• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha SX 195 From 40 MPH To 30 MPH ????

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've see estimates that the SX195 should be capable of nearly 50MPH but ...
Bought the boat last year and the first run was clearly around the 40 MPH mark.
Never have seen anything even close to that since.
Just put her back in the water - dry as a bone inside - not much on board - two people --- 30MPH is about as good as it gets.
Where did that 10 MPH go let alone a possible 20?
Thanks

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is you hull dirty? Any cavitation? I don't have a 195 but in perfect conditions I thought they hit the 50 mark or at least high 40's

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a 2019 AR195. My average WOT was between 45-48, depending on conditions. I did hit 50 once or twice, but it was not often (and I think there was a tailwind one time). So I would not worry about hitting "50" in the new hull style boats (post 2019). However, you should get more than 40 and really 45.

I second the comments above - is your hull dirty or is the pump cavitating? Other possible culprits include a loose / non-sealed clean out plug, damaged impeller or something caught in impeller tunnel, dirty spark plugs, clogged air filter, or kinked hoses on the supercharger.

In the meantime, try and record both your speed and RPM which will help us identify what's going on. For example, for this boat your RPM's at WOT should be around 7400-7600. One data point I had last year was 47mph at 7450 RPM (one person in boat, 3/4 fuel tank). For other data points, see the chart in this article here: https://www.boatingmag.com/yamaha-ar195-boat-test/

Lastly - the speed indicator on the Connext can be suspect and react slowly, so I also recommend you find a GPS speed app for your phone. There are many free ones and this will provide you independent confirmation of the speed.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the N/A 190 and it will do 43-45 and I wanna say the rpms range 7600 -7800.
Top speed of 30 mph is a big loss. What RPM were you pulling at your top speed?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Has the oil been changed recently, possibly overfill. My $ would be on the SC clutch. Mine is a 2018 but I can hit 50 or a little over with 2 people in boat and gear. I am in Indiana so no elevation

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone.
I'll let you know what I find.
First I needed to confirm I should expect more.
Weird part is it was literally the first run ever when she hit the 40's and never ever seen it again since.
So I kind of forgot about it.

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hull is clean - power washed just a few weeks ago.
Nothing caught in impeller clean out.
Oil level is spot on.
Wake and jet patterns look good and it does get up on plane.
Engine starts up easily and sounds good.
I have a service call in with the dealer.

If the boat was rated for top speed of 32MPH I'd be happy as could be!

One other thing - does 2.3 avg. MPG sound a bit low?
Maybe it is a fuel starvation problem?

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK
Had the authorized Yamaha service call this morning.
After much testing, diagnostic computer stuff, a few runs on the lake and some general trouble shooting the call went in to Yamaha USA.
After some further back and forth - the answer is: GPS error with the boat showing about 10 MPH below actual speed.
So good news is that there is actually nothing wrong with the boat at all = a very good thing.
Now the important take away here is this: Straight from Yamaha USA technical mechanics at headquarters, "Yamaha makes no claims on expected top speeds. The general, ball park, expectation from them on what a SX195 should top out at would be about 40 +/- 5."
So those seeing consistent speeds of >45 you probably have the reverse GPS problem with it reading 10 high instead of low.
So if your SX195 is running at about 40MPH be happy and enjoy it, that is what she is built for.
As always thanks for the feedback.
I'll let you know what, if anything, Yamaha plans on doing about the faulty GPS numbers.
John

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey, run it with your phone GPS speedometer next time to confirm their findings. Big difference from 30 to 40. really weird. Hopefully easy fix as they say.

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, that is exactly what we did.
Phone GPS speedo app had us at 44 while the boat speedo had us at 32.
It is almost like the boat speedo is broken/stuck and can't read over 32 MPH.
Crazy calm morning, empty lake, light breeze, did a few "speed test runs" of about a mile each way.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's really cool, better the speedo than the boat!!!!

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Is the speedo GPS? Do you have the little wheel in the back on the bottom of the boat? My 2020 195s has the wheel. Which tells me it is not GPS. If it is, what is the wheel for?

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As he explained it to me it can be one or the other or both and somewhere in there is the transducer?
He's checking out the serial number build list and getting back to me.
To be honest - I don't really care - as long as it is performing like it should - not like you get a speeding ticket on the lake.
If it needs to be pulled out of the water to fix it I'll probably just wait until fall when I pull it out.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a 2022 SX195 and my max speed was 51.2 on the digital screen with the top down, 2 people and a full tank of fuel on the Alafia River with all the right conditions. Average cruising speed is about 32mph and average top speed is roughly 45-48mph.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Don't ever believe the spinning wheel to tell you the real speed. GPS is the only way to go. Since I've installed my GPS/Fish finder I don't ever look at the OEM display other than fuel consumption and such.