• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha LS2000. No engines.

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am new to the forum, and am happy to be here. Collective wisdom/information is a great tool for understanding the machines we own and operate.
Having searched for a year for a LS2000, I located one locally, hooked to it and brought it home. $500.
It came with what I believe to be two gp760 engines, without exhaust systems.
I want to install the original engine models, which I believe to be gp1200’s.
Where in the world will I find two complete engines? I am going to look for two jet skis, hoping that Yamaha designed them to be interchangeable for the most part.
I love the LS2000, as it is my understanding that Yamaha had this hull professionally designed.
I am retired and I wanted a project to keep me busy.
Would you guys be willing to put yourself in my shoes and offer your suggestions on what you would do?
I appreciate your time and your assistance with my poorly thought out purchase, it was an impulse buy, but helpful to the seller.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the LS hull as well... TR-1's would be a great choice, they should require minimum mods, and there are TONS of them around from Rental Skis, the 1200's are lightswitch engines fun but a narrow power range (think 4-6 MPH or 30-50+MPH)... the 1200 and 1300 Power Valve engines are better and the GPR1300NPV is an animal as well however the two strokes are a casual use powerplants with a 200-400 Hour TBO and the parts are starting to dry up... the LS2000 has a short engine bay and needs to be stretched 8-9" to fit MR-1 family engines... the benefit of the stretch is the ability to go to the 1.8 family and keep the 155mm HO pumps.

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Can I assume that the power valve engine will offer a broader power band?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes... i have programed, using a dynojet dynamometer, aftermarket YPVS controllers for my old yamaha V4 half liter race bike...

106382466041586.jpg106382469374919.jpg

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That is one sweet little 500, it’s got the Kenny Roberts thing going on

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have located a 2002 FX140 locally, “engine needs work”. $1200
My first concern is about the engine controls/information system.
I will check the threads
Now I just need to find one more

It looks like I will be diving head first into the ”R” world 😁

Last edited:

Fastjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I have located a 2002 FX140 locally, “engine needs work”. $1200
My first concern is about the engine controls/information system.
I will check the threads
Now I just need to find one more

It looks like I will be diving head first into the ”R” world 😁
whole lotta work for sure even with some original motors what’s the shape of rest of the boat sounds like you went way deeper than I did lol

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
LOL, it’s gonna be a lot of work/fun.
I am stripping the boat down to the bare hull, with the exception of the steering wheel/cables. So, a blank canvas if you will.
Weighing the pros and cons of four stroke two stroke engines.
The hull is in good shape, maybe a little bondo here and there.
I just retired so I gotta find something to keep me out of trouble

Fastjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
LOL, it’s gonna be a lot of work/fun.
I am stripping the boat down to the bare hull, with the exception of the steering wheel/cables. So, a blank canvas if you will.
Weighing the pros and cons of four stroke two stroke engines.
The hull is in good shape, maybe a little bondo here and there.
I just retired so I gotta find something to keep me out of trouble
Gotcha and with the price of parts now days
Mines got two good motors I think lol everything I dug into is bad figured for cpl grand for a boat that cost 15 17 gs couldn’t go wrong a work in progress good luck man

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I would like to ask the group for their opinion about my idea concerning power for my LS2000.
Construct a ”well” and drop in an outboard!
Where do I cut the hole in the bottom of the boat?
Tohatsu MFS60, 50in total heigh, 213 lbs
115 inline four is close to 400lbs but it would scream

If I were to get a jet outboard I could still stay on this forum!

How fast would a 60HP push the boat?

Last edited:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
figure at top speed prop is ~25-30% more efficient than jet and jet will come out of the hole a ton faster so ignoring a ton of details 270 x .70 = 189
so a 175-200 hp outboard would give slower but similar performance... If i were gonna do that I would build an engine mount/platform on the transom and set the engine back... if you want fast keeping the weight rearward is the trick (keeping as much hull outta the water as possible... and ignoring potential stability issues...)

here's a data point for ya 23' Carolina skiff with a 175 merc flat out calm day kept up with my LS/LX/AR210 270 up to about 45 on the GPS then I throttled up and walked away with the GPS topping out a 54... with the bimini up LOL

PS if i were gonna do an outboard conversion id look for a pair of 130 HP V4 yamaha 2 stroke outboards mount them on a extension with some jack plates and call it a day move the fuel to the engine bay and have at it... with out doing the mental math maybe 2x 150 HP HPDIs would work but likely they would go on the transom and not move the fuel due to weight..

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks for your reply sir,

I just assumed hanging the outboard off the back (which would definitely be the easiest way), would screw up the weight and balance
a large engine will weigh a lot.
I didn’t provide enough information in my question, I would be happy with a 45mph boat

Yamaha V4 two strokes are very good engines and would be my first choice buying used

Last edited:

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
84rvz500r
if you are a pilot check out my first love @ the “Ultralight Airplane Workshop”. The UWS-4 ultralight, still in the design phase, I will be building one as soon as the design is ready

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive had 9 people sitting on the back of my boat, 3 people on the swim platform, 3 people on the deck and 3 on the engine hatch and it put the swim platform about 1" under water... its usually 3" out of the water to the top

someplace I have a aircraft style weight and balance spreadsheet that i did for my repower... if you were really interested i can dig it up...

if you stick with two strokes the difference net weight is minor in my case the 4 stokes were OOO 40 lbs heavier each but I diched the 4x group 29 batteries for a few LiFePO4's and lost 200 lbs... i also went form 40 gallon tank to 68 gallon tank in the ski locker so i have a bit more fuel weight a bit further forward.... vastly improve ride...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah I owned and flew a 182 cessna for 20+ years... got my PPSEL in 1976

Welder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am converting my ls2000 to outboard power, if anyone needs the related jet parts let me know

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am converting my ls2000 to outboard power, if anyone needs the related jet parts let me know
Document your journey, I would love to see that, very cool!