• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Boat Size/Year/Generation Preferences

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I own a 19', and you're right that more than 5 adults would feel cramped other than at anchor with a couple of people on the platform or in the water. Advantage of the smaller boat is of course what you tow it with, but looks like you have plenty of vehicle for any of these options.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR230 after installing Seadeck. People ask me if the boats new and don’t believe me when I tell them it’s an 09.
A lot of the boats at the boat shows have some type of Seadeck material that helps make an older boat look more up to date plus you can remove or change decals if they make the boat look datedE8830D21-D8F2-4CD7-A113-C00A5A6B18F0.jpeg7A197F4A-CB5B-4253-B39C-66B699D68E04.jpeg0293F02B-F599-416C-8540-CBD47B25F2CE.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
About the only thing I can find on @Babin Farms boat that looks dated is the stereo remote on the rear platform.

The lines and shape of the hull and tower still pass for "new boat" shapes. The seadeck and excellent exterior condition really help a lot as well.

Wife and I are considering an upgrade in the fall/spring, and we're on the lookout for a gray AR240. From what I can gather those only came for a couple of years in that color and they're around the '10-'12 year range as best I can tell. Might leave us "downgrading" from a 2017 boat to a 2010 boat.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
About the only thing I can find on @Babin Farms boat that looks dated is the stereo remote on the rear platform.
I’m trying to find something to replace it with but not sure yet. Wife controls the radio with her watch so no need for controls back there. Any ideas??

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m trying to find something to replace it with but not sure yet. Wife controls the radio with her watch so no need for controls back there. Any ideas??
Go for Fusion HU and remote. I have the ud750 HU and it’s complimentary remote on the transom

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go for Fusion HU and remote. I have the ud750 HU and it’s complimentary remote on the transom
Just replaced HU last winter & No need for transom controls.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good spot for one of the Garelick Table Mounts?

I've been trying to figure out how to put a trash can behind the bulkhead for awhile now. Maybe a good opening for that?

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so I was able to go see a 2012 sx210 today because it is owned by someone in my community. It looks to be in good shape. The only negatives on the condition that I could see were some cracks in the vinyl on the driver chair, a small hole on the back vinyl on the J seat, and the navy on the outside of the boat toward the top looked a little faded. The owner said that there was some kind of treatment to put on the faded part and it will make it not ceded looking anymore. He said he does it once per year. Everything else was very clean and appeared in good shape. The hours are about 130. The Bimini was rolled up and appeared to maybe have some minor discoloration but nothing major. The trailer is a dual wheel with brakes. He said I could buy it for $20k.

My only hesitation is the smaller engines. I’m concerned that I get it and am disappointed in the performance.

So my 2 major questions are:

Should I hold off for a boat with HO engines?

Based on your experiences, how does that deal sound on this boat? It seems like a decent deal to me but I have not bought/sold/owned these boats before.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you take the boat on a sea trial? If not, would definitely recommend that. And a compression test on the engine.

Number of hours is actually right on what I have on my 2012 (128 on mine). So, that is not a massive amount of use, but it also did not sit unrun forever. Probably a good thing. I would not worry overly about the HO engines. Especially in this market. I mean, yes, they are nice, but I think you will find plenty of get-up-and-go without them...

Price seems a reasonable ask to me, but go to the NADA website and see how they price it. Also check out the classifieds here and around to see if you can find comparable boats.

Update your profile with your location and check the membership map. There may be someone nearby who is willing to take a peek at the boat for you, as well. Or will have a compression tester (if you don't have one), etc.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree on the HO, do we all want more power? Yes. But be honest about how you plan on using the boat. High Outputs can really suck down some gas and I don’t really mean that from a cost stand point, I mean it from do have access to gas easily? Is there a marina near you on the lake? If gas is not an issue (access-wise) and you really want whip people around on tubes then get the HO’s. If not, you’ll have plenty of power to pull a wakeboarder, get from A-B, and not have to worry too much about gas consumption. There’s no wrong answer here, it’s all based on how you’ll use the boat.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks.

I could not go out on the boat today because I did not have time and the boat was at the owners home. He did offer to take it out for a ride but the logistics just couldn’t work today.

The nada avg retail is $23k for just the boat and not the trailer. It does not appear to have a lot of upgrades I don’t think. The stereo seems to be pretty old and basic so again I don’t see any visible upgrades. The engine bay looked very clean.

The HO is really my only concern. I do not know what reasons make the HO a requirement other than just wanting the power when you need it. I just don’t want to get a boat and get out on the water and it perform poorly or not have enough power.

