• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which hitch!!?

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m getting dangerously close to purchasing our first boat (AR240). Says the dry weight with trailer is a touch over 5,000 lbs. I’ll be pulling with my Ram and I was thinking a standard 2 inch drop hitch with ball, however, most all of them are rated at 5,000 lbs. I was hoping to not have to spend an exorbitant amount of money just for the hitch. What does everyone recommend to pull the boat with?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Most Reese 2" are rated for 6000 lbs. At least 2 of the 3 that I ran across at Lowe's.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m getting dangerously close to purchasing our first boat (AR240). Says the dry weight with trailer is a touch over 5,000 lbs. I’ll be pulling with my Ram and I was thinking a standard 2 inch drop hitch with ball, however, most all of them are rated at 5,000 lbs. I was hoping to not have to spend an exorbitant amount of money just for the hitch. What does everyone recommend to pull the boat with?
Dozens of options to choose from. Search Amazon These Curt forged ones come in many drops...

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all!

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow w a Ram 1500 Rebel and use a 2in Reese w a 3in drop to account for the lift. Works great.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have a 2016 Ram 1500 and tow a 24.0' FT Yamaha. My local Home Depot carries a 7500 lbs rated 2.0" ball, which I what I use. Overkill, but a little added safety factor.

You may want to check out Timbergrove Enterprises, they make a bolt on air bag kit for the Ram. The tongue weight of the 24 ft boats really pull the rear of the truck down with the coils springs. I installed one, and love it, although it does make the ride a little stiffer when not pulling. I run 5.0 lbs empty and 25-27 lbs when pulling. I pull my boat all over the place, 3000-4000 miles a year, so it makes a difference with that much towing.

People also like a load leveling hitch, which is probably a little better, but to me cumbersome and harder to setup and adjust in my opinion. Just things to consider.

scottrus71

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On Amazon, this Curt 2 inch hitch is rated 7500 lbs. It’s a 2” ball, 2” drop, and 2” receiver. It’s what I plan to use.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
2019 Ram Limited with air suspension pulling a '20 212S here: I went with a solid aluminum hitch with a 2" drop and stainless steel ball (to keep it looking nice) from etrailer for about $120. Aluminum hitch was rated for more weight than a Reese - although Reese is fine too. I just hate how ugly they look after a couple of years.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2019 Ram Limited with air suspension pulling a '20 212S here: I went with a solid aluminum hitch with a 2" drop and stainless steel ball (to keep it looking nice) from etrailer for about $120. Aluminum hitch was rated for more weight than a Reese - although Reese is fine too. I just hate how ugly they look after a couple of years.
I got one of these given to me with the purchase of a snowmobile trailer. I would have never justified the additional cost if it had not been free.

That being said, not having to deal with a rusty steel tongue, has been amazing. It's totally worth if if just for that reason! But if you are within the rating, you will be fine. Most of these will be more than adequate.

Captain D

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you buy a drop- hitch you may have problems backing up slight inclines I do with my AR240

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you buy a drop- hitch you may have problems backing up slight inclines I do with my AR240
Why? if it drags, you have too much drop for the trailer to be level. If it the trailer is level, that hitch will be no where near the ground. What are we missing?

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I purchased a Reese hitch with 2" ball from AutoZone for $27. Pulling 242 LSE with a Tahoe.