• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winter Wind

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As you know I’m new to boating and have so much to learn. Would love to hear from you experienced sea dogs. Does the Winter bring in more high winds verses Summer? This will be our 3rd weekend with wind gusts over 25 mph! We went out once and only once when the wind was over 20 miles per hour and it was not very pleasant. We have been really wanting to go out, but we know now the wind makes it a bit more challenging. I’m just wondering if it’s just a strange weather event right now or can I expect the entire Winter to be like this?
Your thoughts...

Damn. 20mph and you went out? I try not to go if 10mph. Careful out there! Specially if new to boating. What body of water are we talking about here?

The wind picks up a great deal during the winter in South Florida, not sure about your area but its likely the same.

Agree with above post....anything above 10mph winds and I stay at the dock. Winds above 10mph generates white cap waves (on my boating lake) that are no fun with my boat and sucks for any type of water sports.

Damn. 20mph and you went out? I try not to go if 10mph. Careful out there! Specially if new to boating. What body of water are we talking about here?
We boat in the ICW. We have found going North is better, but coming back can sometimes be a bit rough. Going South and going down the Cape Fear River between Carolina Beach and Southport is also very rough, but we just go slow and steady. I should have also prefaced it in saying gusts, not sustained. I would avoid anything over 12-15 sustained, but we have had very few days of anything under 10 mph. Maybe in the very early mornings.

20+ mph gusts sounds like a day off the water for me. No way that’s enjoyable even if anchored. Those are the days margaritas and watching sail boats go by are for :D

Last edited:
Sunny, clear skies 80's and 25 mph I'm going but 70's or lower (god forbid!) and 25 mph...staying, unless I'm testing something out.

Just let me say that wind sucks. Period. (breeze does not equal wind! :) )

Aloha and Merry Christmas!

We frequently go out with high winds and white caps. However, we are on a barrier island and can find spots that are calm! Several things that I have learned to do in high winds is to occasionally make a complete circle to get a feel for the waves in all directions, when going with the wind everything is deceptive. When leaving the house, I always try to go into the wind, I want to know how ruff it really is. I also make sure that I have a phone, marine radio, flares, a full tank of gas, warm clothes and a good cigar! Now my bigger problem is getting back on to my lift, getting into a 10’ spot with high winds and the lousy low speed steering of a jet boat is something that takes practice and patience! I do have a couple of flags on the corners of the lift in order to see what the wind is really like exactly where I am going. That’s also when I have to remind myself that our boat is just an expensive toy, not an investment, a little dock/lift rash just comes with the fun….

Everything but the cigar! Yes, I don’t think most people treat the boat like you do, but I think of it as an investment, I mean it cost more than both of our cars! Stay safe out there!

Had Christmas Cabin Fever so I broke my own rule, 25 mph gusts out in the ocean and 78 degrees. I wasn't the only kook though.

vlcsnap-2021-12-27-17h20m16s913 - edit.jpg

You got to do what you got to do! Be who you gotta be! It’s so hard not to go out here as well as we are in the high 70’s, basically 80! We are waiting for winds to be a bit more mild towards the end of the week. Colder weather is coming for us though next week!

Back