• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why did you get a VRX over a Yamaha, what sealed the deal?

JoshCanSwim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at the VRX 2430 (or any) against the Yamaha 242, what made you decide to go with a Vortex over a Yamaha?

If you could do it all over again, would you make the same choice?

Franced123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@ joshcanswim Great question and it's the same thing I contemplated. I had a AR 240 in the past. No complaints with it but now when I looked to get another boat I was debating between fsh210 center console and a scarab 255open I'd. Then I stopped in a chaparral dealer to peak at various models and thought the looks of the vrx were awesome. The rear seats and swim platform were a great improvement aesthetically and functionally over my Yamaha. I bought the 2019 223 vrx it seems as large or larger then my ar240 from the past do to seat layout and the passenger front seat folds completely flat of lays back for spotters during water sports. The boat planes in seconds and turns on a dime. After I got used to it I can menuveur much better round the docks because of the rear buckets rather then having to by additional vectors again like I had to on my old Yamaha. Interesting thing also is that although there are no clean outs on the vrx's nothing seems to ever get sucked into the gates. I use dock mode around the docks and launching and have been fine. Now 35hrs later I still have never sucked sucked anything in that I had to pull the boat out of water to clear. The engineers said the haul design and gates push most debris out of the way because most debris floats at the top, if it sinks it usually sinks to the bottom. I could see in shallow water without dock mode on the ability to suck debris in at low speeds because the debris wont get pushed as far away at super slow speeds. With that said I dont think you will go wrong with either one but I feel after having boat the chaparral is more of a high quality material construction, the haul is one piece, the warranty on engines and boat goes out to 5yrs as well. I have the engines that do not have catalytic converters so i have not had any issues, I heard in heavy salt water usethe 02 sensors get finicky and will need changed but not major project. I also have the standard gauge cluster that includes the amazing ski mode, eco mode, and dock mode. The skski mode will keep steady spread when wake boarding or skiing. I had to add a version of "ski mode" to my yamaha. I hope this helps happy boating.

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Even though I haven’t actually picked my boat up yet I did put a deposit down on a 223 yesterday. I feel like the biggest selling point was the different engine sizes but of all my research, the one thing I noticed is several Yamaha owners are unloading their boat right now. I know that boat sales are crazy right now and I’m sure the majority of them are trying to take advantage of making some money but I don’t see very many used vortex boats out there. The other thing is I really didn’t want to go much bigger than a 24 foot boat and all of the rumors I’m hearing or that Yamaha will no longer make a 24 foot boat and starting in 2021 it will become a 25 footer. Not sure what engine they’re putting in it and some other uncertainties made me shy away. The other thing I hear over and over is quality. Looking at a Vortx it just looks better. Without even touching it it looks like there’s more thought put into it. I know that seems weird but for me looking at a Yamaha it just looks like they do the bare minimum‘s. I truly feel like they are both reliable but Give me those twin 300s LOL

Techbiker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Same here, I was dead set on a Yamaha, but I happen to see a Vortex in the lake and the look was stunning, I could not get any 243 soon but the local dealer got a 243 2017 trade-in with only 20hs and 50 hours service already done, tested both in the water, and speed Vortex won, turning vortex won and has so many more options that are not even available in the Yamaha, please do not get me wrong, the Yamaha is a solid boat, but still a Motor Company making Boats, while Vortex is made by Chaparral and who made boats and went with the Rotax brand that is been around for a long time and very specialized on Jet Engines.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Keep in mind, Chaparral did a complete and unique hull designed specifically for the BRP Vortex Jet platform from day one. I'll refrain from my opinions on the mainstream competition, and or competitors, but to think I started looking at Tahoe boats then to all Jet platforms, but ended up with my first boat purchase being the Vortex should speak for it's self.

"And I yield back"........ :winkingthumbsup"