• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

You want to borrow my boat? Say what!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have no problem lending my stand up jet ski or mountain bike - both things are intended to be abused. My friend crashed my mountain bike hard and it didnt bother me. The stand up jet ski is wildly reinforced for riding surf. Everything else, I have to be around to supervise them. Motorcycles are a hard no because someone crashed my harley years ago.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, that's an easy no. If he's upset about it, that's his problem, not yours. The list of people allowed to take my boat out without me on board is precisely 1, my wife - and I doubt she'd even want to do that.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That would be a huge no from me. I also have a new 2020 195S that I have not put into the water yet. I'm not sure that any damage would be covered by insurance if he were not listed on the policy. I work hard for what I own and don't make it a habit to lend out expensive items.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope. Especially if that’s how he “asked”, sounds more like a demand. If he would have said “hey I have a trip I’d like to go on, would you like to join me?” I still wouldn’t have let him take it alone, but it would be less dramatic.

I only trust one person with my boat and he has had it for almost 2 years, my brother.

a guy I worked with asked to borrow my enclosed trailer after a few weeks of knowing him, I let him because he wasn’t going out of town and it’s be quick. He showed up to my house in a Chevy Cavalier, I asked how he was going to tow it, he said “oh, I’ll need your truck too”. Nope, he left with nothing. If he would have just asked I would have had no problem at all just moving what he was moving for him for free. But showing up expecting me to hand him the keys to my truck was pretty ballsy.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would all depend on the situation. First question is how does he treat his own stuff? Does he take care of things or just beat the hell out of them because they are "toys"? Has he been going out on a boat for years with you? Do you typically let him run the boat if you guys are out? Does he know about the blowers, pissers, clean out ports and all of the other aspects of the boat? Does he seem confident and comfortable at the same time while underway? Has he helped you dock it or unload/load the boat on the trailer before? Has he pulled larger trailer loads before. Does he know the body of water well enough? What are his plans with the boat other than "needing it"? Skiing, wakeboarding, tubing or just cruising? How many people does he plan on taking out with him and who? All of these are valid questions you have to ask yourself. Seeing you are posting here I assume that you are uneasy lending your boat out. In my experiences I would have to pass on lending out unless all of the above questions are answered fully knowing that his capabilities are as good as yours while having possession of the boat.

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd have a talk with him to explain your feelings about it and that it's not personal.
If he doesn't get it, then get another friend.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless he is financially responsible for the boat....NOPE!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They would have had a better chance asking for my wife! Boats are not like cars, especially jet boats. They don't handle the same. Its an acquired feeling for driving.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If he is so inconsiderate that he would TEXT, not call, you that he needed to borrow, not asked to borrow you boat, should tell you something about him. I would not loan my boat out to anybody. I would NEVER ask to borrow anybody's boat, friend or family. NONE of my friends would ever have such gall as to ask to borrow my boat. But, if they did, not loaning would not have as much to do with not trusting, as is would to do with..."what if something happens?" Has he completed a boater safety course? What is his boating experience with the type of boat he is borrowing. Sure, you can say if anything happens he should pay for it. But what if it is a mechanical failure. How do you know if it was faulty equipment, or was it something he did. What if he gets caught in unexpected bad weather that damages your boat? This can happen to anybody. What if he has an accident and it is his fault? It is YOUR insurance and YOU will be the one the insurance company comes after. What if it isnt his fault? If the at fault boater has no insurance, is your friend expected to replace/repair your boat? There are many things that can happen, and it isnt really fair, nor is there a way to anticipate any possible event. If your friend is insulted and angered by your refusal: 1. He has NO idea what he is asking; 2. Since he has no idea what he is asking, I seriously doubt if he would accept responsibility if something happened; 3. He isnt much of a friend!

Last edited:

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
NOOOOOO!!!! The boat damage would be minimal compared to a Civil Lawsuit should an accident with another party occur, could bankrupt you, especially if alcohol is involved.....Just say'n.....

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have a brand new 2020 195s that I have exactly 3 hours on and my buddy texts me today, “I’m gonna need your boat for a week in June!” When I told him no he got mad and bailed on 2 boat trips we had planned and I already paid for! So here’s my question, would you lend your brand new boat to a friend? If it were a used under $10K boat I probably wouldn’t have batted an eye and said yes. I just have a hard time with a brand new $40K boat that is my baby. Am I overreacting?
I don’t like how he didn’t even ask. Sounds like he straight told you he was going to take it.
I’d let a family member borrow mine if they had experience and I was confident in them. Comes down to trust.
do you trust them to take care of it.
Do you trust them to “take care of it” if something did go wrong.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Judging by his reaction, you did the right thing.

I've got a close friend that I would trust with my life. He can take the boat and truck anytime he wants. A few select others would have access if they asked. All would get a days worth of training first. The vast majority of people I know would NOT have access to my boat with my attendance.

I'm an only child. It took me a LONG time to learn to trust and share. I've always been very conscious of my borrowing as well. Took a year for my close friend mentioned above to talk me into riding his spare Ducati. Once cleared, and he was sure he was OK with it, we've been riding together for years. I think I have more miles on it than he does at this point. I've been paying taxes/tags/maintenance on it for at least the last 6 yrs. If he called and asked for the boat, he'd have full access. He could take the truck too of he wanted. He'd most likely leave me his S6 to drive while he had it though.........these kinds of friends are few and far between. They also sure as shit don't get upset if you say no.
I've got a really close friend like that too.....dare I say he's my best friend. I'm beyond OCD about my stuff. He's well aware of that and over the years he has become very much like me. We're militant about taking care of our things. He'd let me borrow just about anything, and me the same....almost without question. If he wanted to borrow my boat, I'd be able to trust he'd take care of it as good if not better than my standards (which are really frickin high already). He'd also take care of it if something was to happen, no doubt.....and likely return it with a full tank of gas whether it had it in it or not when he picked it up. He's also had a good amount of seat time in my boat towing me wake surfing, and has as much if not more boating experience than me. He is, like you mentioned yours, few and far between. Even family I wouldn't trust to borrow my boat. Hell i've got a BIL that wants to borrow my "free" jet ski....and I'm like uhhhhhh nope. When I was younger he backed that same jet ski trailer up underneath MY TRUCK! So nope, not a chance in hell.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope for me. I would never ask to borrow anything like a boat unless it was some kind of emergency or life depended on it.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If he's your best friend, he shouldn't be putting you in this situation. I get mad enough at myself for the gouges I put in the hull. How would you feel if your friend put a nice gash in your boat? Will he pay to fix it? Nothing good will come of this situation if you let him use your boat. What if the friend decides to bury your bow in the sub move because he's seen it on you tube or perhaps by you?

Last edited: