• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yukon vs Expedition

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Doh!
fixed...

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Bronco will be a totally different animal. Not near the seating or towing of an Expedition.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The 2020s are coming out don’t you mean bronco?
Yeah. Bronco doesn't trickle my fancy. I need a big ol full size SUV. Got a family of 5 with frequent visits from Grand parents

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2016 expidtion El and it don't seem planted towing my ar230 at highway speed it seems to feel loose .It may be the tires but they are d loads I chalk it up to the independent rear suspension.I am also used to towing with a f 350

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow our boat with a ‘15 Expedition I bought used. It had a weird transmission shudder that was solved with a flush. Ever since then it has been perfect. Took it to Asheville last weekend and averaged 20.8 on the lieometer, which included a 3 hour stop and start drive on the Blue Ridge parkway. Pulls the boat with no issues and fits all 6 of us comfortably.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I test drove both a Yukon and Expedition a few years back. It wasn't just the lack of space behind the third tow of the GM it was the lack of legroom in the third row that did it for me. Both my wife and I are 6' so we went with the Expedition expecting the kids to outpace us in their teenage years (my oldest is now 16 and taller than me). Glad we made the choice, now own an 18 Expedition EL and a 15 F-150 King Ranch, both with the EcoBoost. Not great on gas, but never had an issue towing... or stopping.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve had a 2012 Yukon XL with heavy duty tow package and now I have a 2018 expedition max. I’ve also rented the newer Yukon’s under the current model as well. Both are excellent but One decisive factor is the independent rear suspension in the expedition allows a Usable third row seat Wake makes it reasonably comfortable for adults on a long trip. GM products do not a Independent rear suspension which means the floorboard is much higher up and therefore not comfortable on the leg room for the passengers back there. Makes a huge difference for anyone that’s over 5 feet.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We recently picked up a 2019 Expedition Limited to be my wife's daily driver and backup tow vehicle for the boat. It's hands down the nicest vehicle that we've ever owned! I'm 6'4" and our kids are, or will be soon, tall like me. The legroom in the second and third rows is really good. I can adjust the front seat to my comfort and then get in the second row and my knees don't touch the back of the front seat. The technology and power in it is really astonishing. We got the Limited that actually has the Platinum trim wheels and it really is a looker. Didn't get the max tow package because out of the gate it will tow 6k. Max tow puts it at 9200#'s. We didn't get 4wd cause we simply didn't need it. It rides very well for such a large vehicle and it drives almost like a car. We briefly looked at the Durango and decided that it was too small and didn't shop the GM variety at all. Good luck with your shopping and decision.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve had a 2012 Yukon XL with heavy duty tow package and now I have a 2018 expedition max. I’ve also rented the newer Yukon’s under the current model as well. Both are excellent but One decisive factor is the independent rear suspension in the expedition allows a Usable third row seat Wake makes it reasonably comfortable for adults on a long trip. GM products do not a Independent rear suspension which means the floorboard is much higher up and therefore not comfortable on the leg room for the passengers back there. Makes a huge difference for anyone that’s over 5 feet.
To clarify, you're referring to the standard size Yukon, not the XL. We have both and the standard doesn't have great 3rd row foot room, but the XL moves the axle beneath the seats and has the same leg room as the main seating area which works perfect for adults.

BTW, if you need 3 rows and any amount of storage you should be looking at the XL. The standard is great around town and for an extra 3rd row, but not if you're also packing suitcases or coolers for a weekend away with a family of 5+.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would like to blame JB.net.....yet again.....for finding new and creative ways to spend my money.

I've been pricing Yukon XL's on carguru's all afternoon now. Thanks guys!
And I'm going to test drive the expedition tomorrow

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Keep in mind GM is coming out with updated big suv's and they are going to the independent rear suspension similar to the Expedition's.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
4x2 vs 4x4?

the number of times I’ve actually needed 4 wheel drive on my Tahoe is maybe in the once/twice a year range in the little snow we have.

now that we do most of the towing with my truck, I’m thinking hard about going 2 wheel drive on our next big suv (the wife’s family hauler and trip vehicle) The last several years, we have more ice than we do snow.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love having the all wheel drive on my pilot, and it helps on slippery ramps.

It does cost more in ongoing fuel and initial purchase, but I have always appreciated it.

It's a personal preference, you might be totally fine without it, and the car is simpler for it, so there is that.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
4x2 vs 4x4?
4x4. Always.

The number of times I've needed mine is low. Maybe 10/yr. If that. If I didn't have it then, I would have been calling in backup in the form of a buddy or a tow truck.

The penalty in ownership is low. Initial cost, fuel mileage reduction, and maintenance increase is a small percentage of total cost of ownership. I want the most capable tool in my toolbox, and the 4wd adds significant value for me.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought used and it had 4x4, but when I was looking it wasn’t a deciding factor for me. Having said that, I have used it more times than I thought. The piece of mind at the ramp is nice, and I am pretty pleased with my mpg’s so I can’t say it’s negatively impacting me that much there.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What about a jeep grand Cherokee? That's what we got when we bought our boat. Tows our 212x just fine even with the v6 4x4. The optional v8 can tow up to 7000 lbs I believe. One reason we got it was its size. Not too big and not too small. Easy to drive and park, and very comfortable. I will say it is somewhat "aged" as the design looks about the same since 2011. A refresh is coming 2021. But we lease it super cheap so no big deal.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Drove the expedition a few days ago. Dayumn! What a nice ride! I really liked the Yukon but this ford was much nicer