• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

yamaha 212 engine bay filled with water

mscombest

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey all. I wish my first post was a better one but I'm In need of help. I have a 2009 yamaha 212ss. scupper failed this weekend while anchored(assuming a kid kicked it in trying to get on the boat without a ladder). Anyway, long story short, then entire engine bay filled with water almost up to, but not actually to the filter. It sat in there for at least an hour, as it continued to take on water, filling up my cooler and my dry storage to the top with water. Was pretty lucky, as I'd say I was about 10-15 minutes before the entire boat would have been submerged completely.
This was on Sat. Drained all the water, let the boat dry in the sun yesterday. Today, through advice from others, I removed the spark plugs and cranked the engine.
Starter worked fine. the 2nd cylinder on the right engine did shoot some water out. I cranked it a few more times, and there was just a slight mist(almost vapor), but no shots of droplets.
I checked the oil, It doesn't look any different than normal but I will probably change it, the oil filter and the air filters out of an abundance of caution.
I am not mechanically inclined, but am willing to do any work that I can do. I just don't know the next steps.
1) Do I continue to crank that engine until there is no water (mist or anything)?
2) Is there anything else I need to do?
3) Is that engine toast or okay, or will some other diagnostic have to be run?
4) I have new sparkplugs to put in, but don't know if I should at this point or not?

I would love any advice you can provide me.
Thanks

Sorry to hear this. Welcome to the forum.

I’ve never had a problem with my Yamaha but I did have this happen to my seadoo speedster boat. Others can chime in more specifically to the Yammies.

In my case, I removed and cleaned the plugs, cranked the engine w/o plugs like you did until no more water comes out. If you’re still getting mist, I’d say you’re not there yet and try a bit longer.

I then changed the oil and filter and see if it starts up. If it does, take it for a good run and from what I understand this should boil off any residual water vapours.

I would then check the oil again and probably change it just to be sure.

Did the other engine start?

First, thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it.
I did not try to "start" either engine at this point. I haven't changed the oil yet, and don't know if I should start it before I change the oil(even though it looks fine). Not real sure how to tell if its "milky".
I can't take it out on the water, regardless, because of the broken scupper. I will have to get it replaced before I can go out.
I'm hoping that the length of time before taking it off and evaporating any of the excess water doesn't cause significant problems.
I've never run the engines on land with a waterhose before.(Just got the boat last year), and don't know if revving them while doing that is advised.
Have to do some research I guess.

First, thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it.
I did not try to "start" either engine at this point. I haven't changed the oil yet, and don't know if I should start it before I change the oil(even though it looks fine). Not real sure how to tell if its "milky".
I can't take it out on the water, regardless, because of the broken scupper. I will have to get it replaced before I can go out.
I'm hoping that the length of time before taking it off and evaporating any of the excess water doesn't cause significant problems.
I've never run the engines on land with a waterhose before.(Just got the boat last year), and don't know if revving them while doing that is advised.
Have to do some research I guess.

I would not rev the engine while connected to a water hose. It doesn't typically provide enough cooling.
Good luck getting this fixed. I think you have taken all the right steps so far

I hear you. Let’s see what others say but generally in my experience the sooner you can get the engines going the better.

You can definitely run from a hose. It’s described in the owners manual I think. I would change the oil and try and start using the hose as soon as you can. I wouldn’t rev them, just run them at fast idle until they’re warm. And watch for overheating. These boats have a warning horn but you can’t be too careful.

Thank you for that. One additional question(without trying to open up a can of worms). Noone around me sells yamalube.
It will be Sat. before I can get the required oil and oil filter.
Will regular mobile one 10w-40 work? I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago. Since I haven't cranked the engines, if I replace the oil, is replacing the oil filters necessary at this point to run the engines?

Hey all. I wish my first post was a better one but I'm In need of help. I have a 2009 yamaha 212ss. scupper failed this weekend while anchored(assuming a kid kicked it in trying to get on the boat without a ladder). Anyway, long story short, then entire engine bay filled with water almost up to, but not actually to the filter. It sat in there for at least an hour, as it continued to take on water, filling up my cooler and my dry storage to the top with water. Was pretty lucky, as I'd say I was about 10-15 minutes before the entire boat would have been submerged completely.
This was on Sat. Drained all the water, let the boat dry in the sun yesterday. Today, through advice from others, I removed the spark plugs and cranked the engine.
Starter worked fine. the 2nd cylinder on the right engine did shoot some water out. I cranked it a few more times, and there was just a slight mist(almost vapor), but no shots of droplets.
I checked the oil, It doesn't look any different than normal but I will probably change it, the oil filter and the air filters out of an abundance of caution.
I am not mechanically inclined, but am willing to do any work that I can do. I just don't know the next steps.
1) Do I continue to crank that engine until there is no water (mist or anything)?
2) Is there anything else I need to do?
3) Is that engine toast or okay, or will some other diagnostic have to be run?
4) I have new sparkplugs to put in, but don't know if I should at this point or not?

I would love any advice you can provide me.
Thanks

I hear you. Let’s see what others say but generally in my experience the sooner you can get the engines going the better.

