• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

When negotiating with the dealer what would you have done different?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So hind sight is always 20/20 but just curious when you negotiated with the dealer buying your new boat what would you have done differently or asked for extra that you didn't?

Didn't ask if it was a California boat. I got screwed on that. Love the boat but the HP is less than a non California boat. Good experience overall with the dealer in MN, but I should have been told about the boat. The dealer was really good about applying for the loan and getting the Yamaha 2.99% on the loan. I did everything over the phone. I bought 2 Yamaha snowmobiles a year later from a local dealer and he wouldn't do any of the financing over the phone.

I got the keelguard and Minkota dual bank charger installed by the dealer. Probably paid too much but it was worth my money and their time to have it done. Those two mods are worth it.

I had the thrust vectors added too. And the boat still hauls butt even with the California engines. I love the boat.

Last edited:
I would definitely compare dealers even if it means dealing with out of state suppliers. I have a decent local dealer, but they don't negotiate on the price. They simply know that they will sell their supply for MSRP and have no incentive to budge and I don't blame them. Hopefully they don't blame me for buying my boat in MN and having it shipped to NY.

Galvanized trailer if you ever plan salt water use.

I would definitely compare dealers even if it means dealing with out of state suppliers. I have a decent local dealer, but they don't negotiate on the price. They simply know that they will sell their supply for MSRP and have no incentive to budge and I don't blame them. Hopefully they don't blame me for buying my boat in MN and having it shipped to NY.

Have been shopping around all over so got that covered the deal I'm working on now out the door including everything is over 4k under MSRP including taxes and all. The most surprising offer came today though I had a dealer offer me a 2016 SX240 for 3k under MSRP out the door that was the first time anyone offered me a discount on a 2016 as they did not have any 2015's in stock. That's been my biggest battle so far we were looking for a 2015 SX240 and having a tough time even finding them.

I maybe would have called and done a deal over the phone or fax and then just pick it up and sign papers in the same day instead of going there to check out the boat, buying it, and having to come back the next day to get it. 2.5 extra hours of driving my gas guzzler. Though, my wife had to check out the boat first so I didn't really have an option. Pics and videos weren't good enough.

Didn't ask if it was a California boat. I got screwed on that. Love the boat but the HP is less than a non California boat. Good experience overall with the dealer in MN, but I should have been told about the boat. The dealer was really good about applying for the loan and getting the Yamaha 2.99% on the loan. I did everything over the phone. I bought 2 Yamaha snowmobiles a year later from a local dealer and he wouldn't do any of the financing over the phone.

I got the keelguard and Minkota dual bank charger installed by the dealer. Probably paid too much but it was worth my money and their time to have it done. Those two mods are worth it.

I had the thrust vectors added too. And the boat still hauls butt even with the California engines. I love the boat.

How do you know if you have a California model? Did you buy from River Valley Power Sports?

@d_coyne1984 i think the identifier is the emissions sticker 3 stars is normal and 4 stars is California. I could be wrong though someone else may chime in.

There's a white sticker on the port side of the engine compartment with the engine specs.

IMG_1528.JPG IMG_3828.JPG
How do you know if you have a California model? Did you buy from River Valley Power Sports?
I bought from River Valley in Rochester MN. Nice guys overall but I knew nothing about a California boat being slightly less HP than a non Cal boat. I believe my boat on the left of the boat on the outside, near the front passengers seat, had a sticker with four stars on it. Inside the engine compartment, on the exhaust of both motors were two black stickers with the outline of California, and 4 stars. The sticker also said, "super ultra low emissions" or something to that affect. Inside the engine compartment is a white specifications plate, I think mine was on the right sided looking at the stern. It shows power output of 122KWdisplacement. That the lower horsepower rating. Here's a link to the same discussion here. Here's two pics. The left one shows 122kw displacement. If you look at the right pic in the middle. There's a white on black sticker with 4 white stars on the left motor.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/california-boat.2913/#post-46721

Last edited:
Back