• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha LS2000 running and steering

firstuser2022

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
We purchased this Yamaha LS2000 took it out on the water right motor turned over and ran, left did not but did run out of water. Seller told us needed carbs cleaned out. We continue to run the boat noticing steering was extremely stiff nearly impossible to steering even while giving throttle.
even though right motor ran it would not go very fast just high rpm’s but never actually just took off.
Get this knuckle head mechanic to meet us at the water he “checks compression” (by removing all spark plugs connects gauge and has us crank over and every plug read 62psi) immediately he says blown top end of both engines. The left engine started up but oil kept coming out of exhaust (so we think). So he tells us 4k to do repairs found kit for $433 and the labor cost. Now my question is what can I do or have done by another mechanic to configure what is going on are both motors blown, seller stated they had boat out weekend before and ran perfectly good, any suggestions on motors and steering?

Well, let's start with the easy part: the seller is full of it.

Now, then. The steering is probably corrosion in the steering cable. To find out for sure, disconnect the bucket on the jet at the back of the boat from the cable (not sure on this year, but later years have a little spring-loaded collar you can pull back and pop it right off). See if the bucket moves up and down freely. And then see if the steering is still all bound up. If both those things are true, then replace the cable. Very do-it-yourself-able (again, on later years--can't imagine it is too bad on the 2000).

As to the engines: yes, I think 62 psi compression on each cylinder is not good. Should be in the 110-130 range. So that is why he says the top is blown. I guess the oil out of the exhaust could be from that.... incomplete combustion from low pressure would mean leftover oil goes out the exhaust. Not sure what the going rate is for a top end rebuild, so hard to say if the $4k is good or no (maybe someone here can tell). Can you do it yourself? Well, yes... But that is a big job. There is a reason why it is $500 in parts and $3500 in labor. How good are you with engines? If you are someone who has never changed oil, I would not undertake a top end rebuild as my first foray into boat repair. But if you have done carbs and plugs and replaced a car water pump and such, it will take some research, planning and a lot of time, but it can be done.

Thank you, I will do the steering suggestion. I’ll get another opinion for the engines and update on what was said.

We purchased this Yamaha LS2000 took it out on the water right motor turned over and ran, left did not but did run out of water. Seller told us needed carbs cleaned out. We continue to run the boat noticing steering was extremely stiff nearly impossible to steering even while giving throttle.
even though right motor ran it would not go very fast just high rpm’s but never actually just took off.
Get this knuckle head mechanic to meet us at the water he “checks compression” (by removing all spark plugs connects gauge and has us crank over and every plug read 62psi) immediately he says blown top end of both engines. The left engine started up but oil kept coming out of exhaust (so we think). So he tells us 4k to do repairs found kit for $433 and the labor cost. Now my question is what can I do or have done by another mechanic to configure what is going on are both motors blown, seller stated they had boat out weekend before and ran perfectly good, any suggestions on motors and steering?
An engine that will run on the trailer with no load but not in the water is likely a carburetor problem. Also the boat should not be driven above no wake speed with an engine not running it can cause the dead engine to fill with water. Stiff steering is likely a cable it has two cables running from the steering wheel one for each engine you will have to unhook the cables to figure out what part of the steering is binding. If all six cylinders are showing 62 psi on a compression test I would find anouther gauge to test with the engines should be in the 110-130 range. Lots of information on your boat can be found in the model specific fourm in jetboaters.net. https://jetboaters.net/forums/yamaha-lx210-lx2000-and-ls2000.32/ and also here Yamaha Jet Boaters • Login

A 2 stroke engine needs 80 p s i minimum to even run and all 4 being the same is damn near impossible. Probably has old stale fuel

also dont forget to hold the throttles wide open when running a compression test or it will take forever to build a low reading..

Back