You can definitely run from a hose. It’s described in the owners manual I think. I would change the oil and try and start using the hose as soon as you can. I wouldn’t rev them, just run them at fast idle until they’re warm. And watch for overheating. These boats have a warning horn but you can’t be too careful.
If you get a alarm , don't freak out and just DO NOT turn off the engines without turning the water off first. Engine on then water on, Water off the engine off

Last edited:
Thank you for that. One additional question(without trying to open up a can of worms). Noone around me sells yamalube.
It will be Sat. before I can get the required oil and oil filter.
Will regular mobile one 10w-40 work? I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago. Since I haven't cranked the engines, if I replace the oil, is replacing the oil filters necessary at this point to run the engines?

If you’re going to change the oil for Yamalube in a few days, I think regular oil should be fine for the bit of time you’re going to run the engines.

Ideally you should change the filter but what I would probably do is remove the filter, dump out (sorry, recycle) the oil in the filter and then reinstall it for your test. When you get the Yamalube, then get new filters.

Did you get towed in ??

You need to start the engines as soon as possible, like yesterday,

if you were only getting a mist out I'd try to run them. you need to get them up to operating temp's for a while to burn off any moisture in the system so rust doesn't form internally. I'd run them for at least 30 minutes on the hose at fast idle or even higher stopping every 10 minutes to check the oil, I'd probably run them for an hour,

if you have water in the oil it will look like a chocolate milk shake, you'll definitely be able to tell,
if you do think you have water in the oil at would stop and change the oil, I wouldn't wait for yamalube, I'd put in whatever I had because you'll probably be changing it again shortly,

where are you at? update your profile with your location, there may be a member nearby that could help you,

we've had numerous members go through this scenario and not have engine issues,

where are you at? update your profile with your location, there may be a member nearby that could help you,

we've had numerous members go through this scenario and not have engine issues,

I'm in Knoxville Tennessee. I will update the the profile. Thank you.

Did you get towed in ??

You need to start the engines as soon as possible, like yesterday,

if you were only getting a mist out I'd try to run them. you need to get them up to operating temp's for a while to burn off any moisture in the system so rust doesn't form internally. I'd run them for at least 30 minutes on the hose at fast idle or even higher stopping every 10 minutes to check the oil, I'd probably run them for an hour,

if you have water in the oil it will look like a chocolate milk shake, you'll definitely be able to tell,
if you do think you have water in the oil at would stop and change the oil, I wouldn't wait for yamalube, I'd put in whatever I had because you'll probably be changing it again shortly,

yes. I was very lucky and had a friend that was only about 5 minutes away and we were anchored less than 1000 yards from a ramp.

What @Scottintexas said. Need to get that running as soon as possible. I'm betting your oil is fine (if it were milky, you would know it). But getting it running should be the first priority.

How high did the water get? Air filter or oil filter?
Like what others have said get those engines running at home as soon as you can. It is unlikely you have water in the oil unless it came in the breather. I would not rev a MR-1 motor while on land. I do not even run mine at 'no wake' speed. I feel getting them started and running will eliminate 90% of potential problems.

The good news is those motors are quite robust and should give you many more years of service. Just give them a little love right now.

Maybe worth visiting here since they're only 45 minutes from you. Coming from someone who had water in their oil, it sounds like you're safe though in my opinion.

If there’s water in the oil it might not look bad on the dipstick until you run it for a while.

I’d get some cheap oil and filters and plan to change it a couple times after running the engine up to normal temp. Keep an eye on the oil and keep changing it until there is no sign of water. Better safe then sorry.

First, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
Quick update.
I moved the boat out of the garage yesterday, and changed the plugs(after cranking it multiple times to make sure there was no substantial water coming in. Left Engine started, no problem. Ran a hose on it for about 5 minutes just to make sure it stayed on. Good to go.
Right engine turned over, then died. Took the plugs back out, cranked it, a ton of water shot out of all 4 cylinders. I panicked. I guess the difference in incline shifted water that was still in the engine. Cranked it multiple times to get as much water out as I could. Reset the plugs.
It started. Even without the hose on, there was quite a bit of water exiting the back. Turned the hose on, ran it for 5 minutes. Turned it off, let it sit for about 10 minutes. Went back out, started right back up, ran the hose on it for another 5 minutes. turned it off (had to leave).
Checked the oil and it still seems fine(although I know i didn't really give it a test). However, there was a quite a bit of smoke coming out from the back of the boat while that engine was running. I didn't get an overheat warning. Curious as to whether that should be expected or if there is a deeper problem now inside the engine that I need to get looked at. Local yamaha service shop is 45 minutes away and 4 weeks backed up.
I have a stainless steel scupper arriving tomorrow, so hopefully i can replace that and get the boat out to run it through a harder test.
Just really worried about taking it on the water if the engine is smoking for whatever reason.
Again, thank you ALL for the input. I would say I would have at least one bad engine by now if it wasn't for this board.

By the way. Here is the picture showing where the water was.
It raised a little, not much. Don't think it actually got to the filter.
This was after we had spent about 30 minutes bailing water using liter water bottle with the top cut off.
Needless to say, they weren't doing much. LOL

Attachments

• engine compartment with water.jpg
    engine compartment with water.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 60
Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I think cranking the motor without the plugs in might lead to smoke from the engine. I'd keep running it on the hose and checking the oil for any water intrusion. You may have got extremely lucky that you didn't damage your engine with the initial crank while there was still a little water in the cylinders.

Back