• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water spots

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there any product, wax, ceramic, etc that actually protects/prevents water spots? Or still use the old school method of wiping the boat down before leaving the launch with water vinager mix?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is there any product, wax, ceramic, etc that actually protects/prevents water spots? Or still use the old school method of wiping the boat down before leaving the launch with water vinager mix?
We have slightly hard water here in the Great Lakes so we use a water/vinegar mix - cheap and simple and works well. I don't know of anything that prevents hard water spots as it's caused by mineral deposits as the water droplets dry. We wax the top and sides to make it easier to clean and protect the gelcoat, but you're always going to have water spots.
🥺

Jane305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Grady White
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You can use Meguiar’s, this stuff is amazing. What a difference this makes on the surface of my boat. After I purchased my boat this year the previous owner did not keep up with the outside surface.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As the others have noted, sealing the surface with wax/paint sealant/ceramic wax/an actual ceramic coating will make it harder for the water spots to chemically bond to and etch the surface. Properly drying the boat is still required to avoid superficial (unsightly) water spots. Many use a detailer (Like Hot Sauce) to wipe down the surface and as a drying agent.

Your only other choice is to displace the hard water residue on your boat before it can dry. You can rinse your boat with deionized water or distilled water. You can buy a hose end attachment with a deionizing filter pack, and then you can just hose off your boat (can get expensive with replacement filter packs). You can also spray your boat down using a battery powered pressure sprayer fed from gallon jugs of distilled water from the grocery (about 90 cents a gallon, and you would need 2-3 gallons per wash).

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you find a way to have no waterspots without wiping down the boats after we pull them out of the water you will be a rich man. There is always going to be labor involved if you want to keep your boat in pristine condition.
We have a wipedown bag in the truck with 2 towels and basically a spray wax that we use every time we pull the boat out of the water. I'll load the boat on the trailer, pull it out to a remote part of the parking lot and the wife & I will wipe it down before we do anything else. With both of us doing it it only takes about 5 minutes.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We have slightly hard water here in the Great Lakes so we use a water/vinegar mix - cheap and simple and works well. I don't know of anything that prevents hard water spots as it's caused by mineral deposits as the water droplets dry. We wax the top and sides to make it easier to clean and protect the gelcoat, but you're always going to have water spots.
🥺

What is the mix ratio of vinegar to water that you use?

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I learned the hard way - simplest thing to do is wipe down with wet towel and Hot Sauce - gets out 99% of water spots. I thought waxing/polishing was better - (still do it) but getting rid of the water spots after a day of fun takes 10 minutes of Hot Sauce and wet towels. (and the water is hard at Lake Mead -and no problems)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I learned the hard way - simplest thing to do is wipe down with wet towel and Hot Sauce - gets out 99% of water spots. I thought waxing/polishing was better - (still do it) but getting rid of the water spots after a day of fun takes 10 minutes of Hot Sauce and wet towels. (and the water is hard at Lake Mead -and no problems)

When I pull my boat out at the end of the day the water spots are already dried on.... I’ll give Hot Sauce a try!

Thank you for the tip!!!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What is the mix ratio of vinegar to water that you use?
For our hard water spots we use a 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water mix that isn't too strong or smelly. It doesn't strip the wax from what I can tell either.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For our hard water spots we use a 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water mix that isn't too strong or smelly. It doesn't strip the wax from what I can tell either.
Thank you ! Sounds simple and easy!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
@Babin Farms Glad you mentioned that your wife helps you with the wipe down, now mine has no choice.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the boat put on a work rack. Engine flush with salt-away, spray down hull with salt-away, wash hull using soft brush with either west marine boat wash or Maguire’s boat wash, rinse, then wipe down with Maguire’s quick wax, wipe down vinyl with a vinyl cleaner/dressing, wash the windows, put some lube on the clean out plug. Then crack open a beer or two with the Admiral sitting in the boat while it’s still on the work rack. It’s a nice finish to a day on the Chesapeake Bay. 125C9DD7-9EA2-4C82-AF86-D06AAF193DD4.jpeg