• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing?

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't hear anybody pull the batteries out and put them in a cool dry place for the winter. Also since I also have an RV, I use a hose attachment that I can hook up my air compressor to and blow the water out. Any danger doing this with the boat? Seem like if you keep the pressure down to under 50 psi you shouldn't hurt anything and get the water out.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Batteries are a good question, I might get some hate for this, but my dealer actually recommended leaving them in the boat, their logic was that there aren't many places cooler and dryer than a Saskatchewan winter.....

I don't know what i make of it, but that's what I did last year and had no problem in the spring. Plan to do the same this year.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Batteries are a good question, I might get some hate for this, but my dealer actually recommended leaving them in the boat, their logic was that there aren't many places cooler and dryer than a Saskatchewan winter.....

I don't know what i make of it, but that's what I did last year and had no problem in the spring. Plan to do the same this year.
I don't store my boat on my property so the only way to put them on a tender is to pull them and keep them in my basement.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know zero winterization but I better be safe than sorry... Anybody knows of a place near north Brunswick, NJ?
Tom's river marine and power sports shouldn't be too far away from you.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

That dealer will be selling you new batteries when they die unless you keep them on a good charger with float mode. As the voltage drops they become prone to freezing the the cells get deformed , damaged and could even crack the case

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
That dealer will be selling you new batteries when they die unless you keep them on a good charger with float mode. As the voltage drops they become prone to freezing the the cells get deformed , damaged and could even crack the case
I'm agreeing with this. Two things kill batteries.....Cold and Heat...and in all actuality heat is worse. But if you freeze a cell, you'll be looking for a new battery. I always pull batteries and leave them on a float charger after ensuring they're at full charge beforehand. I had a motorcycle battery last me 10 years and still held a decent charge even at the end.

As far as winterizing, I decided to fog engine via crankcase vent tube while running on the hose, run engine for 15 secs while off hose and revving to 3k, then pull plugs and fog cylinders (as I do this to all my lawn and snowblowing equipment as well with no issues). I didn't run RV antifreeze because 1) owner's manual doesn't say so, and 2) I don't like running substances (other than water) that could cause other issues in those cooling pathways. I fill the tank completely and I also run StarTron all season long and increase the "dose" as recommended on the bottle my last outing or two. To reverse the process in Spring, I plan on changing the oil after warming the engine on the hose with the fogged plugs. Then after 1st outing (with new plugs in hand during the outing in case of a foul), change the plugs afterwards. BTW - be sure to look to RockAuto for your plug / oil filter needs (as well as your car needs ;-) ), I bought 4 (non-iridium) for $18 shipped...cheapest I could find them.

PS - Don't leave your shoes on the ground at the back of the boat while running on the hose...ask me how I know, LOL

Oh and another PS - NEVER forget the process for being "on the hose", start engine, turn hose on, turn hose off, stop engine. NEVER run the hose when the engine isn't running.

Last edited:

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the input @Cambo and @thepiratemorgan I appreciate it. Still learning about these wonderful things. Looks like I have a project for tomorrow evening now!

Also, +1 on the shoes....... probably do this absentmindedly 2 out of every 3 flushes