• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 275SD reliability?

ive had the same issues with the stereo. most of my usb adapters have had issues from day one. working then not working then working again. they have already replaced two of them. now my connection to my phone with the usb at the helm is an issue and they are ordering a part to replace it. my gut tells me we are all Ginny pigs with this boat since the technology is new and this is the first year they have done a 27 ft boat. the marina i keep my boat at has 50 jet boats that are older and NONE are on consistent triple chargers. lucky us.
i would absolutely say that beyond all the issues with the boat, the worst part about the entire experience so far is THE TOTAL LACK OF A POSITIVE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE WITH JET SKI OF MIAMI. I OWN A MEDICAL BUSINESS WITH 15 LOCATIONS AND CANNOT POOSIBLY IMAGINE TREATING OUR PATIENTS THE WAY I HAVE BEEN SO EASILY DISMISSED BY JET SKI OF MIAMI. I AM HAPPY TO TALK TO ANYONE WNATING TO GO TO PURCHASE A BOAT OR JET SKI FROM THEM AND WOULD TELL THEM TO RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION.

my gut feeling on your boat is you had 1 battery that wasnt up to snuff so they added a third which now hides that problem. i dont think a third battery was necessary since they could have just gotten good batteries and replaced them...BUT its also not a bad thing. the bigger the bank of batteries you have in any boat the better. i hope you have no more issues with that. i retrofitted my 232 with the same usb ports so people could charge their phones while out for the day and have found that it only takes one drop of water in them and they short out and are done. i dont think they can make a usb port thats waterproof because the connections are right there. super important to keep that rubber cap on them and they get no water directly on them. not saying thats your issue but thats what i found with the ones i have installed. sux your not happy with the dealer. my experience with the dealer here is positive so far. they have been really good to work with.

Last edited:
Have our 2020 275SE back to the dealer as we speak. Numerous issues like a poltergeist-possessed stereo system, bad speaker, 275 sign falling off...simple stuff. The ones I can’t deal with are several gel coat cracks that appeared on the helm, a starboard engine that doesn’t like to start consistently, and the fact that it takes literally 1.5 hrs to fill the fuel tank (otherwise shutting off the pump...and yes, have tried multiple pumps). Agree that the most frustrating part is the inconsistency in the issues. I’m lucky I haven’t had engine shutdowns and BCU errors but it does make me worried for what happens after the warranty runs out...

Curious on starboard engine issues, any more details? Curious if its same to my issues.

Curious on starboard engine issues, any more details? Curious if its same to my issues.
Yeah...just seems to start inconsistently. It’s usually 2-3 starts before it actually runs well; otherwise it just dies. This last time before pulling it out (after sitting for about 10 days) it took 5 starts. Feels like a fuel flow issue but have asked the dealer to check into it.

my gut feeling on your boat is you had 1 battery that wasnt up to snuff so they added a third which now hides that problem. i dont think a third battery was necessary since they could have just gotten good batteries and replaced them...BUT its also not a bad thing. the bigger the bank of batteries you have in any boat the better. i hope you have no more issues with that. i retrofitted my 232 with the same usb ports so people could charge their phones while out for the day and have found that it only takes one drop of water in them and they short out and are done. i dont think they can make a usb port thats waterproof because the connections are right there. super important to keep that rubber cap on them and they get no water directly on them. not saying thats your issue but thats what i found with the ones i have installed. sux your not happy with the dealer. my experience with the dealer here is positive so far. they have been really good to work with.
Oh now I’m curious about the USB port...never used it for audio. All my pain has been with Bluetooth...connects at first but then after going from float mode back to running the stereo freaks out, won’t pass any audio (even though it will show the track info on the screen) and only gives a high pitch whine. I would have thought it was my phone but when it does that literally no audio works...try to change to FM tuner and all I get is channel 0.00 and it won’t tune to anything else.

Yeah...just seems to start inconsistently. It’s usually 2-3 starts before it actually runs well; otherwise it just dies. This last time before pulling it out (after sitting for about 10 days) it took 5 starts. Feels like a fuel flow issue but have asked the dealer to check into it.

Interesting - mine will randomly not start no matter number of tries. Sometimes happens at the boat ramp, sometimes happens after sitting at the sandbar for a few hours, or wakeboarding. Really no rhyme or reason to it.

