• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

will yamaha ever bring about a new displacement engine ???

2010 calling here. What is the boat tech like in future? I imagine they come with really good, flexible audio systems and no one upgrades them anymore. Probably got Navionics built in and you can just update your maps with the click of a button. Are the engines finally quiet?

I just heard Trump say he’s gonna run for President! Does anyone even remember that?
?

Go drive one and let me know your thoughts. It isn't perfect but it is a great evolution. And yes the factory system on the 252/5 is pretty damn good, and engines are significantly quieted down.

Yamaha has a couple nice v8s and v10s they've been involved with that would sound great powering our boats...
I assume a preference for small dual engines vs single bigger engine hurts those prospects. Wouldn’t it be interesting if the hull were more flexible and you could choose dual 4s or single v8/v10

That is a big miss on my part. I really don’t know what goes in the outboards. I assume no 4bangers.

My 1985 Yamaha 115 2-stroke is a V4. They make them in 4-stroke now, up to 200 hp. The 250’s get a V6.

Last edited:
That is a big miss on my part. I really don’t know what goes in the outboards. I assume no 4bangers.
My 90hp Yamaha was a 4cyl. and I believe that up to 175hp are.

Go drive one and let me know your thoughts. It isn't perfect but it is a great evolution. And yes the factory system on the 252/5 is pretty damn good, and engines are significantly quieted down.
It was just too easy to make fun of Yamaha.

That is it there. (Caution, “internet statistics” ahead.) Of Yamaha engines, 80% go in motorcycles, 19% go in waverunners, and 1% go into boats. Unless that changes, there is never going to be a boat specific engine.
And you hit the nail on the head. whenever a four stroke motor was introduced for these two lines they showed up in both for similar reasons. Great performance/efficiency and low profile and relatively low weight. And the same reason SeaDoo did the same back in the day. How do you think we got these great stern/swimdeck designs that other boat builders cannot replicate with traditional engines or outboards.

Be careful what you wish for, as I know my wife will not give up that swim platform and ease of entry for more power. I'm with her on that.

I assume a preference for small dual engines vs single bigger engine hurts those prospects. Wouldn’t it be interesting if the hull were more flexible and you could choose dual 4s or single v8/v10

Or better yet, dual v8s and v10s!

1.8s are so efficient and reliable BUT yes we're lacking compare to the Seadoo 300hp!!

Have you been in a 252? It is lightyears ahead of 2013 240.

Same motors !!! .. not talking about the tech here and design changes here ! ...same motors !!

Same motors !!! .. not talking about the tech here and design changes here ! ...same motors !!
Exactly, everyone was so jacked about all the cool features, they just took for granted, or assumed a motor company like Yamaha would put the best option for engines in them, and they did. Don't change what works if nobody is complaining, and boats are selling faster than you can produce them.

Who cares? My boat will do almost 50 with a giant sail of a bimini in the gulf of mexico. I am not sure what more you want? They offer 255 models that will push 60mph.

Yeah, but to be blunt - who cares? I need the motor to do few things, namely start every time, get me as fast as I need to go with some room on top for fun once in a while, not burn too much fuel (comparatively), and last as long as I own the boat. If you're a speed demon, this is the wrong boat for you no matter what size motor it gets.

I assume your 2013 motors are still chugging along being as reliable as ever. Is that not the definition of a good motor?

They sell a lot of outboards too. Boat specific.
But that is different division of Yamaha. If we look at development, nothing from the Yamaha Marine division has trickled down to this "Watercraft Division".

But that is different division of Yamaha. If we look at development, nothing from the Yamaha Marine division has trickled down to this "Watercraft Division".

I know. I was just adding in outboards to the statement that 80% of Yamaha motors sold were in motorcycles, 19% in pwc and 1% in boats.

One thing that Yamaha does, as mentioned before, introduce the new engine tech in the WaveRunner area. If its successful there then they shoot it over to the boats. Right now Yamaha has the biggest displacement engine in the Wave Runner area. Naturally aspirated, the 1.8 approaches 70mph, supercharged it has to be ECU limited not to go over 70mph. If Yamaha started making bigger motors then the Coast Guard would step in since there is a "Gentleman's Agreement" with all Watercraft manufacturers to keep speeds below 70mph.

Yamaha is at the top right now with their waverunners, for what reason would they come up with a larger engine?
I spend my time cruising at around 30 with occasional sprints to 40. Plenty fast for me on the boat. With our smaller sizes, hitting 70 would be crazy bone jarring experience and probably not much fun unless its perfectly flat.

The Tr-1 was Yamaha's answer to replacing the MR-1, but for competition with the smaller engine in the Sparx from SeaDoo. They couldn't fit the MR1/1.8 in a smaller/nimble waverunner so the TR-1 was born. Spark was in 2014, TR-1 debut in 2016
I can see them maybe improving on the existing platforms to make them more efficient etc. but doubt we will see a larger engine soon.

Sorry, I’m a passenger in a car going to Florida and can do this all day…
View attachment 185057

Needs more displacement!

All jokes aside, the dual.motors was a big selling feature for us. In theory, if one motor has some sort of a catastrophic issue, the other motor can get you home. Less of a concern in a car, but in a boat, nobody wants to be stuck in the middle of the lake or ocean with no way back to shore.

Back