• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you do if you came across a PWC a drift?

What would you do with drifting PWC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good additional info on your particular situation(s) @Ronnie . I'll say that since other parties came at approximately the same time and made a decision to take action you shouldn't feel or be accountable for the outcome. You have to take care entering into such a dynamic situation. What if they were thieves and pulled a weapon if you chose to stop them or make it clear you were calling law enforcement? We should do "what's right", but take care to not endanger ourselves.

I scanned the area for a rider/owner when I came across the ski. As I did another boater pulled up, got on the ski and took off toward the guest dock with his boat following behind. When we got to the Docki asked why his ski was floating in the middle of the river riderless. That’s when he told me the ski wasn’t his. He just took it to the guest dock and was going to report it to someone there or at the marina across the river/slough we were in (less than 100 yards away). I assumed it was all good and had lunch with my people. In retro-spect I should have done more, at least call it in anyway. I’m not sure if the lanyard was in safety switch, in the glove box or with the ski at all. It may have been the boater’s lanyard but his boat didn’t look like it required one, if it did he must of had a spare since his wife/girl friend drove the boat to the guest dock. I’ve searched on line and there have been no reported drownings or missing persons in that area since last weekend. Still it’s been bothering me so I started this thread to help me better react the next time around while also hoping there is no next time around.

The first and time this happened to me was at a small reservoir about 10 years ago. As I scanned the area and prepared to tow the ski to shore, next to sheriffs boat another ski pulled up, tied up and took the ski away. When questioned the guy told me it was his and his guest rider was a newbie having a hard time so he took her To shore on the back of his ski and was just recovering the ski she was on.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good additional info on your particular situation(s) @Ronnie . I'll say that since other parties came at approximately the same time and made a decision to take action you shouldn't feel or be accountable for the outcome. You have to take care entering into such a dynamic situation. What if they were thieves and pulled a weapon if you chose to stop them or make it clear you were calling law enforcement? We should do "what's right", but take care to not endanger ourselves.
Now this Blackbird stuff never crossed my mind.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
http://instagr.am/p/CRC4Tu2B9mr/
Interesting enough the qualified captain posted a similar story. Boat captain fell overboard and another boat found it. They posted how they responded and the way they did most likely saved the captains life.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jlcj7 , now I really feel like shit over how I reacted / failed to react.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thank you for posting this thread/poll Ronnie. It taught me a bit and gave me some valuable information I hope I never need.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jlcj7 , now I really feel like shit over how I reacted / failed to react.
I would have reacted by taking the ski back to the dock (especially if it was in line of site) but after this would handle it differently.