• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hour oil change

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I came out to do my oil change and feeling a little unprepared. The video I watched was a dual engine and it doesn't look the same as what I'm seeing.

The video showed two places to suck the oil from. I cant find that second place. Should I take the top cover off? I assume so. Here's a pic, if anyone could show where to suck the oil from, aside from that one obvious place, id appreciate it.

Attachments

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I came out to do my oil change and feeling a little unprepared. The video I watched was a dual engine and it doesn't look the same as what I'm seeing.

The video showed two places to suck the oil from. I cant find that second place. Should I take the top cover off? I assume so. Here's a pic, if anyone could show where to suck the oil from, aside from that one obvious place, id appreciate it.

Attachments

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a pump vacuum extractor. Small tube down the dipstick tube, and the vacuum will pull the oil out. FYI, not all the oil will come out as you can’t drain from the bottom like a car or truck.

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I can handle that. I just watched a video that showed a second suck point

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thank btw. Notbsure if that sounded ungrateful for the reply.

Bonfiggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Be very mindful to put back in what you took out, and no more. If doing it on the trailer get the engine as level as you can before checking the dipstick.

I overfilled mine a bit during my 10 hour change and my 195 was grouchy about it. Had to drain some to get some top end speed back.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Post the video you watched, maybe it'll trigger someone's memory

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
This may be the video......

Check out starting about the 11:55 mark. There is a hose in the back of the engine that is a second drain point to get the most oil possible out of the engine. He does reference the Service Manual.

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That's the video but I don't seem to have same engine. That's why I placed in 2022. My oil filter is in different place too I think

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I warmed engine up and started pumping out that back port. Couldn't get very deep and not much coming out. Started pumping from dip stick and getting more. Anyone know why I'm not getting very deep in that back hole and not getting much out?

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ok...I got all out of dip stuck i could and put all 4 qts back in. How much do they hold completely empty? The dip stick read between the two holes hot and cold. Seemed like it read above the top hole hot and cold before the change...

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I believe it’s 4qts. I couldn’t get everything out so I put in just a little less than 4qts. Pretty much put in what you pulled out. Probably won’t be exact but close. I also keep a quart of oil in the boat in the event it burns off for whatever reason. Also good to check in the water when you know the boat is as level as it’s designed to be. Just an FYI, at 50hrs do another change and plugs as recommended by the owners manual.

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thank you. I didnt have an old jug or way to see what I pulled out. I did save the empty new one to use next time. I pumped for over 30 minutes and was close to level. Guess I'll just take oil and the pump out in boat in case it turns out too high or low.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Should be in your owners manual for fill levels and quantities, but you may want to search for your service manual for a better set of instructions.

If your boat is like many others, there could be steps and ledges in the passageways, and it may take a bit of jiggling and fishing around to get past them

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. I didnt have an old jug or way to see what I pulled out. I did save the empty new one to use next time. I pumped for over 30 minutes and was close to level. Guess I'll just take oil and the pump out in boat in case it turns out too high or low.
Always measure what you take out. Don't blindy just put in the 4qts. Overfill, you lose performance and could slosh up in air filter which is a $60 mistake give or take to replace. When I do my oil changes I always put back in just a bit less than I take out as long as it is less than what the manual requirement is (your oil level can grow sometimes, with moisture, fuel, water, etc.), then when in the water I check it and add the appropriate amount to the oil level I prefer to run at.

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I understand. If I put in too much, wouldn't it be over the second hole in the dip stick?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That sucks. What's my best approach or if this situation? I haven't taken it out yet. I did idle for 3 min or so and it seemed normal. Should I just take a pump and container with me and try to get it right on the water?

I'm confused how some are saying they add on the water if you can't trust the dip stick.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep it right around half way between Low and Full. I keep mine a bit lower than that. Go out on the water run it for a few minutes at no wake speed. Stop. Wait a couple minutes so it all drains down. Take paper towel with you. then fully insert the dipstick and then take it out and lay the dipstick part on the paper towel, it will be real easy to read then. If you need to take some out do it then. You should be all set. Check your oil quality and level every outing after that.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited: