aspirated boat. My '09 Rinker 182 with teh 3.0L 4cyl had very similar planing and top speed performance as my AR190. I've had 8 adults and 2 coolers and still pulled someone up on a slalom ski. There's enough power there, but it's not overpowered by any stretch. It is however more sensitive to being in proper running operation as there is less headroom available.

Hey @2kwik4u just wanted to update this thread. Took it out this weekend and got the boat to 7-8hours. WOT did not move a millimeter past 7k RPM. Still not sure if it’s a generic 10 hour ish break in phase but it seems a bit slow to plane. I had 4 adults this weekend and WOT is 30mph. I’m fine with the speed but it wasn’t fast to get on plane in my opinion.
Sounds close, but something still isn't quite right. You should be closer to 7,500rpm not just 7,000. I'm betting it's the elevation that's killing those final revs you need/want.

When you say slow to plane, are you talking about 10-15second or 2-3minutes?

I would reach out to Impros and see what they say about it. It's likely a revised pitch impeller could get you a better holeshot, as well as a few more mph on the top end. I wouldn't expect miracles, but it will help.

I disagree. I think the expectations are set inappropriately. It's not underpowered, it's a quite competent boat that has adequate power for what it is. If the expectation is that you can load it to the brim and it perform exactly the same as empty, then the expectations aren't quite right. Same reason so many people thing jet boats "handle terrible", or that you need a fullsize pickup to tow anything larger than a kayak.

It's a single 4cyl naturally aspirated boat. My '09 Rinker 182 with teh 3.0L 4cyl had very similar planing and top speed performance as my AR190. I've had 8 adults and 2 coolers and still pulled someone up on a slalom ski. There's enough power there, but it's not overpowered by any stretch. It is however more sensitive to being in proper running operation as there is less headroom available.
I dont disagree but people need to manage there expitations when they purchase a 190, There is a reason they are Yamaha's cheapest model but everone seems to expect 50+ MPH from them fuly loaded with people and gear. If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone post about there 190 being "slow" my bank account would be much happier.

I dont disagree but people need to manage there expitations when they purchase a 190, There is a reason they are Yamaha's cheapest model but everone seems to expect 50+ MPH from them fuly loaded with people and gear. If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone post about there 190 being "slow" my bank account would be much happier.
I don’t expect 50mph and I have done quite a bit of research on the 190. I understand it’s not a 50mph boat or a boat that can haul 10 people around and go fast. When I’m comparing to similar years and posts on this forum my boat seems to be underperforming. I’m coming to this forum for help and knowledge

Sounds close, but something still isn't quite right. You should be closer to 7,500rpm not just 7,000. I'm betting it's the elevation that's killing those final revs you need/want.

When you say slow to plane, are you talking about 10-15second or 2-3minutes?

I would reach out to Impros and see what they say about it. It's likely a revised pitch impeller could get you a better holeshot, as well as a few more mph on the top end. I wouldn't expect miracles, but it will help.
Yeah the RPM not going past 7k was not what I was expecting because everyone else says theirs are closer to 7500. I would say with 4 adults and a full cooler it probably took 15+seconds to plane. Not horrible but I thought jet boats were fast to plane compared to other boats lol

For comparison sake, with a full tank of gas and 2 people on semi-rough water our 195S will run 45mph. If I put up the Bimini it drops to 42mph, and if I add 2 people to the back it tops out at 40mph. Now if I put them in the front it that drops it to 38mph.

I did run it once shortly after break-in on a calm day with full tank I was able to hit 48mph.

So the supercharger on the 195S helps but its still not a 50mph boat, but we rarely try to go fast as we are either putting around looking at houses or pulling toys...the boat does an excellent job of getting me up on the wakeboard.

Yeah the RPM not going past 7k was not what I was expecting because everyone else says theirs are closer to 7500. I would say with 4 adults and a full cooler it probably took 15+seconds to plane. Not horrible but I thought jet boats were fast to plane compared to other boats lol
My 190 is faster to plane than my Rinker was, but moreso because of a lack of bowrise than because of power difference. Still not a rocketship though.

15-20sec is still pretty slow. Boatest claims a 3.3sec time to plane, but that's with almost no load. I would wager mine planes in 7-10sec with the wife, myself, 2 boys and the dog. I think this is another symptom of altitude. I'm boating around 550ft or so.

https://boattest.com/boats/yamaha/ar190-2019 <--check the video starting around 2:45 or so.

For comparison sake, with a full tank of gas and 2 people on semi-rough water our 195S will run 45mph. If I put up the Bimini it drops to 42mph, and if I add 2 people to the back it tops out at 40mph. Now if I put them in the front it that drops it to 38mph.

