• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Would you pay 30k for this boat?

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found a 2007 SX230 on Facebook marketplace around 5 hours from my location.

Supposedly the original owner did not winterize one of the motors properly and the head cracked. So one of the motors has 70 hours (Wich was pulled out of 07 FX Jet ski) and the other motor has about 300 hrs on it.

Claims the only thing that is not brand new on the boat is the hull and the motors. But he did pay 2 grand for a gel coat restoration.

Would someone be a fool (me) to pay 30k for this year and model? He will not go below 30k

I was also sent 2 videos of the boat and it looks very clean.

Attachments

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No, I would not pay 30K for this 16 year old Yamaha.

Jim

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Supposedly the original owner did not winterize one of the motors properly and the head cracked.
not possible, there are many reasons an engine might have to be replaced but yamaha's don't have to be winterized and they are self draining so the waterbox or exhaust might hold water but not the head,

Claims the only thing that is not brand new on the boat is the hull and the motors. But he did pay 2 grand for a gel coat restoration.
since he's ignorant or telling you a little porky about the engine replacement I'd be cautious of what the "gel coat restoration" was,

did they just buff it shiny, did somebody hit something and the fixed a hole,
the keel on these is notoriously thin and if you beach the boat alot it can wear through the gel coat and expose the fiberglass,

no way would I pay $30k for this boat, the aluminum trailer, gps and audio are nice upgrades but I wouldn't gamble on it, there will be better boats to come along,

have you looked through our classifieds ?? check who the member is and how long and how many posts they have, while that's not a guarantee I believe it does put the odds in your favor vs. somebody with 1-2 posts or a facebook ad five hours away,

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is the current NADA book value for this boat:
1693247077429.png

Maybe worth a few bucks more for the condition and the upgraded trailer. Pulling a used engine out of a jet ski, however, doesn’t add any value to the boat, at least to me. Wait another month and I bet values drop even more as the season winds down. Original book was $36K, 16 years ago. Covid is over and prices are beginning to normalize.

Do you need a 23’ boat? If not, perhaps you would be better off to consider a smaller, much newer boat.

Jim

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The upholstery is not as nice as factory. Wiring is messy, possibly dangerous. Speaker holes are excessive. The additional table mount on the swim deck reduces usability. One compartment is filled with batteries and oil. Amplifiers are mounted to the floor where they are likely to get wet. Chart plotter is in the way. The dash and throttle inserts may be sun faded.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I found a 2007 SX230 on Facebook marketplace around 5 hours from my location.

Supposedly the original owner did not winterize one of the motors properly and the head cracked. So one of the motors has 70 hours (Wich was pulled out of 07 FX Jet ski) and the other motor has about 300 hrs on it.

Would someone be a fool (me) to pay 30k for this year and model? He will not go below 30k

I was also sent 2 videos of the boat and it looks very clean.
Absolutely NOT...run away!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would be a hard “Nope” from me

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No way it looks like some of the vinyl was replaced with a mismatch in color 300hrs is not great and these models have been having issues with the computers holding fuel injectors open. Spend 10K more and get a newer model. Your resale will suck as well if you buy a 2007 model

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NO F ING WAY! Run!!

Buy the one Scott above linked.

If you are looking for a used Yamaha, you can't go wrong with a 2007-09 230 (AR or SX) IF it was cared for. There is alot to be said for buying a boat off a regularly contributing forum member. Personal experience - I bought my first Yamaha, a 2006 LS 2000 two stroke rocket off a guy on the "old" forum, which pre-dates this forum. That forum still exists but leans more towards older model 2 strokes plus was operated by a dick. Thus, this forum arose. Anyway, I digress. I bought that LS2000 sight unseeen, and shipped it about 400 miles. Never looked back. Then, I sold that one on the same forum, and bought my current 2008 SX230 off the same forum (I think - it may have been this forum). Sight unseen, sold by a regular member, and shipped it the same 400 miles. Both were NC boats. Never looked back. So buy the boat above and ship it. You won't be disappointed. If I were selling mine (and I believe I have the nicest best kept 2008 SX230 in the east) I would probably be asking in the lower 20s and get it. And the buyer would be buying a turn key boat that needs nothing. So to reiterate RUN. AND RUN FAST. THAT BOAT IS A POS. Clearly, the owners did not care for it properly.