• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha ls 2000

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am looking at buying a jetboat for my first time and it is listed as a 2004 yamaha twin 135 jetboat ls2000...But I havent been able to find that they actually make an ls 2000 this year.... Also He is asking 9500 and i offered 9000 is that a good price and if so what are the reviews??? Thanks for the help guys...

Joe from PA

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hi Joe, welcome aboard! I will defer to those guys with the 2 stroke knowledge, as the LS is a 2 stroke boat. Also, on the price, it is completely dependent on the condition of the boat. And on the 2 stroke boats, that can be a big variable. No, they haven't made 2 stroke boats or the LS2000 since about that same time period. They introduced the 4 stroke boats at about that time as well. And all the boats they have manufactured since then were 21', 23', and since 2010, a rework again on engines added 6" to the 230 and they call it a 240/242 at 24'. They also introduced a new 19' boat called either the 190 or 192 a couple years ago.

We need to direct you to some key information on the 2 stroke boats and it may be if we don't have it here, you can find it elsewhere. But one thing for sure is that the oil lines tend to fall off and destroy the engine, many guys modify those. Can anyone help Joe to a thread or tips page on the 2 stokes or do we need to send him over to yjb for the tips on those?

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
anyone that can help is a plus

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The oil lines really? I dont know of any issues except that he had to have the starbird engine rebuilt when he bought it after his first time out on the boat.... something about the oil not getting to the engine... which is intersting why you say that!!!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
from the Group K website it looks like LS2000 stopped in 2003.
LS 2000

1999-2003

1131cc / 135hp x 2

234”

yes the oil line falls off and then no oil to the engine = rebuilt engine,
unless you want to get mechanical I would tell you to look for a 4 stroke yamaha,

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Those engine rebuilds are a bit iffy too. Who did the rebuild and how long ago, etc.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Joe, does it have a swim deck on the back like this one? If so it is an LX210. Mechanically the same. Without a swim deck it would be a LS2000. Although there were a a small number of LX2000 models I sold my 2005 LX210 for $12,000 with lots of updates last year. When I was shopping in 2012 I expected to pay around $8,000 for a nice LS2000.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They are great boats however! And if you want a little go fast boat and buy it right, can do all your own work, and know what your getting, they are great. They are pretty rough on anything but smooth water, and you have to work on them. If you get into them and learn about their systems and engines, then you can really enjoy them a bunch. I know several of our members had them and moved to 4 stroke models. @Bruce @OCMD And they loved them...until they found out how much more simplified and lack of maintenence the 4 strokes were. I don't know but $9K sounds pretty high for that boat...unless it is perfect! Also, @DCB-270 had one and did a bunch of restoration on his before he moved up to a 212SS.

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
He had it rebuilt last year, Very very nice condition...He is a 51 year old gentleman and seems to be very ineterested in letting me take it out on the water first, some peope;l that i spoke to doint want to which means i wont buy it....did that last year on my first little junker boat and had nothing buyt issues with the our=tboard and i like fast and the jetboats aree easy for the river i rip around in seeing that some spots get to 3 feet and i dont have to wirry about trim and all that bs..... He sent me the general photos of the model but none of the actual boat til he gets back from vaca... I am going to take it out and see it in person sunday but i have pretty much decided on a jetboat for what i want to use it for....

any suggesitons or things to look/ask for would be much appreciated

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Joe S , first off, welcome!

I have no specific knowledge of this particular boat (other than being able to confirm that I have heard lots of people talk about the oil lines), but a couple of comments, generally:
1) As to engine rebuilds, it makes a big difference how much of the engine you rebuild. Some people will just rebuild the top half of the engine and call it rebuilt; other rebuilds will do top and bottom. And of course, the number of parts one replaces in a rebuild can vary... One of the things you want to ask is how long ago the rebuild was. A recent rebuild may be more suspect. Of course, one long ago means the engine overall is older now...
2) Another factor in the price can be the mods and outfitting. Does it have a sound system, new seats, new top, cover, fancy tires on the trailer--all of those things may justify some more $$$.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#1 question would be who rebuilt the engines. The most popular rebuilder is SBT.com. Some people like their low cost rebuilds, others say they are absolute junk. My LX210 had factory engines so I am unexperienced with rebuilds. But it seems clear that other rebuilders use more expensive components in their rebuilds.

#2 is how are the clean out plugs. These are located under a wide cover near the back of the boat. They should insert easily and lock securely. My first experience with a LS2000 was a test ride where the boat almost sunk because of a plug blowout. Rebuild kits for the plugs are available from Yamaha for around $80 a pair and in my experience make the plugs works much more easily. The plugs should be removed between usage of the boat to avoid them absorbing water or oil and swelling.

