• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where could one get rebuilt Yamaha OEM rebuilt engines?

David Pierce

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2006 Yamaha SX230 HO. I wanted to trade it in on a new 2022. The dealer checked it and said one cylinder had low compression and it was likely the entire engine would fail. They said my real option was a new OWM engine. They also said that SBT engines were not good and would no even put one in. Two Questions. Q1: Why does the entire engine fail because of low compression? Q2: Is there anyplace that sells rebuilt OEM engines? Otherwise the boat is in great shape. I just can’t imagine my only options are spend $10k or scrap the boat. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Selling it here, may be a better option.

If you didn't know you had low compression...do you really?

Verify that by yourself first, before taking their word for it.

Also, Low compression could be caused by a valve issue and you might just need a valve job that could be handled locally by a machine shop.

More diagnostic needed.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I thought it would not be as bad as they say.

If you didn't know you had low compression...do you really?

Verify that by yourself first, before taking their word for it.

Also, Low compression could be caused by a valve issue and you might just need a valve job that could be handled locally by a machine shop.

More diagnostic needed.

that sounds more logical. Thanks!!

I had the same boat, if both engines spin up to 10,200 rpm you don’t have low compression. I think Your dealer is bullshitting you into trading it in on the cheap.
Yes, both engines run great and can go up to 10000 rpm.

Yes, both engines run great and can go up to 10000 rpm.
Sounds like your engines are running fine. What does the boat top out at? Should be 50 mph +|- 2 mph, at or around sea level, 1/2 loaded (people/fuel/gear).

Selling it here, may be a better option.
If you go this route or sell it elsewhere online, I suggest you conduct a compression test and post the results. The more information you provide the better/fewer questions you will have to field.

Sounds like your engines are running fine. What does the boat top out at? Should be 50 mph +|- 2 mph, at or around sea level, 1/2 loaded (people/fuel/gear).
It can do about that. Also, how do you know Just come out like oh fault your faultJust come out like oh ceasing your fault when I posted a thing on jet boat… No no noI hardly ever run it at full throttle so I never stress the engines. Thanks for the input.

I would do a leak down test and see if I can hear where the compression is leaking MY guess would be a bad head gasket near the exhaust side or a slightly bent valve, , when people rev their engines out of the water all it takes is one valve to hang and it can get bent also I would look at the actual compression level is it bad or just a slight difference. the m r 1 engines are usually pretty strong although the number 2 plug likes to break off when being changed and if that is the cylinder perhaps someone had that happen and some debris got stuck in the rings I have seen head gaskets go bad and water jackets corrode and leak at the exhaust manifold so I would have it checked by someone who has no dog in the hunt.

It can do about that.

Also, how do you know Just come out like oh fault your faultJust come out like oh ceasing your fault when I posted a thing on jet boat… No no noI hardly ever run it at full throttle so I never stress the engines.

Thanks for the input.
Again sounds like your engines are running fine.

I do not understand the rest of your response above so I am not responding to it.

Again sounds like your engines are running fine.

I do not understand the rest of your response above so I am not responding to it.
Oh sorry! I don’t know what that is . Lol very strange??

I would do a leak down test and see if I can hear where the compression is leaking MY guess would be a bad head gasket near the exhaust side or a slightly bent valve, , when people rev their engines out of the water all it takes is one valve to hang and it can get bent also I would look at the actual compression level is it bad or just a slight difference. the m r 1 engines are usually pretty strong although the number 2 plug likes to break off when being changed and if that is the cylinder perhaps someone had that happen and some debris got stuck in the rings I have seen head gaskets go bad and water jackets corrode and leak at the exhaust manifold so I would have it checked by someone who has no dog in the hunt.
Great info! Thanks so much.

Back