• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

You want to borrow my boat? Say what!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No is not the correct response...

More like H3!! NO.

Absolutely not.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
That’s why I’m struggling with this. This guy is my best friend and I trust him with my life. If he messed it up I do believe he would make it right and he can afford it. My problem is, I have just gotten to a place in my life In the last couple years where I’m doing better than just getting by. I’ve had to bust my ass for every nickel, managed to keep a job through a corporate bankruptcy and a house that made me house poor and underwater during the housing crash. Finally got a nice used truck, mostly because I think new ones are crazy overpriced. Then treated myself to this boat! I grew up poor, not poverty level, but not middle class either! I have taken in family members in their time of need or down on their luck. Helped friends with addictions and mental issues all while raising an autistic child of our own. Is it wrong that I just want something that is mine? It sounds petty when I say it, but I think I deserve at least that much!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not selfish in the least man. My guess is this dude probably didn’t grow up the way you did? There’s a vast difference between those that earn what they have and those that feel entitled to what they think they earned. Major problem in America today.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bottom line is it's your boat you do what you want with it.

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have a brand new 2020 195s that I have exactly 3 hours on and my buddy texts me today, “I’m gonna need your boat for a week in June!” When I told him no he got mad and bailed on 2 boat trips we had planned and I already paid for! So here’s my question, would you lend your brand new boat to a friend? If it were a used under $10K boat I probably wouldn’t have batted an eye and said yes. I just have a hard time with a brand new $40K boat that is my baby. Am I overreacting?
👎

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another thing is to ask yourself what's more important in your life at the moment.... Your new boa or your best friend that , in your words would do anything for you. Me personally , my boat is going to get nicks and scratches over time so I didn't hesitate to ask my buddy of almost 40 years to use my boat.... And my brand new truck to pull it.. and I'll offer again.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would just say not for a little bit maybe next year.
but I don’t loan out my boat, same with construction equipment. Friend asked to borrow bulldozer I told him no I’ll just bring it over and do it for him. Way easier and liability wise also.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
If you said no and not like ( Hell no) to offend him. Then he canceled 2 other outing/ trips in spite. That right there shows you how he will treat you if/ when he messes up your new boat. Now if he is well off and you have taken his Mustang Gt500 or Vett for the weekend it would be OK to share. And if he is that well off where is his boat. There are a lot of people out their that will tell you how big of a wast of $$$ a boat is but will be the first to want to take it out on there own for the weekend.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Tell your friend or Ex friend hat he is too immature to borrow your boat , too selfish and inconsiderate and to grow up, unless he saved your life or the life of a family member. And somehow I just don't see that mentality taking a bullet for someone else. He owes you an apology.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Best friend? Oof.... my own brother had a boat several years before I did, and I never even felt like I had the right to ask him to borrow it. Too many things that can go wrong while boating, too many things that you have to learn, etc. It’s not like borrowing and driving a car. You can’t put it in park and walk away. This is exactly why my wife and I made a pact before we bought our boat. We agreed that if anyone ever asked, we would say that purchasing the boat was contingent on not loaning it out. We have a united front on that. Aside from that, to be honest, if he’s texting you about borrowing it, that’s inconsiderate to begin with, much less “telling” you he’s gonna need it? For a week?! Hard pass, easy decision.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
His reaction is that of an immature person. He should pay for his cancellation and apologize to you. Everyone is entitled to do what they want with what they own. This is brand new boat is not available yet to be loaned, simple. Maybe one day but not yet. Sorry pal.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Another thing is to ask yourself what's more important in your life at the moment.... Your new boa or your best friend that , in your words would do anything for you. Me personally , my boat is going to get nicks and scratches over time so I didn't hesitate to ask my buddy of almost 40 years to use my boat.... And my brand new truck to pull it.. and I'll offer again.
But, it sounds like you offered to let your buddy borrow your stuff. I’m all for that. But a 1 line text (paraphrasing) “dude, I need your boat for a week”. That’s not right, in my opinion. He at least could have explained the situation and asked over the phone. This is way too casual of a request for as much commitment that is required.

I’m willing to borrow a friends stuff (if offered) and I’ll offer my stuff to a friend, but no way am I going to ask to borrow something like this. If I’m in a jam, I could see myself asking for help... but this doesn’t sound like an “in a jam” situation.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would loan my boat to a good friend only if they could prove that they can handle it for the entire trip. By this I mean starting with hooking the trailer up to disconnecting it at the end of the trip. Insurance will cover any damage but I would be clear that I expect them to pay the deductible and the incremental premium costs for the next few years of renewal. This conversation first came up on the other site but was focused on whether members would let your wives take their boats out by themselves. I think my response was the same, if she can do it all she is free to boat solo.

Caveat: CA is a community property state so my wife is a co-owner and doesn’t need my permission to use the boat.

That said, maybe the OP was being tested by his friend who could careless about boating and just goes for the company. If so the OP failed, miserably.

Anyone remember when Will at Jet Boat Pilot borrowed his customer’s boat so that he could take his fiancée out to dinner on the water and propose to her? I can’t see turning a good friend down in a situation like that. Maybe the OP should have asked a few questions before saying no. Maybe he did and I just missed it.

A corollary to this is renting your boat out. Do it through a broker and all advertising, vetting and damages would be covered. I’ve seen a guy with a 240 renting it out privately on Craigslist for $800 per day. I just couldn’t do it for that price. I’m sure I could at a higher price although I don’t know what that is, I’m pretty sure no one would pay it.

Last edited:

Aqua Jetaway

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No! You need some new friends. Shouldn’t be hard to find because you’ve got a sweet new boat 😉.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But, it sounds like you offered to let your buddy borrow your stuff. I’m all for that. But a 1 line text (paraphrasing) “dude, I need your boat for a week”. That’s not right, in my opinion. He at least could have explained the situation and asked over the phone. This is way too casual of a request for as much commitment that is required.

I’m willing to borrow a friends stuff (if offered) and I’ll offer my stuff to a friend, but no way am I going to ask to borrow something like this. If I’m in a jam, I could see myself asking for help... but this doesn’t sound like an “in a jam” situation.
I do agree

BrentEB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How would you feel if he got injured or killed on your boat due to lack of experience? Could you handle the lawsuit?

Evidently you're not his best friend. Sometimes it's tough to say "No". You did the right thing.