• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wipe down after every use?

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is the best method for keeping a new boat in tip top shape?
We trailer. So pull it out of the water and wipe it down with hot sauce with at the boat launch? Or any other tips?
We get so many water spots that are so hard to remove. Maybe we will polish it this summer and then ceramic coat it to get a fresh start/good base in the spring.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s what I do.

I used rejex last season which helped but you’ve still got to wipe down every time or stuff will build up no matter how great your coating is.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you work for the boat? or does the boat work for you? (most likely somewhere in between)

Something you want to consider and decide early on to make sure your work/reward ratio is optimized. stuff wears out and your play time is very valuable. If my hull is a little duller, but I spent 2 more hours at the lake, that's OK with me.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you work for the boat? or does the boat work for you? (most likely somewhere in between)

Something you want to consider and decide early on to make sure your work/reward ratio is optimized. stuff wears out and your play time is very valuable. If my hull is a little duller, but I spent 2 more hours at the lake, that's OK with me.
HERETIC !!! :devilhorns: Actually, I respect all choices regarding boat finish care; it makes my mirror like boat look all the better. :winkingthumbsup"

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I hit my hull with Hot Sauce and my seats with Vinyl Sauce after every use--takes about 15 minutes. I'm still a new boat owner so we'll see if that lasts forever.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Agree with this to a point. I can do one nice wax/polish a season and then it takes me 5 minutes to wipe the boat down at the end of the day. If I let it get out of control it takes much longer.
Some people spend more time cleaning than boating and some have 4 year old $70k boats that look like crap. Both of those are foolish in my view.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless you're in salt water!!! While this is my first boat in a long time, in my previous life and with my wave runners they get a soapy wash down each time we get back from taking it out. The saltwater evaporates and dries on the way back to the ramp even before I have a chance to wipe it down when taking it out of the water.

I just received by bottle of Rejex and will give that a try on the boat. I have used ONR and Optimum Spray wax which does a heck of a job on my waverunner but saltwater still does its magic at the end of the day. Let's see how Rejex holds up to the salty enviroment.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree with this to a point. I can do one nice wax/polish a season and then it takes me 5 minutes to wipe the boat down at the end of the day. If I let it get out of control it takes much longer.
Some people spend more time cleaning than boating and some have 4 year old $70k boats that look like crap. Both of those are foolish in my view.
I'm not saying my choice is the right one...Just that owners consider what they feel comfortable with and the consequences of that choice (Many hours of cleaning? Premature wear?). I'm sure I'm a slob to many... I'm certainly not worthy of judging what sounds like an awesome routine that works for you.

Anyone driving faster than me is a maniac and anyone driving slower is a slow poke :-D

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Always wipe the boat down with Hot Sauce after an outing. Will wash/wax the boat once mid season and wash/polish/wax in the winter (about to do it this weekend).

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Always wipe the boat down with Hot Sauce after an outing. Will wash/wax the boat once mid season and wash/polish/wax in the winter (about to do it this weekend).
I do the same exact thing. My sons are in there teens and they actually are extremely helpful now, with wiping the boat down. Not so much when they were younger. We can get the boat wiped down and wrapped up in 15min.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Girlfriend usually drunk. My 8 year old helps and does a good job but he’s slow. So it takes me a bit but I enjoy the time usually. My wind down quiet time!

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
What is the best method for keeping a new boat in tip top shape?
We trailer. So pull it out of the water and wipe it down with hot sauce with at the boat launch? Or any other tips?
We get so many water spots that are so hard to remove. Maybe we will polish it this summer and then ceramic coat it to get a fresh start/good base in the spring.
Before I had the garage built, I would wipe the boat down after every trip, once parked in my driveway, then cover with snap cover. Now that the boat goes into the garage after each trip, I still wipe it down after each use, but maybe just the interior, then the hull during the week. I don't seem to experience tough water spots from the Charlotte area lakes. but I do get a sediment film at the transom, and hull sides. My Gel-coat is still very slick from the care I've given the boat since new. I simply use the Eagle One wipe & shine detailer spray on both the hull and cockpit. In the last 5 years I've hand waxed it maybe 3 times, last year I high speed polished it for the first time with a 3" pneumatic high speed polisher. For me the small pistol style polisher allows for better control, and the ability to reach small spots.

Eagle One Wipe & Shine™ Detailer

Last edited:

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lakeboater. I wash and Rejex it at the end of the season. I don't worry about any short term cosmetic issues like water spots. I will wipe it down if I get a scum line. The inside is cleaned as needed. I tend to go out 4 to 5 times a week for 4 to 5 hours so I don't spend a huge amount of time on each outing cleaning the boat.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hot sauce and vinyl sauce after every use.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I only do the daily clean when in salt. Otherwise wash about once a month in season after the spring wash/wax.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm OCD and grew up in salt, so my process is probably overkill for most people. I wash my boat inside and out after every trip, even in fresh water. ONLY exception is when I was at the lake all week last year and boat was on a lift, OR I'm taking it out again the next day. IN which case I'll clean it the following day. Boat gets pressure washed off, foamed, handwashed, blown dry, and then touch up with a microfiber for and drips. I'll flush the motors every couple of trips, unless it's salt in which case as soon as I get home. My new boat hasn't seen salt and my old boat had only been in salt twice.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't wipe down at the ramp because there are bugs and road grime between our ramp and our house. After every outing I hit the vinyl with some 303 cleaner and wipe down the inside.

Outside gets washed and waxed a half dozen times per season. I find that as long as you give it a good wax at the beginning of the season it'll stay clean between washings. When I'm washing the outside with soap, I'll scrub the inside tub and walls too and hose everything out through the scrupper.

Last year I did everything with a hose, bucket, and soap cannon. This year I added an electric power washer to my setup, which will be nice for the hull and rear platform to blast out that dirt.