• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yoder or Traeger?

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yoder all the way. Quality built and they also make serious competition smokers.
I've looked at them for years, but I'm happy with my kamado grill (saffire), even though it's a little more work than smoking with a pellet grill.
Are you looking at the ys640? The pro is beautiful, but a little pricy.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yoder make a good smoker. At this price, I'd consider the MAK 2 also. They all smoke, differences are the grilling.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yoder is my 1st choice but I got a steal of a deal on a GMG. If I went with a traeger it would be the timberline 1300

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Rec tec? Very Nice smokers/grills gave up on all due to time just use electric so simple and great results Use handful or 2 of chips that’s it. Better bark with pellets than electric.

Bearsar240

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking at the ys640. Seems like Yoder uses the best materials. I read about Rec Tec and from my understanding since they went China the quality went down? Trager obviously built a name for themselves but I feel like they could use better metals for the price. It seems to me your paying for their technology? I use electric now but being in Wisconsin it's hard to use in colder weather. I was hoping the pellet would help keep temp in lower ambient temps.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When it is cold out in NY I start with cold meat and smoke for a few hours then when it gets to 80 or 100 degrees it does not take on any more smoke flavor I pull it out and finish in the oven. I don’t want to burn down your house but a moving blanket over the electric smoker helps.
If You can go to a bbq championship and lay your hands on some it would help make your choice. There is displays set up at competitions I have gone to. Yoder I have not used but I don’t think I have ever heard a bad thing about them. Traeger... work but is not in the same class. If you like Yoder buy it, I find if I do not get what I want I go back in a few years and buy in then so it is spending the money twice. GMG has cold weather covers but not in same class as Yoder either.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm looking at the ys640. Seems like Yoder uses the best materials. I read about Rec Tec and from my understanding since they went China the quality went down? Trager obviously built a name for themselves but I feel like they could use better metals for the price. It seems to me your paying for their technology? I use electric now but being in Wisconsin it's hard to use in colder weather. I was hoping the pellet would help keep temp in lower ambient temps.
I have this smoker. Great cooker and holds temp great. Way better than my older traeger that I used a welding blanket to cover in the winter. I would pass on the grill grates for steaks. I hardly use mine.

Mike99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking to upgrade, I'm leaning towards Yoder. Thoughts?
I own a YS640s and is absolutely awesome. I also own a GMG which is good but cannot compare to a Yoder.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you checked out the new masterbuilt 560 gravity series? Charcoal fed and automatic with temp controller. I’ve done 2 cooks so far and very happy with it. Cheap so if you don’t like it or it doesn’t last too long, no problem.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
neither! 110% get a pit boss. the patented open/direct flame char-broiler is a no brainer and game changer for a true all-in-one pellet grill.
I've converted about 10 friends and use mine a couple times a week at least.

only grill/smoker I own and my oven barely gets any use for the past 3 years.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone look at the new Weber Smokefire series as well? That looks interesting as well...

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Smoke fire has issues. Check youtube. DONT BUY ONE

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Look at a RecTec Bull 700 mostly stainless and ) year warranty. I have had a GMG and a Pitboss. RecTec is in a league of its own. Yoders are nice but if your grill has to ship with a can of touch up paint due to rust you might have a problem.

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have 2 Green Mountain Grills and they have been great. Came from a Traeger. GMG is built with a heavier steel that Traeger.

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had great success with my Traeger for what I do, but if I was to upgrade it would be GMG. I don't compete so I can't justify the money for a Yoder.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a Green Egg love to smoke with it, have a GMG for general quick cooking (and when my GreenEgg and Blackstone are at the lake for the summer, and last year I bought a blackstone grill. brings me back to my college days of working at a restaurant and that gets used several times a week. I'd buy them all again (maybe I'd go with off brand Green Egg??)

BigJ

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking to upgrade, I'm leaning towards Yoder. Thoughts?
check out the grill store in Germantown, The guys there are knowledgeable and very helpful. Havent pulled the trigger on a GMG yet... When I do I will definitely go there. And if you're lucky they will have something smoking!

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in the same boat and was leaning towards the yoder and then found a cook shack fast eddy. love it