• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha noise

LzSally

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have read or been told that the new Yamaha's are quieter. Seems important to me as one complaint I have heard is that jets are very loud. If true what year did Yamaha make this improvement. thanks

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have read or been told that the new Yamaha's are quieter. Seems important to me as one complaint I have heard is that jets are very loud. If true what year did Yamaha make this improvement. thanks
I think the 24's got this is '16 or '17. The 19's just now got it.....I think.

I had a '98 4cyl I/O and moved to a '17 Jet......The noise is about the same volume/intensity as the last boat. The frequency is much higher. It's a high revving small displacement 4cyl. The other was a low revving large displacement 4cyl. This is more of a "WHHHHAAAAA" at speed, the last was more of a "BBBUUUUUUUUURRRRRRR" at speed. Again, volume was the same-ish. Needed about 1/2-2/3 volume on the stereo in each to overcome the engine. Having a conversation on plane wasn't really easy in either.

Not worse, just different.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My previous boat was a 1987 21 foot Four Winns with a 350 V8. I do believe that my 2016 242 is a slight bit quieter, certainly no louder. it is, however, a different sound because of the higher RPM. Whereas my old boat cruised at about 3500, this boat cruises at around 5200 RPM. I have no complaints.

Last edited:

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They are loud at low speed for sure. We have a 2015 SX210 and had sound proofing insulation added into the engine compartment installed from dealer and it helped the noise a lot. The 24’rs already had this as standard I believe 2015 or 2016 until now. They are much quieter.

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
People warned me about this, but I’ve only ever had V8 I/O’s or inboards previously and I don’t find it any louder than those. The real difference is the fact that the jets run at a higher RPM, so it’s just more intense. I personally love the sound of these boats. I missed the V8 rumble for a while, but now I love the sound.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have heard is that jets are very loud.
Do you know what type of "jet" boats they were speaking of, all yamaha's are quieter than the old style "go fast" big block jet boats of the 70-80's

The current boats changed to 1.8l engines in about 2010 and they don't use as high an RPM as the older MR1 engines so that can change the pitch also,

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My ‘13 AR190 sounds like you’re driving a big jet ski, but my ‘15 242 make a wurring noise like a spaceship and is much quieter.

Having both makes me really appreciate the noise reduction, and the two engines operating in unison reminds me of a turboprop airplane.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t speak to anything other than the 24’s, but 2015 is when they introduced the “quiet cruise technology” in those boats.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
“quiet cruise technology”
The engine hatch cover soundproofing foam that everyone notices is one thing, and it sure helps, but it is the breaking up of the large/cavernous resonating stern compartments in the new 2015+ 240 hulls that made the biggest difference IMO, likethe wet compartments in the back, there is significantly less resonating NVH.

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Boat Test has the data you're likely looking for:
2019 Yamaha 242x: 5,000rpm, 24mph, 72dBa. 5,500rpm, 32mph, 76dBa
2019 Yamaha 212Limited: 5,000rpm, 26mph, 85dBa. 5,500rpm, 30mph, 85dBa
2014- Tahoe Q7i (21foot): 2,500rpm, 24mph, 89dBa. 3,000rpm, 32mph, 90dBa
2016- Sea Ray SPX210 (21 foot): 3,000rpm, 27mph, 82dBa. 3,500rpm, 33mph, 86dBa

As others have said, the pitch of the Yahaha's is higher than the traditional stern drive. We also know that Boat Test tests can be relatively subjective, but they don't have any reason to alter these type of results.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat Test has the data you're likely looking for:
2019 Yamaha 242x: 5,000rpm, 24mph, 72dBa. 5,500rpm, 32mph, 76dBa
2019 Yamaha 212Limited: 5,000rpm, 26mph, 85dBa. 5,500rpm, 30mph, 85dBa
2014- Tahoe Q7i (21foot): 2,500rpm, 24mph, 89dBa. 3,000rpm, 32mph, 90dBa
2016- Sea Ray SPX210 (21 foot): 3,000rpm, 27mph, 82dBa. 3,500rpm, 33mph, 86dBa

As others have said, the pitch of the Yahaha's is higher than the traditional stern drive. We also know that Boat Test tests can be relatively subjective, but they don't have any reason to alter these type of results.
boattest reviews are about as inaccurate and grossly partial as they get, unfortunately.
SeaRay twice as loud as a Yamaha jet boat???? lol
(10dBA corresponds to approximately two fold difference in perceived loudness)
That's just silly.

The new Yamaha 240/242s are as loud as any loud i/o. They are not bad, but still far from SeaRay territory.
The older Yamahas are stupid loud.
My 2012 SX190 was so loud it actually made me chuckle during test ride. It was... unbeliveable.

--

LzSally

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think the 24's got this is '16 or '17. The 19's just now got it.....I think.

I had a '98 4cyl I/O and moved to a '17 Jet......The noise is about the same volume/intensity as the last boat. The frequency is much higher. It's a high revving small displacement 4cyl. The other was a low revving large displacement 4cyl. This is more of a "WHHHHAAAAA" at speed, the last was more of a "BBBUUUUUUUUURRRRRRR" at speed. Again, volume was the same-ish. Needed about 1/2-2/3 volume on the stereo in each to overcome the engine. Having a conversation on plane wasn't really easy in either.

Not worse, just different.
thanks, makes sense....

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has boattest ever been anything other than advertising tool? The most critical thing I've ever heard them say in a review is I'd like to have seen a grab handle here.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Didn't I come across a thread where people were discussing the addition of sound deadening material? I know I saw someone encase their entire engine compartment with it and it did make a difference. Also, someone ran it up the storage under the gunnels.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn't I come across a thread where people were discussing the addition of sound deadening material? I know I saw someone encase their entire engine compartment with it and it did make a difference. Also, someone ran it up the storage under the gunnels.
Engine hatch seal (if not present from factory) would be the first order of business. After that there are many things you can do, in my experience filling in the large spaces in and around the stern helps most to contain the NVH issues.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Engine hatch seal (if not present from factory) would be the first order of business. After that there are many things you can do, in my experience filling in the large spaces in and around the stern helps most to contain the NVH issues.

BTW, when the @swatski speaks, we experienced jetboaters, listen (and take notes). (think, "EF Hutton...")

JRobChicago

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Soon to be first-time boat owner. Close to pulling the trigger on a 2015 SX190. My only concern is the noise level I have read about. Any difference from 2015 SX190 to 2016 or newer? I have never been on a Yamaha (live in midwest so test drive right now is not possible) and worried about noise with limited ability to test before. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boats that have been given the "quiet cruise technology" seem to be markedly quieter than the previous boats. I don't know when that went into effect (if ever) on the 190. I know that my 2011 SX210 most certainly did not have it and the boat was just plain loud at anything other than idle. It was considerably louder than any I/O or inboard I've ever been on or owned. There was no way to have a reasonable conversation at anything over about 20 mph. We coped by installing an amplifier and just cranking the tunes! That said, we "got used to it" and I didn't really think much about it when out boating after a while. If you want a boat on which you can have a conversation while cruising, definitely be sure you're looking at one that is after the noise reduction processes were put in place.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JRobChicago dont get worried about the noise, it will only be apparent at WOT and when you’re doing ~40mph across the water you won’t care about it at all.

To be honest, the majority of you're time in the boat will likely be at anchor or just floating, and the noise certainly won’t matter then :)

There is nothing wrong with a 190.