• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 275SD reliability?

MarkG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Hi, new member here, new to boating, and new to Yamaha.

I took delivery of a 275SD this week, went for an orientation, and everything was great.

Then I took it out on the water today and had some problems. As I a lot of problems. As in both engines shut down about halfway across a large bay. I was with my wife and 4 yr old daughter. The bilge warning came on, so I ran the bulge pump and then the engines restarted. But I wasn’t running it hard and being a few miles from land at the time, it was concerning in a new boat. I think the warning then was a BCU warning.

We made it to our destination, and then on way back, I was taking it extra easy. And then two check engine warnings came on, one said to check the BCU and the other to stop steering. Both engines were still running, but if I tried to going forward, it would only go in a circle to the left (even with the wheel turned all the way to the right). Thankfully my dealer was very responsive and available, and they had me reset the system 3 times, it worked from there and we made it to the marina.

Other issues I had were no audio output, poor spray output from the fresh water shower, and very inconsistent depth finder (can read 3 ft, - - ft with a warning, or 115 ft at the same place). I had so many buzz warnings go off today I was starting to get a headache.

I’ve been very excited about this boat, but is this what I can expect? It has a 5 yr warranty, but can I trust this boat when I take my family out? This has been a bit of an eye opener.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Don't know much about the how the 275 is set up, but I have learned the E series boats are extremely sensitive to low batteries. Even if the batteries are reading over 12v at rest or over 13 while underway, they still may need to be topped off. Make sure they are fully charged and are hooked to some sort of battery charger/maintainer while not in use. Most on this forum install some sort of onboard battery charger/maintainer. I got the BCU error early after taking delivery. Ever since I installed my ProMariner onboard charger.... it's been a non issue.

Don't know much about the how the 275 is set up, but I have learned the E series boats are extremely sensitive to low batteries. Even if the batteries are reading over 12v at rest or over 13 while underway, they still may need to be topped off. Make sure they are fully charged and are hooked to some sort of battery charger/maintainer while not in use. Most on this forum install some sort of onboard battery charger/maintainer. I got the BCU error early after taking delivery. Ever since I installed my ProMariner onboard charger.... it's been a non issue.
Interesting...thanks!

@MarkG Any updates on the performace/ issues you mentioned above?

Yes, they fixed it under warranty. There was a problem with one of the battery connectors which was replaced, and that fixed most of the problems. They also replaced the depth gauge sensor. I have not had any warnings go off since that time. I'm very happy with the resolution of the problem, thanks for reminding me to update my post.

Good to hear Sir!!!!! Someday I hope to see some pics of your new toy!

You go Boy!!!!!! I am beyond envious of those aft seats. Even though the aft platform is why we bought our boat, I think the upgrades with adjustable seat back is beyond genius!!!!!!

Hi!
maybe someone can help me out with this. i just bought a 275sd. after reading the posts above i feel like i was looking in the mirror. it started out well enough. the first month the boat ran well but did have some small issues such as USB connectors and the door lock to the head never worked from the time i received the boat initially. the shower spray is also very low in terms of water strength but these were small items and i wasn't too upset.
then the real fun started.
after 10 hours on the engines the boat went in for its recommended service. Since the steering at slow speeds is not great on this boat, i asked jet ski of miami if the vector thrusts which i purchased for 500 dollars would help. they said yes. so i had them install them. when i got the boat back from Jet Ski Of Miami the boat ran well for about 15 minutes then both engines stalled out of no where. this happened as i was entering a marina which was not fun. then the next day the BCU light came on and the boat was dead in the water. i needed to get towed.
jet ski of miami then took the boat back and told me it was due to the vector thrusts so they needed to be removed. the head compartment door still wasnt fixed so they attempted to fix for the second time. i got the boat back again (with the head door still not working) and after two days the BCU light came on again. this time i was just finished pulling into the marina so i didnt need a tow thankfully. keep in mind, the boat is now only 2 months old at this point. Now jet ski of miami told me it was due to low battery issue but the hole in their theory was this BCU warning light came on two days after jet ski of miami did the initial service. they confirmed they checked the batteries and they were fully charged so how can this be? after fighting with them and the manufacturer they finally acquiesced to installing a third batter and triple charger free of charge but wanted to charge me for this and only didn't after the manufacturer got involved. Now i have the boat back for round three. took it out sunday and the door to the head still doesnt lock but the boat ran well. is this what i have to look forward to even after the warranty is up? they basically told me that they will continue to fix the issues but other than that there is nothing i can do about it. Does anyone know of any instance where there is a type of lemon law for boats? this is brand new and its nuts. I have heard of the Magnison Moss Warranty Act but it different then a lemon law to some extent. At what point do i have an option to hold the company responsible and be able to return the boat without any additional cost on my end? would really appreciate any feedback.
thanks

