• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

YES Warranty parts and repair delays

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First let me say that I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread so if not, please advise and I'll do it better in the future. We have a 2021 AR210, twin TR1 engines and have had multiple issues with it. Just gonna mention that I've been waiting over 14 months to get a new touchscreen and there seems to be no end in sight to that happening.

More importantly, on startup about 8 weeks ago I heard a significant knocking sound and immediately cut that engine (Portside) down. Took it to my local dealer Rocket Star Powersports (formerly Barney's Yamaha) in St. Pete, FL. They said my Port side water pump had a gasket leak and then a few days later say that the bearings went bad in it, then later advised that the impeller shaft/blade got damaged and so on. They advised that there would be a delay in getting the parts to do the repair and also said it likely wouldn't be covered by warranty but I read the YES warranty and it is covered. Upon confronting the dealer's Service Manager about it he said they were trying to get it covered by Yamaha. Then a week or 2 later they advised that Yamaha required pictures of the damages to evaluate it. Now they say that Yamaha wants them to tear down the entire engine and send in more info/pictures to determine if another factor may have caused the water pump/shaft/impeller damages to further determine if it's a warranty covered issue. So, its been nearly 7 weeks in the shop with no end in sight. On top of that, the bill so far is nearly $1700.00 and if not covered by Yamaha, that's out of my pocket. Should they tear down the engine and it's decided by Yamaha that it's not covered I'm looking at about $15,000 in costs. Not my first go round with delays in getting parts and service.

SO....long story longer, I have a gut feeling that Yamaha is purposely delaying the evaluation to find a way to not cover the repairs. If that is wrong, then they just suck with getting parts to the dealer and committing to do what the YES warranty is for. Case in point the touch screen that has been on backorder for 14 months, still no ETA on that part.

I am interested in finding out if others have had these kinds of delays with repairs, getting parts, etc. I've wondering if Yamaha is up to doing what they promise in the YES warranty, doing their job and keeping their commitment to owners by providing the service they imply when the dealers are selling the warranty or if they simply don't care enough. Would welcome any help or advice from other owners.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My Connext display that is being replaced under warranty has been on order since October 2023 - no ETA as of yet.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First let me say that I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread so if not, please advise and I'll do it better in the future. We have a 2021 AR210, twin TR1 engines and have had multiple issues with it. Just gonna mention that I've been waiting over 14 months to get a new touchscreen and there seems to be no end in sight to that happening.

More importantly, on startup about 8 weeks ago I heard a significant knocking sound and immediately cut that engine (Portside) down. Took it to my local dealer Rocket Star Powersports (formerly Barney's Yamaha) in St. Pete, FL. They said my Port side water pump had a gasket leak and then a few days later say that the bearings went bad in it, then later advised that the impeller shaft/blade got damaged and so on. They advised that there would be a delay in getting the parts to do the repair and also said it likely wouldn't be covered by warranty but I read the YES warranty and it is covered. Upon confronting the dealer's Service Manager about it he said they were trying to get it covered by Yamaha. Then a week or 2 later they advised that Yamaha required pictures of the damages to evaluate it. Now they say that Yamaha wants them to tear down the entire engine and send in more info/pictures to determine if another factor may have caused the water pump/shaft/impeller damages to further determine if it's a warranty covered issue. So, its been nearly 7 weeks in the shop with no end in sight. On top of that, the bill so far is nearly $1700.00 and if not covered by Yamaha, that's out of my pocket. Should they tear down the engine and it's decided by Yamaha that it's not covered I'm looking at about $15,000 in costs. Not my first go round with delays in getting parts and service.

SO....long story longer, I have a gut feeling that Yamaha is purposely delaying the evaluation to find a way to not cover the repairs. If that is wrong, then they just suck with getting parts to the dealer and committing to do what the YES warranty is for. Case in point the touch screen that has been on backorder for 14 months, still no ETA on that part.

I am interested in finding out if others have had these kinds of delays with repairs, getting parts, etc. I've wondering if Yamaha is up to doing what they promise in the YES warranty, doing their job and keeping their commitment to owners by providing the service they imply when the dealers are selling the warranty or if they simply don't care enough. Would welcome any help or advice from other owners.
Its not the first time I have heard of this type of thing although I have also seen many whom had no issues. Hang in there. You can always raise some hell with Yamaha Corporate and see if that gets you anywhere, It has for some people.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have had good luck contacting yamaha corporate, I don't think I will be taking my machine back to rockstar I had better luck at cycle springs even though it is a bit more of a hike for me. I had rockstar tell me that yamaha wouldn't cover certain things so I contacted yamaha corporate to find out they never put in a repair request. I called them out on it and told them that yamaha indeed would cover my issues if they put in the request. They did and lone behold yamaha covered it. Also rockstar seems to have an issue with water testing, they want you to pay them to do it all the time or have yamaha cover it. When I took my boat to cycle springs they had no problem doing water tests and never brought up me having to pay for it.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had a 2020 sx210 that started to develop problems with the screen. The touch buttons just wouldn’t work anymore. It wasn’t responsive. Like everyone else, this 4.3 screen was on back order for my model. A friend of mine had a 19 ft FSH that started developing screen issues, so he quickly ordered one because it was available for his model. Well, his screen issues went away and he didn’t return the screen in time. Then he sold the boat, but forgot to give the new owner the screen as a back up so it ended up in my hands.

