• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wood for bunks

Mike Carter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone, for those that have done a DIY trailer bunk replacement job, what type of wood did you use ? I want to use good wood / marine grade or pressure treated. Can it be bought local at HomeDepot ? I live in So. Cal and dont want to travel far to get said wood. Thanks in advance.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On my previous 2008 Yama jet boat trailer, I replaced with pressure treated 2x6 from Home Depot and reinstalled my polymer bunk covers over the wood. Worked like a charm, I have encountered no issues whatsoever. That’s my experience.

Last edited:

JDFester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used pressure Treated 2x6 on mine; bought extra brackets and made them up ahead of time, so I could just swap them out at the ramp on an outing. Only took 30 min to swap them both out. I'd recommend an impact driver for the bolts if they have any rust...

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just used normal ole regular wood (not pressure treated or marine wood). That's what was on my trailer and it lasted 10 years. I did use stainless steel lag bolts and stainless steel staples though. I also did all of my carpeting at home, and then took my boat to the ramp. Brought my impact drill with me and it made quick work. I think it maybe took me 20 mins. I laid the old boards on top of the new ones as templates for the drill holes. Then drilled through the board and into the new ones a bit. Moved the old board out the way and continued on with my pilot holes.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used pressure treated pine 2x6's and wrapped them in carpet at home and used stainless staples in my air staple gun to attach the carpet. I bought new stainless hardware and took my drill with me to do the swap at the ramp that wasn't at all busy. A very easy project for just about anyone can do. It helps to have a second set of hands so have your wife with you, like I did, that's willing to help or a kid that's big enough to be useful.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not trying to hijack a thread, but has anyone ever used polywood for bunks? It won't have the linear strength of real wood, but would eliminate any issues with rot, knots, etc...

My gut feeling says its not a good substitute, but I'm hoping to be wrong (for the first time this year, of course...) lol