• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will gas prices effect your summer boating/trip plans?

Do you think you will need to modify trip plans to stay within budget?

• Total voters

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty much the same as others here. It will be a lot of cove and sand bar time. Which is pretty much how we have always boated (we joke that we might as well buy a pontoon). We had already decided that with gas prices and the addition of the new boat we weren’t going on any destination type trips this summer anyway.

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Local pump, shut off at $135, they made me start a new transaction with my wife's card to fill the rest of the tank.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Local pump, shut off at $135, they made me start a new transaction with my wife's card to fill the rest of the tank.
Sam's shuts me off at $125. I press the lever in to trick the machine and then scan my phone again.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
if you’re telling me that $10/gal doesn’t affect your summer trips, you’re either lying or VERY well off. And I hope it’s the later😂
Well, gas here isn't $10 a gallon. It's gone from 2/3.xx to 4.xx here, annoying but not particularly impactful. Yeah, if it went to ten bucks, I'd only be using the motor to get out into the channel and just ride the current back and forth, lol.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Gas on the lake was $5.05 in April. We are creatures of habit. Typically, we go about 4 miles from slip, drop anchor for the afternoon then head back. In addition, We may dock at restaurants from time to time. Last season filled boat (30 gal) 3x including end of season winterization prep. The msd indicates about 500 gallons of gas has been used since the boat was new in 2016. That’s an average of 3 fill ups per year. Not sure what my gas inflation tolerance would be. I assume gas will rise beyond $6.00 still won’t affect my boating.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since the other gas thread has turned into a political $#it$how, I figured I would post this here.

Ronnie, I feel for you living in California. I just did a 10 day road trip from Central MN to Lake Tahoe and back with my folks. (they don't care to fly)

We left MN when gas was just popping over $4/gallon. And it rose about $.10/gallon per fill the whole way out. South Lake Tahoe was in the $5.50-$5.85 range. But Yosemite region took the win at $6.59/gallon near the park! Glad we filled in the foothills on our way in.

What we found was that the stations were speculating as well. Since fuel could vary almost $1/gallon from one side of town to the other while out there. Many were obviously not pricing based on cost, but demand.

We used GasBuddy the entire way to help save on our 3500 mile round trip. And also found out when using Google Maps in Apple Car play, you can "add a stop" to your route, and pick fuel. It will report gas prices like GasBuddy right on your dash for those that are reporting it! Nice tip.

I would have to say, that getting back to home was very welcoming, as we put on our last tank of fuel at Costco in Fargo at $3.99/gallon. It's good to be home. Kudos to the Costco fuel station in Carson, NV! 10-12 lanes of fuel, 3 cars deep with stoplights showing those in line which pump was open, so that you could drive down the center and grab the open pump. They moved folks through fast!

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kudos to the Costco fuel station in Carson, NV! 10-12 lanes of fuel, 3 cars deep with stoplights showing those in line which pump was open, so that you could drive down the center and grab the open pump. They moved folks through fast!
That's impressive! Any trip to Costco here is a 20-30min minimum mid day.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am dreading this weeks trip to the pump....expecting to see triple digit fuel cost. My girlfriend says I don't buy her anything of value...if I was to box up the gas receipt and put a bow on it would that count?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love how folks refuse to use either side of the pump at costco. They have those super long hoses for a reason. I just filled the truck, and four cans of fuel for engines around the place at $3.95/gallon yesterday at Fleet Farm. But I see prices jumped $.10 this morning. Aren't they supposed to drop around the holiday to attract travelers?

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Won't affect the gas we put in the boat, but we were planning a trip to Flaming Gorge ($3,000 miles) that will be canceled. We live near Houston so the twelve hundred dollars of Diesel and the $500 gas for the boat we would have used on that trip will be used for the seven day Houseboat trip we have planned at Lake Powell. We will just do more boating local.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I love how folks refuse to use either side of the pump at costco. They have those super long hoses for a reason. I just filled the truck, and four cans of fuel for engines around the place at $3.95/gallon yesterday at Fleet Farm. But I see prices jumped $.10 this morning. Aren't they supposed to drop around the holiday to attract travelers?
My experience is that due to increased demand, gas prices typically rise during a holiday, and then drop off when there is less demand.

I have driven trucks/SUVs for the past 30 years so I always fuel on the side where the cap is. Even do this with a rental car - maybe habit, but I also don't like to drag the hose over the truck on the car, hoses are sometimes short.

Jim

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My experience is that due to increased demand, gas prices typically rise during a holiday, and then drop off when there is less demand.

I have driven trucks/SUVs for the past 30 years so I always fuel on the side where the cap is. Even do this with a rental car - maybe habit, but I also don't like to drag the hose over the truck on the car, hoses are sometimes short.

Jim

I get ya, I do the same. But Costco is the best example when lines are 3-4 cars deep and the opposite hose is empty. Our location uses soft hoses with retractable extensions for that reason. There are even signs showing how to properly "cross over" It's actually funny. Since the retractor is so high, I can actually drape the hose over the bed of my truck without touching it. It's pretty cool

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I still sit in line at costco for the correct side. It's so full these days that I don't think it makes a difference. NJ is a full-serve state too, so I can't be sure that the gas attendant isn't going to drag it all over my truck.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was just lamenting this the other day. The local Sams club is a complete shitshow on most days. I've learned that they open the pumps at 7:30am, so I've been swinging by before work once a week and it's SERIOUSLY cut down on my agitation with the event. Made it worth the $0.50/gal cheaper gas too.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Previous fill up was at $5.05 gallon back in early May that was at a different marina on the lake. Today at my home marina $6.30 And I had 1/4 tank before filling tank. Doesn’t seem to discourage anyone as the lake is busier today than compared to recent years especially with the great migration population boom in the atlanta area we are experiencing.

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was just lamenting this the other day. The local Sams club is a complete shitshow on most days. I've learned that they open the pumps at 7:30am, so I've been swinging by before work once a week and it's SERIOUSLY cut down on my agitation with the event. Made it worth the $0.50/gal cheaper gas too.
Amen! I got in there this week around 3:30 and got the eye roll from those behind me, when I drop the tailgate to expose the 4 cans I wanted to fill as well as my truck. HA!

$4.34/gallon and I still maxed the pump at $150. Better than $6/gallon

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last time I filled the truck and the boat I headed over to IA. where it was $4.29 compared to $4.99 in IL. Topped off the truck at $115 and topped off the boat for $112. We haven't changed our habits at all with boating yet and with the prices slowly dropping I doubt we will.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just got back from Lake Gaston and filled up on way in for $175 30 min out then filled it up at the place on the water much more expensive $6 a gallon twice for $250 then when we got back home filled it up at Sam’s for $150. Almost $900 in a week in gas for the trip but was a ton of fun! Gotta pay to play! Gas prices sting but haven’t slowed us down any this summer. But hopefully they fall a little more.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wanted to follow up here. Was prepping the boat last night to go out today and checked the fuel. We're still over 1/2 tank from our July 4th fill-up. Previous fill-up was Memorial Day Weekend. Both were just under $100. We're finding that getting in the water is harder because of personal schedules than it is to afford it. Not 100% certain how many hours we've put on the boat this year, but I'm guessing under 30. We average a shade over 40/yr, and at 2-3gph that somewhat tracks with current usage.

The 190's really are cheap to operate overall, and fuel prices have had ZERO input on our plans.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They did this at ours too. Made a long entry line to try to cut down on people entering the wrong way. Now people sit at the entrance waiting for an open spot vs forming lines at each pump so all the pumps get used. People are insanely stupid and selfish these days.