let me say this...it doesnt matter how expensive or high quality the boat is, there is always going to be a punch list of items that typically needs to get addressed. usually the more complex the boat and the more stuff on it, the bigger the list. i have been in the marine industry all my life. both on the service end and manufacturing. boats from 300K to 15mil. they ALL have items and some kinks to work out so dont get too frustrated. the door handle is minor. if they have to get a new handle from yamaha then that is not a big deal and im sure will be addressed. the important thing here is your engine and warning lights. if they fixed that then your good since that can leave you stranded. now yamaha doesnt supply the batteries to the boat. your dealer does. getting a bad battery is quite common these days and these dealers usually throw in the cheapest batteries they can find. with all the electronics in boats these days i wouldnt be surprised if one of the batteries was causing the issue. you actually have only one battery that supplies the electronics on the boat. the small center consoles i work on 33+37' have a bank of 5-6 odyssey batteries just to keep the electronics and boat systems going. at some point i would pull those batteries they gave you out and get good odyssey batteries. might cost a little bit but well worth it imo. remember on the 275sd its running the connext, the steering, the shift, basically everything is relying on that cheap $80 battery that your dealer threw in there.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for responding! the additional thread was very informative. i think i just had that one main issue (BCU) which was caused first by the vector thrusts then by the battery. i removed the thrusts and now i have three batteries and a triple charger and when taking the boat out on sunday all seemed fine. love the idea about better quality batteries and will look into that as well
thanks again buddy

I highly doubt the thrust vectors had anything to do with it. I know someone that has them on their 275 and zero issues. I have a set here ready to go on my 275

i would love to put them on again. i have them still and haven't returned them. they make a huge difference for sure. maybe i will give it a few months of trying to run the boat with out issues before i give it another shot. but the issue is when that BCU light comes on your dead in the water. then you need a tow and not fun. maybe the dealer thought it was those thrusts first but really was the low batteries in the first place. only way to know is i guess to try and install them again.
how about you try the on yours and keep me in the loop lol. if yours don't give you issues after a couple months then your probably correct

I would be glad to do that BUT we are at the end of the season here. I will probably only get one more ride on the boat and thats it. Then my trailer will be in and ill be picking the boat up from the dealer. The prob wont go on until late march. You have the right idea though. Run it for a bit. Make sure all is good then throw them back on. The guy i know jas a 2019 and he has had them on for 2 years now

makes sense. ill keep you posted
at least in miami i get to go year round but that also means a year round of issues potentially lol :(

Have our 2020 275SE back to the dealer as we speak. Numerous issues like a poltergeist-possessed stereo system, bad speaker, 275 sign falling off...simple stuff. The ones I can’t deal with are several gel coat cracks that appeared on the helm, a starboard engine that doesn’t like to start consistently, and the fact that it takes literally 1.5 hrs to fill the fuel tank (otherwise shutting off the pump...and yes, have tried multiple pumps). Agree that the most frustrating part is the inconsistency in the issues. I’m lucky I haven’t had engine shutdowns and BCU errors but it does make me worried for what happens after the warranty runs out...

well i havent tried filling it with fuel yet. dealership filled the tank when i got it. no stereo or connext issues. other than the leaking anchor locker which is a quick fix, the only other issue i had was my safety shutdown switches for the cleanout hatches needed adjusting. i would hit a hard boat wake and the engines would shut down. i knew immediately and adjusted those in 5 min myself while floating on the water. no biggie and i think thats a really common adjustment. ill have to check my 275 signs.

Back