#3 would be the oil lines. Each engine has an oil pump that distributes oil to each cylinder. The factory used a type of oil line that shrunk over time and fastened the lines with cable ties. Many 1200 engined boats and jet skis have lost engines to shrunken oil lines. My 2005's oil lines were supple and sufficient strength. I believe that Yamaha changed the hose material at some point.

Did you see my picture of the LX210 swim deck above? That swim deck makes a huge difference in usability. It also has a full ladder that is easier to climb than the LS2000.

We upgraded to a SX230 to be able to take more people out. It also burns less fuel.

We really enjoyed the LX210. My wife really enjoyed being able to lay across the pad over the engine. The LX210 was much more aggressive and similar to a large Jet Ski in the water. We had a great time with it. I still miss that boat.

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@tdonoughue , thank you

The rebuild was last year and yes he has had it out since lthe rebuild...
When asked if he replaced the top and bottom he said the head blew was his answer ... he isnt an avid boater he has had it for 3 years and ran it and uses it with his family and such... Not as often as i will be out every week in the summer...

He seems not to know very much about boats just enjoys taking it out...older gentleman

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@Bruce
It did not have the extended back swim platform just the original with the fold up black ladder...
The cleanout plugs i will check in person but i believe that he said they should pop out and pop right back in so that they can be cleaned out easily. also defiantely will attach buoys of sorts onto the plugs just in case as i have seen sometimes they can blow out...
.. also he is sending me the reciept when he gets back from vaca for the engine rebuild... and I will have the oil lines checked before i would take it out...
Bimini is like new
Cover is like new
Trailer has like new tires and all lights work perfectly.....
Seats 7 comfrotably... Which is why I am leaning toward this model and not the smaller five seater....

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seats 7 comfortably, depends on the size of your friends. We had 8 including four kids on ours many times. In this picture we had two adults and four kids in the back and a 120 pound and 270 pound adult in the bow. It worked just fine on a relatively calm lake. I would not have wanted that group in our boat for one of the our ocean island excursions, but I had that same group in the back of our SX230 out to Ship Island last year. We had a lot of fun with our LX210 for very little cost. So I certainly am not discouraging you at all.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a 2002 LX 2000 a few months ago for $6,500 without a trailer. I didn't check the clean out plugs when inspecting the boat and later had to cut one of them out since it was stuck and I couldn't remove it even using a hydraulic jack. You don't have to remove the oil lines, there is an alternative--you can get a plug from Island Racing and insert it in the oil pump for a few dollars; however, if you do it this way you will need to pre-mix your gas and oil. If you use this alternative you can always take out the plug at a later date if you want and go back to the way it is set up now.

These do smoke a lot, especially when at idle, and they are hard to start. I finally had the carbs overhauled and installed primers since I was having so much trouble starting the engines. They are also somewhat noisy.

The boat you are looking at is 12 years old so problems can crop up at any time. I have had a few issues with my LX and finally decided I would just get a new Yamaha as my "main" boat and keep the LX at my house.

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@xoomer
I guess what it comes down to is this... I want to get it and it is a upgrade since my frist boat last year was a 89 bayliner capri with an 85 hp outboard motor...lol and I expect to have to get some things fixed here and there...
With everything in relatively great condition, with trailer, rebuilt engine because of the blown head, and the cover, jackets, tube, all of that...do you think for it 9000 is worth it...
The sx240ho is a bit out of my price range...
ALSO HE SAID THE OIL LINES WERE REPLACVED ALSO AND THAT HE REPLACES THEM AND THEY SHOULD BE REPLACED EVERY YEAR....
DO YOU KNOW THE GAS/OIL RATION IN THESE 2 STROKES?

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
ALSO HE SAID HE REPLACED THE LINES AND THE ENGINE REBUILD BECAUSE THE LINES ARE WHAT CAUSEED TH ENGINE TO BLOW THE HEAD!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The oil lines are a common cause of failure. But wouldn't oil starvation cause more piston and cylinder damage than head damage?

Joe S

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@Bruce
TO BE HONEST WITH YOU IM NOT SO SURE HE REALLY KNOWS WHAT EXCATLY HAOPOENED HE JUST KNOWS THAT THE ENGINE NEEDED REBUYILT AND HE HAS THE RECIEPTS FOR IT ALL SO I BELIEVE HIM...
DOESNT SEEM HE KNOWS MUCH BUT DOESNT SEEM THAT HE IS RIPPING ME OFF EITHER....
AND IT COMES WITH EVERYTHING FOR THE BOAT HE HAD ALSO INCLUDING TUBE,ANCHOR,BUOYS,JACKETS, ETC ETC ETC ROPES AND ALL...