• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

will yamaha ever bring about a new displacement engine ???

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1.8s are great .. but old now .... boats are getting heavier each year with all added features ect ... we need 2.2 liter motors with larger pumps ...

Go big or go home...drop a couple of V6's and new pumps into the bigger models. Plenty of room.

Go big or go home...drop a couple of V6's and new pumps into the bigger models. Plenty of room.
Yamaha helped develop an amazing V6 back in the '90's. Ended up under the hood of a Ford Taurus of all things.

Lots of revs, lots of airflow, decently flat torque curve. It honestly isn't a longshot to see something like that work out in a jet.

Look at the big jets though (like ferry's and coast guard boats), they're all low rev diesel engines with monster torque numbers. My guess is the pumps on those have significantly more aggressively pitched impellers, and much larger diameter pumps to get the thrust required for such a vessel.

@yam240sx Does have a point. We've so far just been adapting Jet Ski tech to larger boats. A complete rethink of the application might find a different solution. Just look at that wonky outboard by BRP. Whoever did that was told the requirements, and not shown previous results. They found a novel solution to an old problem.

Bigger may add more power but it also adds more weight and decreased fuel efficiency most of the time.

I had a 455 Oldsmobile Berkley Jet about 30 years ago in a Browning tri-hull. It had a 10:1 Compression Ration and required high octane fuel for the RPM's it was turning.

A friend of mine built a 426 Hemi with a blower for his speed boat. He had to mix his own fuel.

They were fast and fun but heavy in the stern and they drank gas like water.

Engines today are much lighter and more efficient but if you start looking at two V6's you're probably going to need a minimum of a 9 to 9 1/2' beam to deal with the extra width and weight.... and then maybe Yamaha starts producing a 30 footer.

A little more bore and / or stroke to push the 1.8L over 2L wouldn't require much, if any, of a hull change.

Bigger may add more power but it also adds more weight and decreased fuel efficiency most of the time.

I had a 455 Oldsmobile Berkley Jet about 30 years ago in a Browning tri-hull. It had a 10:1 Compression Ration and required high octane fuel for the RPM's it was turning.

A friend of mine built a 426 Hemi with a blower for his speed boat. He had to mix his own fuel.

They were fast and fun but heavy in the stern and they drank gas like water.

Engines today are much lighter and more efficient but if you start looking at two V6's you're probably going to need a minimum of a 9 to 9 1/2' beam to deal with the extra width and weight.... unless Yamaha starts producing a 30 footer.

A little more bore and / or stroke to push the 1.8L over 2L wouldn't require much, if any, of a hull change.

Things have changed...The MR-1 HO's in the 230 series boats ran nearly a 12:1 CR and 10,200 rpm's at WOT and ran 87 octane, though I ran ethynol free 89. With all the different size OB motors Yamaha puts out, it should be easy.

Things have changed...The MR-1 HO's in the 230 series boats ran nearly a 12:1 CR and 10,200 rpm's at WOT and ran 87 octane, though I ran ethynol free 89. With all the different size OB motors Yamaha puts out, it should be easy.

For sure..... back in the day we didn't have ECU's and knock sensors to back down the timing when needed.

I burned holes in pistons twice running WOT too long.

My buddy with the blown 426 hemi used to hit the junk yards and buy up every 426 he could find. He ended up with a dozen at one point in his garage. He blew motors more times than I can count. I remember one time when it blew it shot the chrome air filter cover into the air... the damn thing looked like a flying saucer!

THE 1.8S Are time tested for sure .. they are great .. but time to revamp IMO .. they can do it ... yes weight could account for a bigger engines ... but they could swing it ... 2.0s , or 2.2 L n/a larger pumps is all im asking for ...

They will eventually. I wouldn't expect it until material shortages die down. No point in revamping assembly lines if you can't even get product.

Also don't forget the TR-1s are only a few years old.... and really the 1.8s aren't that old. Car engines are relatively the same for 20+ years. The twin SC 1.8s are only two years old. If you want more power right now just buy a 255.

whats to edge me to ever want to upgrade when my 9 yr old boat has the SAME motors !!!

I don't particular see a need to improve the motors. They still run 50ish mph, and not sure about the rest of you, but I spend 99% of my time at no wake speed or cruising at 30. Bigger motors will just burn more fuel in the same size hull. The 27s could maybe stand to have a larger motor, but I haven't heard any performance complaints from the pair of SVHOs.

I'd be far more interested in more efficient motors.

whats to edge me to ever want to upgrade when my 9 yr old boat has the SAME motors !!!

Have you been in a 252? It is lightyears ahead of 2013 240.

1.8s are great .. but old now .... boats are getting heavier each year with all added features ect ... we need 2.2 liter motors with larger pumps ...
You started this same discussion exactly 11 months ago, with almost the same exact title. I think the reasons and discussion are exactly the same. And most of us are more than happy with our performance.

When and if Yamaha does provide a different engine, it will be something that can be used across multiple platforms and not boat specific. So they will announce something that will impact a number of lines when needed. Performance and efficiency across Boats and PWC is excellent right now.

I would have to agree, that the motors are the last thing folks notice (on these boats) if I were upgrading, as having reliable, efficient power is all most ask for. Give me farkles, lots of cool electronics and creature comforts.

Nobody wants to be the tester of new engine tech, when what we have works so well. I doubt anyone would complain too much though, now that gas is falling again. But this would have been the worst model year to announce a new gas guzzler.

@yam240sx Does have a point. We've so far just been adapting Jet Ski tech to larger boats. …
That is it there. (Caution, “internet statistics” ahead.) Of Yamaha engines, 80% go in motorcycles, 19% go in waverunners, and 1% go into boats. Unless that changes, there is never going to be a boat specific engine.

That is it there. (Caution, “internet statistics” ahead.) Of Yamaha engines, 80% go in motorcycles, 19% go in waverunners, and 1% go into boats. Unless that changes, there is never going to be a boat specific engine.

They sell a lot of outboards too. Boat specific.

2010 calling here. What is the boat tech like in future? I imagine they come with really good, flexible audio systems and no one upgrades them anymore. Probably got Navionics built in and you can just update your maps with the click of a button. Are the engines finally quiet?

I just heard Trump say he’s gonna run for President! Does anyone even remember that?
?

Yamaha has a couple nice v8s and v10s they've been involved with that would sound great powering our boats...

Back