• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

will yamaha ever bring about a new displacement engine ???

That is a big miss on my part. I really don’t know what goes in the outboards. I assume no 4bangers.

I'm currently looking at 19'-20' aluminum fishing boats. If one decides to power with a Mercury outboard - the Pro XS 150 is a 3.0L in-line 4, the Pro XS 175 is a 3.4L V-6 and the Pro XS 200 is a 4.6L V-8.

Jim

They could most definitely improve on the 1.8 with vvti on both cams, direct injection etc. No need to go bigger just squeeze more efficiently and power out of a small compact engine. Many engine manufacturers already do this

They could most definitely improve on the 1.8 with vvti on both cams, direct injection etc. No need to go bigger just squeeze more efficiently and power out of a small compact engine. Many engine manufacturers already do this

I'm not in the market for a new boat, but personally, I thinknall of that would be a waste. It'd add cost, and the boats are already too damn expensive. For what would likely add very little efficiency. Heck aren't the MR1s more efficient at cruise anyways?

Heck aren't the MR1s more efficient at cruise anyways?
I was about to say that. Other than the noise(which can be easily resolved by Yamaha) I wish they were still putting the MR1 in the new boats.

The 70mph “gentlemen’s agreement” with the coast guard is fluid. I remember when it was 20moh.

Sea-doo flipped off convention and built the XP that hit 30mph. That became the standard. Within ~5yrs (I think) Yamaha one - upped them and built a boat that hit 40mph.

Kawi flipped everyone off and started pushing 60mph just a couple years later.

Several motors are now capable of exceeding 70mph but limited at that point. LOTS of guys that buy those boats swap the ECU and can surpass 80! Which is nuts but I’m dying to ride one. I don’t see the hp / top end wars stopping in pwc.

That aside, I’m new in my 212xe but have lots of jet ski experience. I’d personally opt for more low end grunt / more torque (better pumps could help) rather than increased top end.

If more torque, better holeshots need bigger motors, bring ‘em on?

QUOTE="1WetBoat, post: 621422, member: 6509"]
Right now Yamaha has the biggest displacement engine in the Wave Runner area. Naturally aspirated, the 1.8 approaches 70mph, supercharged it has to be ECU limited not to go over 70mph. If Yamaha started making bigger motors then the Coast Guard would step in since there is a "Gentleman's Agreement" with all Watercraft manufacturers to keep speeds below 70mph.

Yamaha is at the top right now with their waverunners, for what reason would they come up with a larger engine?
I spend my time cruising at around 30 with occasional sprints to 40. Plenty fast for me on the boat. With our smaller sizes, hitting 70 would be crazy bone jarring experience and probably not much fun unless its perfectly flat.

The Tr-1 was Yamaha's answer to replacing the MR-1, but for competition with the smaller engine in the Sparx from SeaDoo. They couldn't fit the MR1/1.8 in a smaller/nimble waverunner so the TR-1 was born. Spark was in 2014, TR-1 debut in 2016
I can see them maybe improving on the existing platforms to make them more efficient etc. but doubt we will see a larger engine soon.
[/QUOTE]

I would be interested in more efficient engines.

Back