of course it didn’t work plugging it into my boat because it had different functionality and one engine instead of two, etc. However, after researching the maker and more about these screens, I learned that these screens, the hardware, is the same hardware that they put in many many different types of vehicles, including tractors, construction equipment etc. etc. The difference being a different operating system and during functionality, depending on what the manufacturer wants the screen to do. I asked my dealer since the hardware is the same would it be possible to just upload the 210 software operating system onto the hardware that I had. He claimed that he thought it would work but he would have to charge me for two hours of time, and he couldn’t guarantee the work because they didn’t normally do that. I let it slide at the time because I didn’t really want to pay for that work and not really have any guarantee about it working or not. Plus, the screens were supposed to become available around December based based on the information and both my dealer and on parts websites. Come December they were delayed indefinitely again. A couple months later I ended up buying a new boat anyway but I still wonder if there was a way to get to work if you could find a 4.3 screen for a different boat and change the OS on it , maybe somebody with more experience with computers and operating systems on these types of devices would have better luck. my extra four. The extra screen was part of the deal for my boat. If I take it in there for maintenance I’ll have to ask them if they did end up reprogramming it.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the downside to any warranty. I'm sure there are folks that are tickled pink with their warranty, and this may work out for you.

TPABoatGrl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also waiting on a Connext screen through Rockstar…since March 2023.

El Burro Verde

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I’m sorry to have about these issues. I really think a lot of it has to do with your dealer. I’ve had a great experience using my warranty so far. First season I had about 15 small issues covered under warranty and the second season there was about 8 covered. Everything I brought to the dealer was covered. These included small things like loose cleats and grab rails but also bigger things like gel coat issues, anchor locker lid replacement, decal replacements, drain plug replacement and upholstery issues. Yamaha covered them all. The only long delay has been one decal. It’s been in back order for over a year lol.

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: It’s now 4/2/24 and no repair in sight. Over 10 days ago corporate asked for pictures of the crankcase and other internal parts which the dealer sent to them on 3/22/24. As of today, they finally got a response back from corporate stating they want even more pictures. NO OTHER INFO FROM CORPORATE! It took them nearly 2 weeks to simply look at the pic’s to come back with this ridiculous request. The dealer’s service manager advised me that his technician who has been doing the work on this engine tells him there is no internal damage other than the original identified problems with the seal on the water pump, damage to some bearings in the pump and the shaft/impeller have some damage that they clearly see was not due to mis-use or abuse on anyone’s part. They have had the boat in the shop for over 11 weeks now, meanwhile I’m still paying boat payments, marina fees and insurance on the boat that I can’t use.

It's been in the dealership for repair for over 2 months awaiting the dealer and corporate to come to a decision on what is damaged and if it's covered. The dealership Service Manager states it is covered but corporate is having them perform multiple steps, including tearing down the entire cranckcase, sending pictures of the engine and its internal parts which has been done now twice and now corporate is asking for more pictures of the internal parts that the Service Manager's Technician states there is no damage. This all started with a seal on the water pump being defective damaging some internal parts of the jet pump....not the cranckcase or other internal parts. They've have the boat in their shop for nearly 12 weeks and there seems to be no end in sight to having it repaired. Additionally, the Service Manager has repeatedly advised me that they will likely have difficulty obtaining the parts that will be needed for repair. Not being new to doing business, I’m feeling that corporate is trying to justify not doing the repairs under warranty. Additionally they haven’t advise if they would cover all the teardown and reassembly. Simply advised that if they determine it’s now covered under warranty I’ll have to pay for all the teardown and diagnostics and reassembly.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm so sorry to hear. At some point you may want to evaluate if it's truly worthwhile to continue to pursue this. In some cases warranties are worth the paper they are printed on, and no more. Repair costs endless weeks of lost use is borderline ridiculous for "value" of the warranty even at zero cost..

Tearing down the engine seems a very bad call without additional diagnostics while all was assembled. that is quite strange. Were the other detected issues?

