• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Horn not working

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK maybe someone has an idea. I am stumped. Horn hasn't working since i purchased boat used last year. Last week i took out my meter and i am getting 12v to the horn when hitting the connext horn button. SO..i ASSUMED horn is bad. Ordered replacement. Installed today and it still isn't working. I then took the new and old horn and connect them direct to the battery and they work. SOOOO I am at a loss of what it could be. any ideas?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Bad switch?

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
im getting 12v at horn when i hit switch. and green horn shows up on screen.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK maybe someone has an idea. I am stumped. Horn hasn't working since i purchased boat used last year. Last week i took out my meter and i am getting 12v to the horn when hitting the connext horn button. SO..i ASSUMED horn is bad. Ordered replacement. Installed today and it still isn't working. I then took the new and old horn and connect them direct to the battery and they work. SOOOO I am at a loss of what it could be. any ideas?
I had the same exact problem, removed the horn from the boat and bench tested it and still wouldn't work so I tapped on it and BINGO! it works again. No problems since.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a losing battle on the older boats. Don't know about the newer ones. This is the worst horn known to man. I've replaced a couple of times and it last about a year. I keep a compliant whistle on the boat now. AQUA SIGNAL Electronic Horns | West Marine

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bad ground/return wire? If the horn works out of the boat there are only two connections. These horns are bad. I had to replace mine and just got a bigger better one (yes I had to make the hole bigger). Well worth it. It was a 2010 so no Connext.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^^ I was thinking bad ground also.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My horn has never worked... what IS the best replacement?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This stupid horn is the worst. Same issue here, dead when we purchased the boat and kept an air horn in the cup holder at the helm.

Replaced the horn, and then it worked. Not one season in, and it failed again. I had power at the horn, so I ordered a switch, it was not the issue. I may have to tap that sucker with a hammer as well.

My guess is these horns may be more sensitive to voltage. Either way, it's the wrong damn horn for these boats. I may need a train horn!

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

mattster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought this horn: BF4D8DF9-F6C3-42AB-BD5B-C5F687DF71C2.jpegFF5ED436-CC99-4287-8CD8-1AAF08440A46.jpeg

and while i was staring at it trying to figure out a template, I looked at the cardboard insert....and had a bit of an “ah-ha” moment. Or “DOH!”
this is for a ‘12 242 Ltd.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

mattster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It's LOUD. Makes the people in the bow jump every time! Odd thing is, when I first installed it, it worked for like a second. screw it. went inside. next day, same thing. Got one beep. later that day, worked perfectly! Idk if it was "stuck" or something, but works fine now. and, when IT needs replacing, the hole is already enlarged.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Confirming a Fiamm 51905 is a direct fit replacement for a 2016 242ls.

Appears as though the film that is supposed to prevent water from making it into the horn was compromised. Midway through the season the horn was struggling and by the end was completely dead (I carry a whistle and air horn on board as well). Only difference is that the new one now has a black colored film. Two screws and two spade connectors make for an easy peasy replacement.

I deconstructed the old one to better understand the failure. Below evidence would suggest that once the film was compromised water made it into the horn and rusted not only the diaphragm but all the way to the inner contact points and coil.

image.jpg
53D4CC7B-77D3-468A-A13A-188EA5FFF60B.jpeg
5128EFAB-FFA0-43DD-8114-F998B45C27B2.jpeg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing this. This model horn is actually on sale on Amazon for a fraction of the OE horn! I have been keeping an air horn at the helm for the past couple seasons. As I replaced the OE and it failed almost instantly.

From what you have shown, there is a good chance I may have killed mine with a pressure washer. One good hit with it, and it would have shredded that membrane.

I placed my order for your part just now. Thanks again!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing this. This model horn is actually on sale on Amazon for a fraction of the OE horn! I have been keeping an air horn at the helm for the past couple seasons. As I replaced the OE and it failed almost instantly.

From what you have shown, there is a good chance I may have killed mine with a pressure washer. One good hit with it, and it would have shredded that membrane.

I placed my order for your part just now. Thanks again!
Good call on the pressure washer as likely culprit compromising the membrane. Could certainly be the case for me as well. I also ordered from Amazon.

@Julian perhaps worthy of a FAQ or advisement of some sort?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another note on this. The instructions clearly show to mount this with coil facing up. I don’t recall which orientation it was from the factory but mounting per the instructions would likely go a ways towards preventing premature failure. It is just as easy to mount in either orientation.