I did run it once shortly after break-in on a calm day with full tank I was able to hit 48mph.

So the supercharger on the 195S helps but its still not a 50mph boat, but we rarely try to go fast as we are either putting around looking at houses or pulling toys...the boat does an excellent job of getting me up on the wakeboard.
That is my main focus. A cruiser and something that can tow a tube or wakeboard. I tried to do a couple turns and just lost all my speed. Enough for slack to form in the line and the tube

My 190 is faster to plane than my Rinker was, but moreso because of a lack of bowrise than because of power difference. Still not a rocketship though.

15-20sec is still pretty slow. Boatest claims a 3.3sec time to plane, but that's with almost no load. I would wager mine planes in 7-10sec with the wife, myself, 2 boys and the dog. I think this is another symptom of altitude. I'm boating around 550ft or so.

https://boattest.com/boats/yamaha/ar190-2019 <--check the video starting around 2:45 or so.
Yeah I will do a better job to see how quickly I get on plane next time. Going to try to take it to a lower altitude lake and see if there’s a difference. The normal spot I go to is Parker AZ which is a much lower elevation.

That is my main focus. A cruiser and something that can tow a tube or wakeboard. I tried to do a couple turns and just lost all my speed. Enough for slack to form in the line and the tube
You have to drive these different with a tube. I'll dig up my post about that when I get back to a PC. Much different than how I drove my I/O while tubing.

@Bleed45

Had ours out on Alleghany Reservoir yesterday. I snapped a couple pictures for reference. Also, i was VERY mistaken on engine hours on ours. I only have ~255hrs after this weekend. Not anywhere near the 400hrs I thought I had. With that said, I honestly don't think engine hours matters here. This boat has run like this since new.

Air temp was ~78-80deg. Water temp was in the low 70's. Reservoir was at 1,319 ft asl yesterday. These were taken with bimini stowed, 2 boys (~150lb between them) in the bow. Wife and I (About 320lbs between us) a 65lb dog, full fuel, and a couple coolers.

Got 30mph at ~7k rpm. Boat cruises comfortably here all day. We'll sometimes drop to 27-28mph if there is a heavy head wind, but in general that 30mph number is our target for "get down the lake" cruising.
1727097439828.png

Top speed, WOT with a slight head wind was 36.2mph @ ~7.5k rpm. Looks like I could probably tune a couple hundred more RPM in to it (by adjusting the L13 cone spacers) now that I'm at elevation, but likely isn't' worth the effort for another mph or two.
1727097490339.png

I've seen as high as 42mph from this boat, but that was EXCEPTIONALLY lightly loaded on a VERY cool and calm day on the Ohio River. Interestingly enough it was going upstream on the river as well, so I had a surface speed closer to 47-48mph with the 5-6mph current in the area. I've only seen that speed once, and have rarely seen 40mph since. I think we keep adding crap to the boat weighing down each year. Just keeps getting heavier and heavier.

@Bleed45

Had ours out on Alleghany Reservoir yesterday. I snapped a couple pictures for reference. Also, i was VERY mistaken on engine hours on ours. I only have ~255hrs after this weekend. Not anywhere near the 400hrs I thought I had. With that said, I honestly don't think engine hours matters here. This boat has run like this since new.

Air temp was ~78-80deg. Water temp was in the low 70's. Reservoir was at 1,319 ft asl yesterday. These were taken with bimini stowed, 2 boys (~150lb between them) in the bow. Wife and I (About 320lbs between us) a 65lb dog, full fuel, and a couple coolers.

Got 30mph at ~7k rpm. Boat cruises comfortably here all day. We'll sometimes drop to 27-28mph if there is a heavy head wind, but in general that 30mph number is our target for "get down the lake" cruising.
View attachment 226809

Top speed, WOT with a slight head wind was 36.2mph @ ~7.5k rpm. Looks like I could probably tune a couple hundred more RPM in to it (by adjusting the L13 cone spacers) now that I'm at elevation, but likely isn't' worth the effort for another mph or two.
View attachment 226810

I've seen as high as 42mph from this boat, but that was EXCEPTIONALLY lightly loaded on a VERY cool and calm day on the Ohio River. Interestingly enough it was going upstream on the river as well, so I had a surface speed closer to 47-48mph with the 5-6mph current in the area. I've only seen that speed once, and have rarely seen 40mph since. I think we keep adding crap to the boat weighing down each year. Just keeps getting heavier and heavier.
I took it out this week same spot. Was much more responsive. 4 adults 33mph top speed which is fine with me. plane at WOT was about 10 seconds. But still when WOT it caps out at 7k RPM. Still haven’t broken that 10 hour barrier yet

Back