BOAT stands for bring out another thousand. Pump rebuild and impeller might have run at just that early on. Getting lawyers involved for what will seem to them a small amount is generally painful, costly and slow as molasses. Sorry you are having these challenges. Perhaps pressuring the dealer a bit more on what and why they are doing what they are doing would reveal more info. If it was me, in hindsight, if the engine ran well without the pump, you can just address the pump rebuild, bolt it back on, and carry on. There are aftermarket parts but for pump rebuild the OEM bearings are generally very high quality and generally available., and it is rare they fail this early. Maybe water intrusion into the cone? any other insight the dealer could provide?

Yamaha online part houses tend to discount heavily off list prices (10-30% in some cases off list price) Maybe as good will the dealer could offer something given the situation?

Best of Luck!

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never in my life considered litigation to resolve an issue, however considering all the hassle and delays I'm experiencing and hearing from other local and distant Yamaha jet boat owners about their delays and hassles in getting needed parts and getting timely repairs I'm thinking that if enough owners feel that Yamaha hasn't lived up to their promise then perhaps a class action suit might be called for. I'm not soliciting anything here, just sharing my thinking/frustration and looking to see if this problem with getting parts under warranty or otherwise and getting timely repairs is pervasive then maybe Yamaha needs a wakeup call.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never in my life considered litigation to resolve an issue, however considering all the hassle and delays I'm experiencing and hearing from other local and distant Yamaha jet boat owners about their delays and hassles in getting needed parts and getting timely repairs I'm thinking that if enough owners feel that Yamaha hasn't lived up to their promise then perhaps a class action suit might be called for. I'm not soliciting anything here, just sharing my thinking/frustration and looking to see if this problem with getting parts under warranty or otherwise and getting timely repairs is pervasive then maybe Yamaha needs a wakeup call.
If it was me, I would already have my attorney on it and they would be served. This isn't a bad canteloupe or undercooked meal. It is a very expensive boat and your issues as well as your loss of enjoyment is worth something. They would put their ass in gear I bet if they were served. They will crunch the numbers and figure it is cheaper to just resolve what you need.

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Connext display that is being replaced under warranty has been on order since October 2023 - no ETA as of yet.
My screen back order dates to Feb 2023...14 months and no ETA either.

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it was me, I would already have my attorney on it and they would be served. This isn't a bad canteloupe or undercooked meal. It is a very expensive boat and your issues as well as your loss of enjoyment is worth something. They would put their ass in gear I bet if they were served. They will crunch the numbers and figure it is cheaper to just resolve what you need.
I've call a few attorneys and so far none want to take on this type of "Consumer Protection" case. Curiously all that I've called advertise as just that type of attorney, but if it's not personal injury related they don't do this type of case. Hence my thinking that if this is/has been a pervasive problem with Yamaha Corporate then a class action my be justified. I can only imagine the number of owners that have had their boat held hostage for weeks or months awaiting warranty coverage.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Class action is tough. A lot involved and the payday usually needs to be pretty substantial.

Perhaps, finding an attorney that would write a letter or get in touch with them for a nominal fee indicating the sitiation and demanding a resolution may all that is needed. I have had mine do that more than once, and it is amazing how fast things can clear up.

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its not the first time I have heard of this type of thing although I have also seen many whom had no issues. Hang in there. You can always raise some hell with Yamaha Corporate and see if that gets you anywhere, It has for some people.
Been on the phone with Yamaha Corp. multiple times over the past 4-5 weeks....the cust svc reps seem to care but that doesn't produce any results. Of course you (an owner) cannot speak directly with the "Warranty Technical Services Advisor" that oversees your concern. Even the service manager at RockStar, John, can rarely ever get that person on the phone, he has to do all contact via internal email, which could take the "Advisor" several days to respond to. Can you tell that I'm FRUSTRATED...just a little maybe.

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Class action is tough. A lot involved and the payday usually needs to be pretty substantial.

Perhaps, finding an attorney that would write a letter or get in touch with them for a nominal fee indicating the sitiation and demanding a resolution may all that is needed. I have had mine do that more than once, and it is amazing how fast things can clear up.
I don't care about a payday, I want Yamaha to do a better job!

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been on the phone with Yamaha Corp. multiple times over the past 4-5 weeks....the cust svc reps seem to care but that doesn't produce any results. Of course you (an owner) cannot speak directly with the "Warranty Technical Services Advisor" that oversees your concern. Even the service manager at RockStar, John, can rarely ever get that person on the phone, he has to do all contact via internal email, which could take the "Advisor" several days to respond to. Can you tell that I'm FRUSTRATED...just a little maybe.
As of today, I've mailed a complaint letter to Yamaha Corp, filed a complaint with the BBB and also with the state dept of consumer affairs. Hoping that gets some traction soon.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't care about a payday, I want Yamaha to do a better job!
I would care about getting it fixed as well as what it costed me in lost time and aggravation. Since if something goes wrong again, you can be rest assured you may have to deal with it yourself.