• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time Out With Cobra Jet Steering, some concerns /// fixed ///

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed Cobra Jet Steering last night and took the boat out today. It tracked better at low speed and no wake speed. At WOT It felt much harder to turn and stiffer. Also from 15 mph and up to WOT the boat would pull to the left, what I thought was considerable, but I could be wrong. I had checked the jets during install with a level and they were on. Also the steering feels like it has more play.

I am wondering if I missed something or is this the norm. This is only the second time I have driven a jet boat and the second time I had the boat in the water.

I watched this video and also read the instruction that Jeff sent.

I put the fin in the lowest position to put more of it in the water.

Any thoughts or advice?

2020 AR210

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
CJS1.jpgCJS2.jpgCJS3.jpg

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
If the jets are straight with the level across them and you adjusted afterwards for the 1/8th toe in on the fins, then it should track straight. Was the weight in the boat evenly distributed? Were you alone on the test drive after install? Because if you were more heavily loaded on the strbd side it will pull to port.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jet nozzles when under load are fighting to stay straight from the force being thrown through it.
The fins at speed will also stiffen up the steering as well. I am running the original magnum ak steering without fangs and feel it is not too difficult to turn at speed. I definitely can turn wheel with one hand with force. Not excessively hard though
As far as the pull to one side make sure its while driving in every direction so as to rule out wind, current, etc...
Do a measurement from both nozzles to the ride plate to make sure they are the same

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
your set to have the fins down all the time. If you wanted you could adjust the deflector to have it rise at speed. That is if the ak's will do that.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Your rudder is not 90 degrees from the picture it appears to need to be adjusted to the left . also did you follow the instructions about adding 1/2 turn to one end of each tie rod to tow the back of the nozzles out slightly and the leading edges in so it carves through the water at speed ? and make sure the original tie rod end you turn out is the right hand thread not the left hand. Once you get that set you have 4 different settings for the high speed influence so try a notch higher if you like.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Thrust Vectors make it harder to steer at higher speed, but the steering control at low speed is well worth the trade off.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeff,

I think it may be just the picture angle, everything was installed as specified, maybe I bumped something. I will go through and recheck everything tomorrow and retest on the water on Friday. Thanks for the input.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok I have checked with the level everything was in order. I towed them out 1/8 inch which they were not.. My original tie rod was stiff for some reason and that has been resolved. Will be going out tomorrow. Boat is on a slight left slope.
CJS Second reset.jpg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is it slightly harder at speed to turn? Yes. I prefer a heavy wheel on my boat just like on my sports car. More feedback. More precision.

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I installed Cobra Jet Steering last night and took the boat out today. It tracked better at low speed and no wake speed. At WOT It felt much harder to turn and stiffer. Also from 15 mph and up to WOT the boat would pull to the left, what I thought was considerable, but I could be wrong. I had checked the jets during install with a level and they were on. Also the steering feels like it has more play.

I am wondering if I missed something or is this the norm. This is only the second time I have driven a jet boat and the second time I had the boat in the water.

I watched this video and also read the instruction that Jeff sent.

I put the fin in the lowest position to put more of it in the water.

Any thoughts or advice?

2020 AR210
Add trim Tabs tracks amazing! Plus when you only have one person you can level it up. Cuts through a chop so much better

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What size and brand tabs did you add?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess my only concern with those is if I wanted to add a wake wedge later. Would I run into an issue because how close they are to the U bolt

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had Cobra Jet Steering on my boat now for almost a month, so it is time for me to give my personal opinion.

Once I had them adjusted properly they work fantastic. They do not decrease speed at all and the added steering at no wake and pulling watersports is fantastic, let alone WOT. If the weight load in the boat is evened out, I can let go of the steering wheel and they will keep the boat tracking straight. It also feels that the boat jumps on plane a bit quicker. Hard turning is tight and sharp. I have them in the fully down position.

Last night I was out and ran into someone who has an AR240 on the lake. They don't have any steering mods. He asked me about them since he saw them on the boat. I let him drive my boat around the lake once as I drove his. The steering performance was very noticeable on his boat and felt sloppy. Perhaps I am just used to the fins now. I gave him the info and he said he is going to get a set right away. Also suggested he get on this forum.

CJS are the only ones I have tried and I am glad that I did purchase them. Finally Jeff, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC was fantastic and emailed me back and forth when I was deciding and squaring away the installation. Money well spent.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have had Cobra Jet Steering on my boat now for almost a month, so it is time for me to give my personal opinion.

Once I had them adjusted properly they work fantastic. They do not decrease speed at all and the added steering at no wake and pulling watersports is fantastic, let alone WOT. If the weight load in the boat is evened out, I can let go of the steering wheel and they will keep the boat tracking straight. It also feels that the boat jumps on plane a bit quicker. Hard turning is tight and sharp. I have them in the fully down position.

Last night I was out and ran into someone who has an AR240 on the lake. They don't have any steering mods. He asked me about them since he saw them on the boat. I let him drive my boat around the lake once as I drove his. The steering performance was very noticeable on his boat and felt sloppy. Perhaps I am just used to the fins now. I gave him the info and he said he is going to get a set right away. Also suggested he get on this forum.

CJS are the only ones I have tried and I am glad that I did purchase them. Finally Jeff, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC was fantastic and emailed me back and forth when I was deciding and squaring away the installation. Money well spent.
Love my CJS Ultimates, wait til you put trim tabs on...a game changer with a big ride improvement over stock.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am about ready to finally order the Trim Tabs. LectroTabs. I was going to before, but I had to put the brakes on the spending last month a bit. I am debating on t either the MLC-1 and ALC-1. Big price difference. Russ mentioned that he would think the 10" x 14" would be what I should use. I am also hoping that they will still give me room for the wake device on the eyelet.

We will be in Lake michigan in a couple a weeks, I am hoping to have them installed by then, but I don't want to rush the install.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think it is beyond awesome that you had the opportunity to share what you had learned with the Cobra Jet Steering Fangs with someone new. I was certain when we took our first boat ride in our 242 Limited S that we had made a huge mistake because the boat was literally ALL OVER THE PLACE. After doing some research on the forum though I was introduced to the COBRA JET FANGS and it has been the best MOD to the boat yet!!!!