If this boat ends up being a very great deal then I would really consider trying to get it because it makes sense to try. If it’s not a great deal then I may look around a bit more for a good deal on a HO boat. I have seen some 21’ HO boats in the 2010 area for the high 20’s. I have seen some 2012-2013 242’s for mid 30’s. I have also seen some 2007-2009 230’s for the low to mid 20’s.

That is what I have been seeing. I want to get this right the first time and I am definitely open to getting this sx210. I just want to make sure it’s worth me reaching out to get it or if I should hold off to look for a HO boat.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Follow your gut! For what it’s worth, the HO would be nice to have, but where I boat I have to pull it out every time for gas. So for my case I’m glad I do not have the HO’s. And no one has ever said “your boat is slow” ha.

Good luck!!!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a ‘07-‘09 AR230 would be just right for you!
I have an ‘09 AR230 just like BabinFarms above, with all the new boats that have came out I have seen nothing that makes me want to sell mine and buy a new one. I think you will see quite a few ‘07-‘09 owners say the same thing. I too have been asked if my boat was new.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a ‘07-‘09 AR230 would be just right for you!
I have an ‘09 AR230 just like BabinFarms above, with all the new boats that have came out I have seen nothing that makes me want to sell mine and buy a new one. I think you will see quite a few ‘07-‘09 owners say the same thing. I too have been asked if my boat was new.
Those boats are definitely on my radar. I just have not seen many of them come available. I have seen a few but most I have seen are either overpriced or are in questionable condition. I have not seen one in person to see the size or anything else unfortunately. When I got in the sx210 today I thought it was a pretty good size. I think it would work for us I am also sure a 230 would work also. I assume towing may be a bit harder with a 23’ boat but hopefully it’s not a world of difference.

All in all, I just don’t want to make a decision that I regret. The sx210 seems to be a good price according to the nada, it is only 10 mins from my house, and it appears to be in good shape. It does have a lot going for it. I wish there were 23’ or 24’ boats near me that I could check out too but nothing within 2 hours so far. I am going to read info and responses here, continue to monitor bots for sale, and hopefully make a decision one day this week. The sx210 that I looked at is not really advertised or anything right now. I was referred by a friend because they’re local guys. I don’t want to wait too long though and lose the ability to choose.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The nada avg retail is $23k for just the boat and not the trailer.
So you are aware Yamaha boats all came with a trailer as a package, there should be no consideration given for the trailer unless it’s been upgraded.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So you are aware Yamaha boats all came with a trailer as a package, there should be no consideration given for the trailer unless it’s been upgraded.
That and book values are not really accurate for boats. They are not based on sale prices. Instead they use straight line depreciation. Which this year happens to be low compared to market.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, I totally get that. Book values are nothing but a guideline, for sure. Its the same with everything. I just try to use it as a guideline or measuring stick to see where things are at. I do not have to deal with a bank so it will not impact my purchase. I would imagine its important to know for potential sales though because I would imagine that banks will use the book to determine how much they will loan.

Just trying to make a good decision on the best boat for us and paying a good price for that boat.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was willing to drive almost anywhere to get the boat that I wanted. Found one in Michigan, Utah and of course, Florida. After a long time looking we found "the one" & I drove from Northern Illinois to Kentucky to buy my boat, so you may have to travel to get what you want and depending on the local market for boats it might be cheaper or more expensive.
Right now you are not going to get a "good price" on a boat. Everyone wants top dollar. Keep looking and don't settle for something you don't really want.

Fuel consumption with the MR1 engines is not bad at all IMO. We boated on Corralville lake for 2 full days, tubed, wakeboarded, cruised at speed a lot, hung out in coves at times, cruised at speed some more and had a great time and only used 22 gallons of fuel. When we are on the local rivers it's about the same for fuel usage.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I get what you are saying. I do see some insane boat prices on some of these boats. I am not exactly sure what a "normal" good price is on some of these compared to what we see now.

When I search, I normally use about a 200-300 mile range from me so I am reaching out a bit. I don't think I would drive cross-country or anything like that, but I am willing to go get it if I find the right one.

For the fuel consumption, I cannot say that I know 100% how much the boat would be used where. For example, the river that's pretty close to me I am pretty certain that it does not have any on-the-water gas pumps. I would be towing/launching the boat every time I use it there for sure. The lakes that are a couple hours from me do likely have gas on-the-water. Initially, I would be towing/launching there too. I have not yet decided where I will store the boat so as of now it will be all tow/launch until I decide where to store the boat.