• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

You want to borrow my boat? Say what!

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So I have a brand new 2020 195s that I have exactly 3 hours on and my buddy texts me today, “I’m gonna need your boat for a week in June!” When I told him no he got mad and bailed on 2 boat trips we had planned and I already paid for! So here’s my question, would you lend your brand new boat to a friend? If it were a used under $10K boat I probably wouldn’t have batted an eye and said yes. I just have a hard time with a brand new $40K boat that is my baby. Am I overreacting?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
No you are 110% in the right. I couldn't do it. Hell I make mistakes and that is on me. But if someone else messed up my boat I could not let that go. Your insurance probably wouldn't like it either.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only other person I would trust would be my brother.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a huge NO from me as well.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A hard "Hell No"!!! from me. And my newest boat is 13 YO.

Last edited:

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
No you are 110% in the right. I couldn't do it. Hell I make mistakes and that is on me. But if someone else messed up my boat I could not let that go. Your insurance probably wouldn't like it either.
I’m with you! If it were a car, camper, motorcycle I probably wouldn’t have an issue either. You use them and accidents are rare. I just feel like there are 100 ways to f@ck a boat up, 50 of them without even trying! I’m sure I’m going to mess my boat up at some point and I’m already hating myself for it in advance!!!

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No way, only two people I’d loan my boat to. Let your buddy rent a boat. If that’s too much $$ than he shouldn’t be borrowing your 40k boat

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't let anyone borrow anything other than a kayak. Even a $5000 boat. No fing way

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Never, ever lend out anything you would be upset to lose. This includes money, vehicles, tools, homes, etc. We all have people we know we wouldn’t trust with a potato gun, those people were trusted by someone at one time...If this dude is that upset about it he is not a friend nor do you need him in your life. He’s willing to risk your friendship because he’s cheap? No thanks.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Absolutely not!

The only other person I would trust would be my brother.
I wouldn't even trust any of my brothers with mine.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would have another conversation with him and let him know why you feel the way you do and that mistakes happen all the time with jet boats. I also think your friend will come around and understand why you said no overtime.

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hard pass for me too. Plus, I would question the friendship. Can’t think of many friends of mine that would text me a question like that. Also, just out of curiosity, were you invited on this trip too? What nerve.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You know your buddy... can he afford to replace it?
Would He? Would he take care of it? The fact that it made it into the forum says he’s likely not really a friend. If you don’t mind we are all dying to Know how old this person is. That will likely shed some light on the whole “ My buddy won’t let me loose with 40k, time to pout” Attitude.

I don’t know anyone who would ask to borrow my boat, the guys I trust to have their own lol. Good call on the Hard No!

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know your buddy... can he afford to replace it?
Would He? Would he take care of it? The fact that it made it into the forum says he’s likely not really a friend. If you don’t mind we are all dying to Know how old this person is. That will likely shed some light on the whole “ My buddy won’t let me loose with 40k, time to pout” Attitude.

I don’t know anyone who would ask to borrow my boat, the guys I trust to have their own lol. Good call on the Hard No!
I was going to say the same thing. My rule I live by is always be prepared to pay cash for anything you borrow. If you can’t swing that, don’t borrow it

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Judging by his reaction, you did the right thing.

I've got a close friend that I would trust with my life. He can take the boat and truck anytime he wants. A few select others would have access if they asked. All would get a days worth of training first. The vast majority of people I know would NOT have access to my boat with my attendance.

I'm an only child. It took me a LONG time to learn to trust and share. I've always been very conscious of my borrowing as well. Took a year for my close friend mentioned above to talk me into riding his spare Ducati. Once cleared, and he was sure he was OK with it, we've been riding together for years. I think I have more miles on it than he does at this point. I've been paying taxes/tags/maintenance on it for at least the last 6 yrs. If he called and asked for the boat, he'd have full access. He could take the truck too of he wanted. He'd most likely leave me his S6 to drive while he had it though.........these kinds of friends are few and far between. They also sure as shit don't get upset if you say no.

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
NFW!!!!!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is he kidding?! F to the nope. Buy your own boat bro.