• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

White Grease

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found a small amount of white grease in a nice little pile under my port intermediate bearing and a little on the face of the bearing near the bottom. It looks like and feels like assembly grease, I thought maybe marine grease mixed with water but I do not think so, looks old. I was asking for assistance in this thread: https://jetboaters.net/threads/intermediate-bearing-greasing.33430/#post-540794. I have never greased this housing during the 6 years I owned the boat, nor has anyone else. I never would have seen this grease if I was not in the process of greasing the housing. I used the recommended amount per the manual for a 100 hour, nothing came out either housing and went in no issue, I ran the motors and nothing, just not on the water yet. So, 1 - Have others found this white grease, common? 2 - Does it indicate I have a bad seal? 3 - If it is an indication of a bad seal, what should I look for once it is on the water?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would clean the area up and keep an eye on it to see if it continues to drip grease and go from there.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would clean the area up and keep an eye on it to see if it continues to drip grease and go from there.
That is the plan, not much I can really do but that, was hoping to hear good news like, ah thats common, you know stuff like that :)

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah, that's common. Yer good to go, just check it occasionally. 🤪 Better????🤣

Seriously though, sometimes you just have to wait until something blatantly shows itself or totally goes out/breaks before it can be diagnosed properly & repaired. Just check it at every outing.:thumbsup:

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah, that's common. Yer good to go, just check it occasionally. 🤪 Better????🤣

Seriously though, sometimes you just have to wait until something blatantly shows itself or totally goes out/breaks before it can be diagnosed properly & repaired. Just check it at every outing.:thumbsup:
Plan to take it out Sunday. If nothing leaks out then I will keep an eye on it. If only grease, will keep a closer eye. Any water and that will kill the summer.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well nothing. Cleaned the area, ran the boat all day and no water or grease so it must have been there from day one. I will keep an eye on it but it appears to be a non-issue. Thanks for all the help.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Beside the fact that adding gear lube to the intermediate bearing makes it last a lot longer and does not separate the rubber from the housing I also like how it will show you any leak in your rubber seal unlike grease alone so if you add some gear lube to it and you don't see it leaking you are fine you can expect 650+ hours of run time with the intermediate bearing housings having some gear lube added to them. And over 850 hours for your pump again if you add gear lube to it.