• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where is the jack and wrench for the boat trailer

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nitrile gloves? That's rich people stuff these days. Probably better to get some leather ones.

Good thread though. Part of me is thinking about getting one of those medium sized Plano boxes and mounting it to the trailer for straps, lug wrench, Jacks, etc.
I bought one of these this weekend. In an attempt to not "overthink it" I'm gonna throw the bottle jack, some hand tools, and collapsible 4-way wrench in there. Just enough supplies to address the trailer. Maybe a few wire conenctors, strippers, and some black tape for the lights as well. It should tuck in really well in the far rear port storage behind the battery. Just gonna "set it and forget it", and assume the extra 30lbs I've added will make no difference.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I watched a video once where this guy said NEVER to jack the trailer up while on the side of the road, for safety reasons. He said to carry a couple of 2x6 blocks and roll the good tire up on them, therefore raising the bad tire, if you have dual axles of course.
Did he say why? On my longest road trip, we had a flat, and with twin axles I was able to get to a gas station parking lot. If anything, to just get to level ground and out of traffic.

The bottle jack that came with my sierra worked just fine to jack up that axle and get the wheel off. Since this was a long trip (1700 miles one way) I had packed a small impact socket set, Impact wrench and breaker bar. But honestly, it would have been easy to unhook the trailer, and run to walmart for a cheap socket if I had not packed the one I needed.

Keep in mind of where you are trailering, when making your prepper packs. There's plenty of other things to carry. As proper maintenance can counter a lot of common trailer issues.

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@galonuscct Did you guys get the boat/trailer off the road? Everything OK?
Happy to report a mechanic and his son stopped to help my bro get rolling. The spare was aired up and put on by the kind gentleman. My bro's tire iron fit the lugs holding the spare tire on the trailer, but not the lugs on the axle. It makes no sense why they are different sizes. Either way, I will be more prepared when trailing the boat.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Do newer Yamahas come with toolkits? My SX230 has a bag of tools that may have something big enough for the lugs.

I carry a toolkit with decent tools in the boat.
The only thing my boat came with was some fiberglass shavings and some extra screws...

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I carry a1/2” drive milwaukee impact wrench, lug nut sockets, milwaukee air compressor, tire plugs, extra tie downs, extra hitch pin and locks, and a pretty hefty tool bag, DVOM, and stuff for wiring repairs.I’m a mechanic so I’m prepared. But you will always be missing something, trust me. @HangOutdoors and plenty of zip ties. 🤪

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did he say why? On my longest road trip, we had a flat, and with twin axles I was able to get to a gas station parking lot. If anything, to just get to level ground and out of traffic.

The bottle jack that came with my sierra worked just fine to jack up that axle and get the wheel off. Since this was a long trip (1700 miles one way) I had packed a small impact socket set, Impact wrench and breaker bar. But honestly, it would have been easy to unhook the trailer, and run to walmart for a cheap socket if I had not packed the one I needed.

Keep in mind of where you are trailering, when making your prepper packs. There's plenty of other things to carry. As proper maintenance can counter a lot of common trailer issues.
I think he said it just for safety reasons. He mentioned traffic and the trailer falling off the jack on unlevel roadsides, etc..

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The only thing my boat came with was some fiberglass shavings and some extra screws...
Those are extra... They're the bonus screws they forgot to put in.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I carry a1/2” drive milwaukee impact wrench, lug nut sockets, milwaukee air compressor, tire plugs, extra tie downs, extra hitch pin and locks, and a pretty hefty tool bag, DVOM, and stuff for wiring repairs.I’m a mechanic so I’m prepared. But you will always be missing something, trust me. @HangOutdoors and plenty of zip ties. 🤪
Which wrench? I may do that.

Dfred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpgSecond the vote for the scrap 2x6” x 12” - we got a nice gift from the previous owner and legit good advice also for a ton real world uses - from roll-on jacks to wheel chocks (and throw out a chock on tow vehicle so you don’t end up on YouTube Boat Ramp Fails), trailer leveling/jacking higher, etc. easy to stow and bring in the kit.
Hope your adventure ends well .... best to you!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great thread! I’ll be trailering to Florida and back this summer and have started thinking about all this kind of stuff. I have tools I keep in the boat so I’m covered there. Have some wood and I assume the jack for my SUV would work (have to check though).

I’m more concerned about having a spare hub and bearings. A couple questions...

1. Do some of you carry spares?
2 What is the bare minimum of parts you travel with?
3. How do you figure out what hub or bearings to buy for your trailer?
4. any grease recommendations or is anything “waterproof” OK?
5. How do you know when the bearings are shot? Do you see smoke or do you feel the trailer pulling because a wheel is locked up?

Thanks!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Whenever you stop on your trips, walk around a grab your hubs and make sure they all feel the same heat wise. You could also check with an infrared thermometer.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Great thread! I’ll be trailering to Florida and back this summer and have started thinking about all this kind of stuff. I have tools I keep in the boat so I’m covered there. Have some wood and I assume the jack for my SUV would work (have to check though).

I’m more concerned about having a spare hub and bearings. A couple questions...

1. Do some of you carry spares?
2 What is the bare minimum of parts you travel with?
3. How do you figure out what hub or bearings to buy for your trailer?
4. any grease recommendations or is anything “waterproof” OK?
5. How do you know when the bearings are shot? Do you see smoke or do you feel the trailer pulling because a wheel is locked up?

Thanks!
My motto is, carry the tools needed for a blow out on the trailer or truck. Carry a grease gun just because you can. Other than stop worrying so much and drive on....lol

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finally got around to buying a universal lug wrench to put in my truck. I was looking for something compact but every hinged design I saw looked like it had numerous weak spots.

This one is pricey at $55 for two pieces of steel but I think the design is about perfect. It has many included sizes plus a 1/2” adapter, it has multiple handle connection points so you can get a ton of leverage or fit in tighter spots, it packs up very small, and there isn’t anything on here that should break.

I’ve fought to get lug nuts off my truck before at home due to some overzealous impact gun work by the tire shop and I’d trust this thing with whatever you might have to throw at it to get something loose.

GTE TOOLS - LugStrong 26" Universal Compact Lug Wrench Set, Super-Strong Tire Iron & Lug Nut Remover - 2x more torque! Never Get Stuck on the road again! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DJ8A40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0BC0C7GXTKJYST020Q56?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just added this to my Amazon shopping cart. I’ve had plenty of trailer tire problems, so know how valuable it is to have the tools you need when you need them. now Im just wondering if I should buy two, one for each tow vehicle.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I finally got around to buying a universal lug wrench to put in my truck. I was looking for something compact but every hinged design I saw looked like it had numerous weak spots.

This one is pricey at $55 for two pieces of steel but I think the design is about perfect. It has many included sizes plus a 1/2” adapter, it has multiple handle connection points so you can get a ton of leverage or fit in tighter spots, it packs up very small, and there isn’t anything on here that should break.

I’ve fought to get lug nuts off my truck before at home due to some overzealous impact gun work by the tire shop and I’d trust this thing with whatever you might have to throw at it to get something loose.

GTE TOOLS - LugStrong 26" Universal Compact Lug Wrench Set, Super-Strong Tire Iron & Lug Nut Remover - 2x more torque! Never Get Stuck on the road again! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DJ8A40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0BC0C7GXTKJYST020Q56?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 169046View attachment 169047View attachment 169053
I have a Milwaukee 1/2” impact and a set of impact sockets. All my wheels are alloy so I don’t expect an issue. But I might add this anyway, just in case. Thanks for sharing.

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Anyone else carry a torque wrench in their kit as well?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length