My fzs with the svho can be odd to start and when you let off the throttle fairly quick it can stall. Until i ended up buying a maptuner and having riva custom write me a tune for it i was able to correct that. The svho is a great engine, really strong and reliable but the way they have them tuned from the factory at low rpms is a little funky. In my limited time using bluetooth and the radio tuner i never had anything wonky like what you describe

Thats really odd and a completely different issue than my ski. What do need to do to actually get it to start up?

adrianp89, I run into this occasionally where the engine just cranks but not start ,I move the throttle back and forth and retry this usually works.
I believe it is the throttle positioning sensor,, in case that does not solve the problem try turning the key on for a few seconds before hitting the start position , just in case the fuel system is the issue.

I highly doubt the thrust vectors had anything to do with it. I know someone that has them on their 275 and zero issues. I have a set here ready to go on my 275
On the contrary - I think that if the TVs were installed incorrectly and a bolt was overtightened, it could absolutely contribute to BCU errors. If the BCU servers have an overcurrent situation trying to move the buckets, they'll error out. TVs ride on the same bolts as the buckets.

If the reverse buckets are interfered with and they can not move properly it will cause issues with the computer, I never remove the stainless steel standoffs that the reverse buckets rotate on for that reason , those create a free float zone for the reverse bucket to move up and down in with no obstruction.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, the batteries they add at the dealerships are typically very small and cheap. When I bought the 242 I had a set of Optima (27 and 31 group sizes) and I told the dealer I wanted a credit on the batteries and I'd supply my own. I use the larger one on the House battery and the smaller as the start. Those things are amazing. Additionally, I always have them on a tender (either when out of the boat, or through the Boat's onboard solar chargers) and they always just work.

On my 09, I also had an issue after the first year where there were very evenly-spaced cracks in the glass along the bottom of the windshield. At the end of the season my dealer looked at it and determined that the holes drilled into the glass were just a touch out of spec and when they put the windshield on the boat and the frame flexed, cracks ensued. The good thing is they sent it out to the Glass shop and it was repaired so well you'd never know it was there. Yamaha stood behind the repair and covered it under warranty.

On the contrary - I think that if the TVs were installed incorrectly and a bolt was overtightened, it could absolutely contribute to BCU errors. If the BCU servers have an overcurrent situation trying to move the buckets, they'll error out. TVs ride on the same bolts as the buckets.

ahh yes well i was also assuming they are installed correctly

From what I've seen, the batteries they add at the dealerships are typically very small and cheap. When I bought the 242 I had a set of Optima (27 and 31 group sizes) and I told the dealer I wanted a credit on the batteries and I'd supply my own. I use the larger one on the House battery and the smaller as the start. Those things are amazing. Additionally, I always have them on a tender (either when out of the boat, or through the Boat's onboard solar chargers) and they always just work.

exactly! this was the point i was trying to make to the op. since my dealer didnt charge me any additional fees for any of the prep i just let them put their batteries in the boat for now but you can bet before next season those will come out and a pair of odyssey extremes are goin in.

I have the occasional hard start on STBD engine too - most always coming off of a lot of RPM surfing, turning around and killing it without letting it idle down. Same as Cobra Jet - just F with the throttles a bit and it'll fire back up.

Just picked up our 2022 275SD
Does anyone know if the Helm light suppose to dim like Courtesy lights. Our Helm and Logo lights are always on full bright, however underwater lights dim only when Courtesy lights are also turned on. Is it suppose to be this way, or is this a glitch?

there is a % setting/slider you can put the night time lights on. i set mine to 10%. this is for the connext display. it will dim to your setting once you turn the nav lights on.

there is a % setting/slider you can put the night time lights on. i set mine to 10%. this is for the connext. it will dim to your setting once you turn the nav lights on.
I know about the display dimming. My question is about the Helm light. Its the background LED lighting of switch panels.

oh you mean that blue edge lighting on the helm panels. there is another dimmer slider there somewhere and that controls all the blue lighting on the boat. helm, logo, buttons, all of it if i am not mistaken. that stuff you can dim with or without the nav lights on. ill double check next time im on the boat. display only dims when the nav lights are turned on.

Back