• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha 195S top speed = 48.6 (Cobra/Thrust Vector/Riva Air Filter)

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Last season was my first with my 195S and it was late to arrive so I put my Cobra AK19 fins on before I ever took it out. Top speed was 48.6 mph. I was curious if I could squeeze some additional speed and hit 50. So in the spirit of spending money unnecessarily I put on the new Trust Vector L (thinking less drag) and the Riva Racing K&N air filter (thinking better air flow). The top speed was exactly the same, 48.6. I've heard the ribbon delete may improve performance but not sure if there is any safety issue involved with that? So while 50 would have been nice, it's not a big deal. I cruise at 25-30 anyway. Save your money on the air filter. Both the Cobra fins and Thrust Vectors are worth the money, there is a slightly different feel between the two.

Last season was my first with my 195S and it was late to arrive so I put my Cobra AK19 fins on before I ever took it out. Top speed was 48.6 mph. I was curious if I could squeeze some additional speed and hit 50. So in the spirit of spending money unnecessarily I put on the new Trust Vector L (thinking less drag) and the Riva Racing K&N air filter (thinking better air flow). The top speed was exactly the same, 48.6. I've heard the ribbon delete may improve performance but not sure if there is any safety issue involved with that? So while 50 would have been nice, it's not a big deal. I cruise at 25-30 anyway. Save your money on the air filter. Both the Cobra fins and Thrust Vectors are worth the money, there is a slightly different feel between the two.
I wouldn't waste my time deleting the ribbon on an svho

Could you explain the feel difference in your opinion of the thrust vector and cobra?

cobra works at all speeds and the others only at slow docking speeds, cobra is adjustable the other is not , cobra has the deluxe version with the plaining surface to make the wake cleaner and it is tempered aluminum with nice rounded edges and no need for a kick stand in shallow water as it does not hang below the rudder. and on the twin engine systems cobra has the second tie rod for balance and redundancy cobra also has a variety of model specific steering systems for ALL Yamaha jet boats, but cobra has been doing steering for 20 years can your jet boat do this?
Hell yes if it has cobra steering on it.

Could you explain the feel difference in your opinion of the thrust vector and cobra?
I had the Cobras all last season and only used the TV once so far this year. IMHO I think the TV tracked a bit straighter at no wake speed, but just marginally better. The wheel felt lighter to turn at higher speeds with the TV. I could definitely do fun low speed spinouts easier with the TV. However, coming off throttle on plane I definitely lost steering with the TV until I got pretty slow, the Cobras were much better at off throttle steering. Once tubing season starts I'll be able to tell if the stern slides during turns while using TV, the stern was locked in using Cobras last year. That could be a big deciding factor on which one I like best. You can see from the pics that the TV sits a bit lower in the water and probably gives it better slow speed control. I can lower the Cobras a bit more than in this pic but then it starts to block the reverse lateral thrust. Either way they both work well. I just felt like seeing for myself what the difference was. I can try to comment some more after additional trips.

Attachments

• 20220315_101129.jpg
    20220315_101129.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220315_121101.jpg
    20220315_121101.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38
I started a thread a while back and got some great replies and advice - check this out

Read a lot about benefits of the lucky 13 cone

Run the boat on a light chop wide open. You may just hit 50. Good luck with mods. Will be tuned to see how it turns out.

50 mph on 195 was probably more doable on the 2017-2018 models before they redesigned the 2019+ hull which also added weight. The ribbon delete made more of an impact on throttle response on my SHO than top speed IIRC. It was a pain to install mainly because of the intake manifold bolt access but other than that pretty straight forward. This was with a metal intake and not a plastic one I’ve seen on some of the newer engines so YMMV.

FYI...48.8 mph gps on my 07 Ar230 with cobra ultimates. I never saw 49 mph, let alone 50. Pretty much a stock boat except for the ultimates and trim tabs, neither of which will increase top speed in a straight line.

My 212S breaks 50 pretty regularly, as long as the bimini is down and nobody in the bow. 100% stk. I know this isn't helping just wanted to brag ? in the reflection you can see i an wearing my safety lanyard, safety first ?
20211119_140258.jpg

I've seen 53-54 on the FSH195. That was on a glass lake, bimini down, half a tank. I've seen mid-40s in the ICW.

Back